Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
hi, i am looking to purchase a oil filled radiator to use in my motorhome whilst away over the xmas period. i am not sure what voltage will be best as i am worried about tripping the electric.- any recommendations.-thanks lynn::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
I assume you mean wattage as the volts will be 240 anyway, try for a 2 kw = 2000watts with two settings, then if you do trip out just use setting one, we use one that size ok mainly on maximum without any problems, but depends where your going
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just bought one of these.

Link Removed

I took the £34 one with timer and thought it good value for money:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just bought one of these.

Link Removed

I took the £34 one with timer and thought it good value for money:winky:
3 settings, even better and a timer!! good move John and a good price too:thumb::thumb:
Gungadin:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have 2 X 500 watt panel heater in my bus but hardly take the chill out the air.

Yes mine is an RV buty going back to my vanning days 500 watt setting in the caravan only took the chill out of the air.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Why are people so keen on oil filled heaters?

There are larger, heavier and less responsive than the panel heater!!!!!!!!!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
we have a panel heater and a fan heater, both running together they dont trip the electric.
We prefer to be warmed by gas though, more expensive, yes but much warmer glow inside:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Because they are much safer than a convector or fan heater..they don't need to be bulky, we have two 800 watt DeLonghi super slim wall mounted oil filled heaters, only about 1in thick. They keep the RV above 10 - 12 c above ambient ..

Dimplex also make them ..

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Because they are much safer than a convector or fan heater..they don't need to be bulky, we have two 800 watt DeLonghi super slim wall mounted oil filled heaters, only about 1in thick. They keep the RV above 10 - 12 c above ambient ..

Dimplex also make them ..

With young children in the "van" safety is paramount to us.

I am after 2 such panel heaters at a reasonable price if anyone can recommend any.:thumb:

We have the one quartz type and a fan heater for instant warm up if necessary plus the gas-fired blown air of the RV so should be quite snug.::bigsmile:

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Get a decent sized hamster-wheel for the kids, that'll keep them warm - then use it to power your oil-filled radiators - easy-peasy. All you need to do is whip them up once in a while if they start flagging.

Keep the kids warm, occupied and fit - whilst you can sit back and relax - what's the problem?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
With young children in the "van" safety is paramount to us.

I am after 2 such panel heaters at a reasonable price if anyone can recommend any.:thumb:

We have the one quartz type and a fan heater for instant warm up if necessary plus the gas-fired blown air of the RV so should be quite snug.::bigsmile:

Have a look here >>>

Link Removed

Less than half the price we paid for them a year ago from Argos .. !

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
oil heater

i bought one last year they are brilliant in my motor home the good thing is windows dont steam up in the night mine is a 700watt and it works ok on sites hookups

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Get a decent sized hamster-wheel for the kids, that'll keep them warm - then use it to power your oil-filled radiators - easy-peasy. All you need to do is whip them up once in a while if they start flagging.

Keep the kids warm, occupied and fit - whilst you can sit back and relax - what's the problem?

I really don't think they'll take to that Moandick.:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The wheel alone might take a bit of finding.:RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just seen these on eBAY.

Not a well-known make but look compact and they deliver.

Bionaire® 600W Panel Heater + Wireless Remote BPH1009

State Of The Art Technology-Free Standing or Wall MountItem number: 110302422146
rtCurve.gif
s.gif

Mark breen

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
hi, i am looking to purchase a oil filled radiator to use in my motorhome whilst away over the xmas period. i am not sure what voltage will be best as i am worried about tripping the electric.- any recommendations.-thanks lynn::thumb:

I have 3.
Make sure you have 16 amps as 10 will blow.
We were at the grand bournard in the french alps last xmas on 10amps had to keep switching things on and off.
Used the on board furnace to get the heat up first thing then keep 2 small oil rads on all day.The big one needed to much power
Regards "The Breens"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have 3.
Make sure you have 16 amps as 10 will blow.

Just to clarify this..

A 10A supply gives you a total available power of ~ 2,300 watts
A 16A supply gives you a total available power of ~ 3,680 watts

Do your sums, add up your wattage or amps, don't forget the fridge, battery charger, water heater, TV etc etc.

The remainder is available for space heating.

Each kilowatt of heating uses ~ 4.3 Amps, so a 3kw heater will trip a 10A supply.

An 800 watt heater draws ~ 3.5A

The wattages for all appliances are on the data labels.

S

stagman

Deleted User

Personally I would go for a ceramic fan heater.That's what I use .It's wattage you can select 1kw or 2kw plus you can alter the fan speed.I find it spreads the heat better around the van unlike the others the heat tends rise first before dispersing.

M

mani01

Deleted User
Personally I would go for a ceramic fan heater.That's what I use .It's wattage you can select 1kw or 2kw plus you can alter the fan speed.I find it spreads the heat better around the van unlike the others the heat tends rise first before dispersing.

YES!!! exactly my reasons for using the ceramic fan heater - that and it's dirt cheap in curry's (or it was when i purchased).

it has the advantage of keeping condensation off the windows as the air is circulating, so no more misted windows on the inside when the outside temp drops low.

i've put a curtain across the driver's cab area instead of putting up the silver screens on the windows - its almost as effective at keeping the warmth in, and works towards restricting the heat to the habitation unit only, making it a lot more effective.

cheers al, a relative newbie to motorhoming

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I use a 1500W oil filled heater and never had any bother with it, cost £20 and used it over three winters now.

Used a fan heater for a while but the fan coming on and switching off during the night woke me up.

Ralph

Last edited:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Well I was about to tell you about our cheap mini 600W radiator we bought from Focus "Do It if you're lucky" as we call it, a few months ago the heater was £12 which i thought was a bargain, but now winter is approaching the same heater is £29.99...someone somewhere is making a profit!

anyway, here's the link -> Link Removed

Its a nice small oil filled radiator though keeps our motorhome snug. :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We bought one of those at £12 in the summer (!) as I thought it was a bargain, too, to use in an outdoor building and when I returned a few weeks back to get one for the motorhome they were £29.99!! I used to use the blown air on electric low setting, all the time, but its just too expensive now so opted for the tiny Focus rad which is perfect other than that it doesn't have a timer, but thats easily overcome by using a plug-in timer.

Laurie :thumb:

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No

Have an 800 watt oil-filled with thermostat abd it's a little marvel. This one is a Home-Tek (Roe Head House, Far Common, Mirfield, West Yorkshire). Not sure but they may have a website. Check it out. Only cost 39 euro. Now convert that to BPs. I keep it in the van also during the winter layoff as well and wouldn't use anything else.:Smile:

S

stagman

Deleted User

Just a warning .The oil filled have known to leak and when they do look out.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We've had oil filled of all sizes for many years and I'd not known one leak yet, but I guess its possible......

Panel heaters I've always found far less effective than the oil filled, perhaps because some of the heat is lost directly into the wall area it is mounted on. Also most Euro vans lack the free wall space you need to mount a panel!! Generally, oil filled are viewed as one of the safest heater options and keeping it on a very low setting in the motorhome keeps the interior condensation free and stops the boiler dumping when its parked up on the drive and not in use. Its still a better option than running the blown air 24/7........

spider

Free Member
Mar 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
Hi we had two 2k oil rad from aldi £35 each we got them for my sons home while his heating being sorted. then we used one, we had no prob with it we got 31ft m/h and it did the trick MOST of the time, wife likes it hot lol.will say best thing we ever got was elec under blanket "superb" but i was thinking about panel heaters in bedroom/bathroom may be 500 or 700w to take chill off and a thin heater in front of van.2k? as we thort would give more room but was hopeing to find out if any good before buying same as you. hope iv not confused things . dave.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi we had two 2k oil rad from aldi £35 each we got them for my sons home while his heating being sorted. then we used one, we had no prob with it we got 31ft m/h and it did the trick MOST of the time, wife likes it hot lol.will say best thing we ever got was elec under blanket "superb" but i was thinking about panel heaters in bedroom/bathroom may be 500 or 700w to take chill off and a thin heater in front of van.2k? as we thort would give more room but was hopeing to find out if any good before buying same as you. hope iv not confused things . dave.

Be carefull with heaters in the bathroom they have to be suitably rated for that use.We use a downflow heater.It is a fan heater fitted high up the wall with pull cord.Depends what you want you can have them with thermostat and also selectablle heat output.Panel heaters ok in bedrooms depending on size of rooms will govern what size and how many you need.If you need any further please let me know.:thumb:

spider

Free Member
Mar 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
Thanks stagman, sorry i mean panel heater in bedroom and because its open plan will heat bathroom if that makes sence.. bedroom is queen bed with room to walk around so not big..we have just had two 400w panel heaters to try so putting one in bedroom and one in lounge area then will see what we need to top up with, would imagine that bedroom will be ok with 400w but lounge ?? maybe 1500w or two 1000w we hope to get away with heaters in middle of room if poss. thanks again :thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thanks stagman, sorry i mean panel heater in bedroom and because its open plan will heat bathroom if that makes sence.. bedroom is queen bed with room to walk around so not big..we have just had two 400w panel heaters to try so putting one in bedroom and one in lounge area then will see what we need to top up with, would imagine that bedroom will be ok with 400w but lounge ?? maybe 1500w or two 1000w we hope to get away with heaters in middle of room if poss. thanks again :thumb:

I would consider a mix of smaller heaters spread around rather than one powerfull heater .If you get the 1.5kw with stat and selectable heat output it should give you plenty to play with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back