Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I have just received my first Brit Stops book with a window sticker in, both say they are valid until 28-02-2015 that is only 6 months away. Can I not use them after that.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Actually that's nearer 10m than 6.

But I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away just 'cos your membership has expired....would they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I wasn't in a hurry to get one but was very interested when I read about it, but typical me have to have it now I should have waited.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just read this on their website
'The Brit Stops 2014 guide to free motorhome stopoversis valid until the end of February 2015. Once again it costs just £25 (fourth year with no increase). '

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Not sure weather to return the book and then buy it again at beginning of Feb at least I will get a full year for the £25.00. I don't want to sound penny pinching but I would prefer to get 12 months for my £25 as apposed to 6 months

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We got ours last April and haven't used it but if we only use it once we'll be Quid's in on last years C&CC site in portsmouth, when we overnighted before the ferry. That was the one where she wouldn't unpadlock the barrier before 7am and then had a face on it like a smacked bottom

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not sure weather to return the book and then buy it again at beginning of Feb at least I will get a full year for the £25.00. I don't want to sound penny pinching but I would prefer to get 12 months for my £25 as apposed to 6 months
Don't quote me on this but it doesn't make a lot of difference, they very rarely ask you for it

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Don't quote me on this but it doesn't make a lot of difference, they very rarely ask you for it

We've used it about 8 times this year & no one asked for my book & certainly no one was interested in my windscreen sticker.

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have just finished travelling around for 3 weeks and have used Brit Stops about 6 times and no one looked at my sticker.

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had one last year but not this. The fact is that most of the places in it don't really mind if you're a paid up member as long as you support their business in some small way.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Had one last year but not this. The fact is that most of the places in it don't really mind if you're a paid up member as long as you support their business in some small way.
Exactly, it's only an adjunct to their business. If they wanted to boost stays they would obtain a CL certificate or site licence.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Exactly, it's only an adjunct to their business. If they wanted to boost stays they would obtain a CL certificate or site licence.

Except that they might not have the facilities or meet the requirements to become a CL/CS, or licensed site.

And even for 6 or 7 months membership - if you manage a couple of overnight stays, then you've most likely recouped your investment with Britstops.

Steve and his wife who have developed the programme keep increasing the number of locations hugely, year by year - the choice just keeps growing. Couldn't believe the latest email alone contained an extra 60 places - I think there was only just over 70 in the whole of the first guidebook in 2011.

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Except that they might not have the facilities or meet the requirements to become a CL/CS, or licensed site.

And even for 6 or 7 months membership - if you manage a couple of overnight stays, then you've most likely recouped your investment with Britstops.

Steve and his wife who have developed the programme keep increasing the number of locations hugely, year by year - the choice just keeps growing. Couldn't believe the latest email alone contained an extra 60 places - I think there was only just over 70 in the whole of the first guidebook in 2011.

Mike
True, as I said it's only an adjunct to their business. Mind you, we've been on a few CLs/CSs that are nothing more than a field with a dump point and a fresh water tap (not that we need any more).
Having said that, if they do want to attract people to stay why not become a CL? :)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Mike

The requirements are not a vigorous as the big clubs make them out to be. We were approached by a site that had toilet but no drinking water they harvested rain water for the toilet. We asked NE about this and they were happy for us to grant a 5 van CL site under the proviso that a supply of bottled water was made available.

This site however did not get licenced because they wanted to allow non members to use it and NE were adamant that the sites were for our members only at that time. They have now changed their mind on this issue and it is up to the club and landowner who uses the site.

I would suspect any pub that has space to allow Motorhomes to stop over could meet the requirements for a CL. It is a decision between the land owner and the certificating club. The club would however seek guidance from and inform the local planning authority, as it is part of its procedures to do so. They would also have to consult local residents.

At present without a licence they are limited to one van and only 28 nights per year.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
True, as I said it's only an adjunct to their business. Mind you, we've been on a few CLs/CSs that are nothing more than a field with a dump point and a fresh water tap (not that we need any more).
Having said that, if they do want to attract people to stay why not become a CL? :)

All fair comment. However, I suspect many Britstops just aren't interested in jumping through hoops - which I know aren't especially onerous for CL/CS recognition. And don't want to be bothered with managing bookings - quite a few Britstops don't require or need even a phone call in advance - just turn up. And some don't offer fresh water, and only a few offer black waste dumps. They would rather focus on running their mainstream business and, as you say, the overnighting motorhomes are just an adjunct - making the most of otherwise unused parking space.

Mike

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We got ours last April and haven't used it but if we only use it once we'll be Quid's in on last years C&CC site in portsmouth, when we overnighted before the ferry. That was the one where she wouldn't unpadlock the barrier before 7am and then had a face on it like a smacked bottom

Seems to be general issue for many of the 'big two' club sites nowadays, but there are a few notable exceptions.

Reactions: kcy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Seems to be general issue for many of the 'big two' club sites nowadays, but there are a few notable exceptions.

bit of a sweeping statement.. what sample size do you base that on. How many club sites have you visited this past year.. or five years ?

there are over 4,000 cls and cs and hundreds of club sites ..

I can only speak from experience.. the vast majority of club wardens and or managers and friendly .. and do a sterling job in what are often trying circumstances.. ie .. dealing with the public..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All fair comment. However, I suspect many Britstops just aren't interested in jumping through hoops - which I know aren't especially onerous for CL/CS recognition. And don't want to be bothered with managing bookings - quite a few Britstops don't require or need even a phone call in advance - just turn up. And some don't offer fresh water, and only a few offer black waste dumps. They would rather focus on running their mainstream business and, as you say, the overnighting motorhomes are just an adjunct - making the most of otherwise unused parking space.

Mike
Fair enough if they want to work within the restrictions as John pointed out I suppose ("At present without a licence they are limited to one van and only 28 nights per year".). However, if they want to attract more business shouldn't they be prepared to jump through the hoops?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
bit of a sweeping statement.. what sample size do you base that on. How many club sites have you visited this past year.. or five years ?

there are over 4,000 cls and cs and hundreds of club sites ..

I can only speak from experience.. the vast majority of club wardens and or managers and friendly .. and do a sterling job in what are often trying circumstances.. ie .. dealing with the public..

True, a very sweeping statement, and as to number of sites, lost count, but my personal experience has been less than favourable, and as I also said, with a few notable exceptions. I don't include CL's in my view.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi whereru,

Sorry, have just got back from a weekend Britstopping, and have just picked up on your post.

Whether or not it's "worth it" is really dependent on how often you actually use the book. Many European motorhomers come over and use Brit Stops for just a couple of weeks on and off in conjunction with camp sites, and still get good value. However if you don't think you'll use it between now and next March, it's probably best waiting till the new book comes out then.

(PM sent to you as well)

Hope that helps.

Steve :Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well we used it in 2013 across the UK for 3 months and it paid for itself 10 fold. Perhaps because we have a Spanish Reg MH they asked for membership in many of the places we stayed, but that was not a problem and many offered EHU free of charge.
We would used it again 100%.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)

Yes, but what happens if everyone does that. Poor old Brit Stops would struggle to survive :-(

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think Brit Stops is a great idea, and Steve has gone to a lot of effort providing the places to stop, and yes you can stop and ask in pubs and a lot will let you stay.............But its all about convenience, you look in the book and go straight there, the same as when we buy the Aires book for France / Spain / Portugal and Stellplatz book for Germany. So much easier finding places to stop.:)

We buy the ACSI book, only use it a few times when we leave our pitch in Spain, but those few times pay for the book.
We join the Caravan Club / the Camping and Caravan Club So we can use CLs and CS sites and the temporary holiday sites. (y)
If I thought we got our monies worth, I would probably be wrong...... :eek: ( We are only in the UK for 13 weeks ) :whistle: But we can stop where we want to be, and its what we pay for.(y) Bob.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Are Britstops missing out?

It does seem unfair paying 12 months subscription now for a book that runs out in 6 months time.

Yes it still may be worth it but it is likely as the 'year' (to February) runs out less will join Britstops and if you forget to join in Feb 2015 you might just not get round to joining again.

It might take more work organising (by Britstops) but I would guess that membership could increase substantially - 'impulse' buying can be very powerful ..........................

:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back