Good site, Aire and bar in Burgundy (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
image.jpg
If you are visiting Burgundy, or just passing through on the way to the Med or home again, this may be of interest. The village of St. Gengoux-le-National is about 25 minutes from the Autoroute, taking the exit for Chalon-sur-Saone, (South/Sud)' approx halfway between Dijon and Lyon.

Initially follow the signs for Buxy, then St. Gengoux-le-National. The village is of medieval origins and many of the narrow streets are still paved with the original pave. There is a very good Aire in what was the old railway station with hard standing and good water/elec/waste disposal access. The Voie Verte cycle way passes within feet of the Aire and provides a paved, safe route for cyclists of all ages being entirely free of motorised traffic. Attractive villages are easily reached by cycle, as is the Chateau at Cormatin, about 8km away.

For those who prefer a camp site, Camping Moulin de Collonge is passed on the route from Buxy to St. Gengoux in the village of St. Boil. The site is small, (56 pitches) with a covered pool, swimming and fishing lake and pizzeria. It is also within 800 metres of the cycle track. However there is no dedicated motorhome service point.

If you visit the area there is a market at St Gengoux on the first and third Tuesday of each month and a smaller one at Buxy every Thursday.

In St. Gengoux the Bar de Marche, found at the bottom of the Main Street, opposite the post office is well worth a visit. Owned and run by Ex-pat Lillian and her daughter Claire it is a mine of information regarding the area and, of course, fluent English is always available.

We only found the area by accident when a problem with our Motorhome meant a 3 day layover at Camping Moulin de Collonge. A lucky find.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes this aire is well worth a visit and is often quite busy . I hot sunny weather it does not have any real shade . Great for cycling on the Voie Verte though .

bessie07

Free Member
Oct 6, 2013
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
c.class
Exp
since 1994
Ah thanks maison I'm going that way early September so i will give it a try

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes this aire is well worth a visit and is often quite busy . I hot sunny weather it does not have any real shade . Great for cycling on the Voie Verte though .
Correct, but there is an area of grass nearby with trees for shade and picnic tables provided. This is within 20 metres of the Aire, on the other side of the Voie Verte, keeping your M/H in full view.

Enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back