Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
hi we was on the a 34 yesterday evening in the rain when a car being driven by a 20 year old girl and a passanger in the car with her was a young baby .
started to over take us at high speed lost control of her car sending her car right in front of our m/home I never hit her at this point .
but she went into the trees on the side of the road and back out onto the road and into the side of our m/h .
then up into the air and ripped the top off the cab yes the top .
her and her baby are or where in hospital not sure if they are still there
why do kids have to drive so bloody fast.
our m/home does not look to good the inside of our m/h is coved in the engine oil from her car

Last edited:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
The passenger was having a baby!!?

I guess that's why she was driving fast

Lucky to be alive .......how's the van?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
MY GOD!! Hope your OK. Think I would have had a baby if that happened to me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
no her passanger was a very young baby.
and not sure on our m/home it don't look to good

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Might be driving a box right now, who knows after a smash like that??

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds awful - a frightening experience for all concerned. In spite of the apparent stupid action of the young driver, I hope she and the baby will be OK.

I guess you must be pretty shaken too. Hope you can get over it without too much difficulty, and also sort out the mess with your van - trusting the insurance companies don't mess you about.

Best of luck.

Mike

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Goodness me, hope they're OK and that she learns a hard lesson from it, and hope your motorhome gets sorted out properly so you're not left disadvantaged in any way because of this

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I blame the government, (always do) the driving test has nothing to do with driving, all they are taught is how to pass the test, not how to drive. Glad you are OK and hope they are too!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Never met you 'Mikebeaches', but I was horrified to hear about your incident. I frequently hear reports of bad accidents on that road.

Think of it this way, you are lucky to be alive!!

Despite her bad driving skills in the rain (I guess she aquaplaned?) I hope that she and the babe are ok?

WHEN OH WHEN are we going to teach young drivers (any drivers for that matter) proper driving skills and the dangers of driving? I presume that this girl is not exactly a novice? She may have had as much as 3 years experience.

I would like to see the 'rain rules' that they have in other countries applied here, where speed limits are reduced when it's raining. And enforce it!

People are cocooned in modern cars with all of the safety aids, virtual noiseless environments and brains full of the pace and distractions of modern life. To some, speed is just a digit on the speedo!

Sorry to hear about the extensive damage to the MH. We wash them, polish them, talk about them on here and revere them BUT, at the end of the day, it's a vehicle. It can be fixed. You can't be patched up so easily.

Good luck, let us know what the outcomes are.

James

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Glad to hear that you both are OK - that is the most important thing!!
Yes, we all treat our MH like treasured babies, but at the end of the day they can be repaired/replaced your health can't.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad that you are OK . All too often it is a young driver who looses control and causes an accident often with fatal consequences. Let us know how you re getting on with repairs and insurance and also how the mother an baby are doing .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never met you 'Mikebeaches', but I was horrified to hear about your incident. I frequently hear reports of bad accidents on that road.

Despite her bad driving skills in the rain (I guess she aquaplaned?) I hope that she and the babe are ok?

WHEN OH WHEN are we going to teach young drivers (any drivers for that matter) proper driving skills and the dangers of driving? I presume that this girl is not exactly a novice? She may have had as much as 3 years experience.

I would like to see the 'rain rules' that they have in other countries applied here, where speed limits are reduced when it's raining. And enforce it!

People are cocooned in modern cars with all of the safety aids, virtual noiseless environments and brains full of the pace and distractions of modern life. To some, speed is just a digit on the speedo!

Sorry to hear about the extensive damage to the MH. We wash them, polish them, talk about them on here and revere them BUT, at the end of the day, it's a vehicle. It can be fixed. You can't be patched up so easily.

James
If you said to that girl....."Just stand at the edge of this 1000ft cliff holding your baby", she would run a mile Now ask her to drive overtake at a fast speed in the rain, no problem.
This has got to be down to this perverse feeling of invincibility that some younger car drivers feel???

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

James

Hi James

Agree with all you say, BUT thankfully, and for clarification, it wasn't me that was involved!

It was 'slimbob' - the original poster that started the thread - who experienced and suffered the accident.

Thanks for the good wishes nonetheless.

Mike

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Not a nice experience for the op to go through and naturally my sympathies to both parties involved.
Don't wish to stir things up or hijack the post BUT why are the young drivers nearly always castigated for there driving ?
In our area as I am sure everywhere else we have many elderly drivers who to put it bluntly should be taken off the road. No need to go in to all the reasons why as I am sure we all encounter them.

OP
OP
S

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
I did want to ask her if she had not seen the rain.
what has made this really hard for us we lost our oldest daughter 8 years ago from riding her m/bike .
so we know all too well what could of been

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Glad you are ok.

Women really shouldn't be driving cars.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I did want to ask her if she had not seen the rain.
what has made this really hard for us we lost our oldest daughter 8 years ago from riding her m/bike .
so we know all too well what could of been
Oh my god Slimbob, I'm devastated for you all. You guys for the incident and the terrible shake up you've just had and of course for the young lady and the baby. I only hope you all recover ok.

Also really saddened by the thought of the loss of your daughter too. You've certainly been through it all and I know if there was anything that any of us Funsters could do for you, just ask, as I'm sure one of us would be close by to help.

Good luck Slimbob.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Also should add that I've just clocked up 790 miles in the past 10 days and now sitting in a lovely site near St Austell, Cornwall.

Of all the miles we've covered so far, the worst drivers we've witnessed has to be the young ladies. Why the insurance companies and national stats state that they're the safest, is beyond me. Mobile phones, short tight skirts restricting their leg movements, high heels and the dreaded makeup in the mirror, has left us speechless at times.

Only today we managed to get a photo of a girl, in the fast lane and with a car full of people, sending a text on her phone while overtaking me. Moments later her right side tyres were off the carriageway. Thank goodness she never crashed into the barrier.

Moments later we watched a small Renault and caravan jackknife and plough into the trees. Luckily it looked like no one was hurt, but a young girl was driving and 2 small girlies in the back.

Why can't we teach people to drive properly instead of just passing a test. There is so much more we could do for our young folk on the road, including speed awareness, the motorways, towing....the list goes on.

I'm not having a pop at just girlie drivers, just passing on what I have witnessed over the pass hundreds of miles.

Stay safe Funsters as we're all special to each other.
image.jpg

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Also should add that I've just clocked up 790 miles in the past 10 days and now sitting in a lovely site near St Austell, Cornwall.

Of all the miles we've covered so far, the worst drivers we've witnessed has to be the young ladies. Why the insurance companies and national stats state that they're the safest, is beyond me. Mobile phones, short tight skirts restricting their leg movements, high heels and the dreaded makeup in the mirror, has left us speechless at times.

Only today we managed to get a photo of a girl, in the fast lane and with a car full of people, sending a text on her phone while overtaking me. Moments later her right side tyres were off the carriageway. Thank goodness she never crashed into the barrier.

Moments later we watched a small Renault and caravan jackknife and plough into the trees. Luckily it looked like no one was hurt, but a young girl was driving and 2 small girlies in the back.

Why can't we teach people to drive properly instead of just passing a test. There is so much more we could do for our young folk on the road, including speed awareness, the motorways, towing....the list goes on.

I'm not having a pop at just girlie drivers, just passing on what I have witnessed over the pass hundreds of miles.

Stay safe Funsters as we're all special to each other.
View attachment 38550

You're looking at the tight short skirts :sneaky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Something you well could have done without, hope it's all sorted out for you with the Insurance. We were wondering wether or not to get a dash cam or not then Jaws had them for sale and we got one, after reading this pleased we did.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Glad you are both uninjured but can imagine your distress at being involved in an accident after losing your daughter. 7 years on for me and I still jump occasionally at motorbike noise.

I really wish the UK would follow France in having reduced speeds in rain. Of course sensible drivers do this but then have to endure the idiot behind who doesn't agree.

Take care of yourselves and look out for any signs of delayed shock in the next few days. Given your loss there is always an increased risk of emotional impact.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I blame the government, (always do) the driving test has nothing to do with driving, all they are taught is how to pass the test, not how to drive. Glad you are OK and hope they are too!
I recall the same thing being said when I was learning over 30 years ago so the same factor probably applies to many of us older drivers as well as to today's learners :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back