Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Hi folks,

I have a couple of things I want to fix to the inside of the habitation area of my Rollerteam Living 15P - pretty much a standard coach-built MH I think. One is a light fitting which weighs nothing at all, and the other is a table rail which will have to withstand a bit of force.

Can I just screw into the walls? What are they made of - what am I screwing into? What sort of screws grip well please?

Thanks!
-Mark

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Well the internal walls of your MH are screwed to the external walls so you should be OK. Just make sure the screws aren't too long. :doh:

All the ones I have come across are normally ply

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mark

I am not sure about the construction of the Rollerteam walls but they will be fibreboard or plywood inside, for lightweight fixing just a short screw is OK. For the heavier table rail you need to know if the inside panel is bonded to foam insulation or if there is a framework that you fix onto.

In general more is better than trying to go too big.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The walls of the average MH are about 2mm ply except where the wooden frame is.

Very difficult to hang something heavy.

Cavity wall fixing my work or may just pull through the ply.

When hanging a TV I went through an internal wall into the wardrobe and put a large ply plate in the wardrobe to spread the load.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Probably not appropriate here but when fitting a security box thing I used 'jack nuts' to provide a steel thread to bolt into. They work like a cavity wall anchor and installed with a machine screw. We used to use them to attach load rails to plywood linings.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
For lightweight stuff - double sided sticky pads - good ones

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well the internal walls of your MH are screwed to the external walls so you should be OK. Just make sure the screws aren't too long. :doh:

All the ones I have come across are normally ply
The internal walls are GLUED to the wooden frame and foam infill panels as is the outer skin.....at no point will they be nailed or screwed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A lot can be achieved with adhesive tape as suggested.
CA_04191415580456-XL.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you are screwing into something relatively thin it is worth making sure that the screw is the same size as the hole in what you are fixing as this stops the thin material from just pulling into the hole that you are fixing up, if this is not possible it is worth putting a thin baton on first if possible with the right size hole of course.

And some double sided tape as well as this just helps to spread the load, only if you don't plan to remove it again at some time though.

OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all.

Fixed the light to the side of a cupboard in the end so didn't matter anyway. The table rail may be more of a problem by the sound of it. I had a closer look at a bit of wall which has a hole in it (where the water filler comes through), and indeed it's just hardboard about 2mm thick on the inside, then some sort of insulation which doesn't look strong - so half the weight of the table would be hanging on 2mm hardboard. Not sure that is going to fly. Sky hooks it is.

Thanks for all the replies!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

For the table rail - if it is against a flat (ish) wall cut a panel (faced ply, MDF) matching the wall to the height you need for the rail and width of the table.

Fasten the rail on the top edge of the panel and fix panel to the wall with double sided tape or adhesive.

This will carry the weight of that edge of the table vertically downwards

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Unfortunately there's a little ledge below the table - it doesn't go to the floor. The ledge itself is also not very well supported (in fact it has torn free from the wall already) so can't take the weight of the table.

The reason for wanting to install a rail is so the table can stay put when we're on the move. (We tend not to stay in the same place more than one night in a row, or at least go out in the van during the day.) I have another idea, which is to fix a clip to the floor, and clip the table foot into it...

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
As a fellow owner of a roller 15 P I don't think the walls are very thick or strong for fixing anything heavy .By the way did you read the fixed bed debate on here,when people were saying no lounge space if you have fixed bed,I think they haven't seen our vans.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back