Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I HATE the M6. Not so much North of Preston, but from junction 32 down to the M5 at say junction 3.........
And so, I thinks 'if I travel at night, or at least in the very late evening........'But then, what then? Get to around Worcester, and its gone midnight.....
So, thought to ask the question. Is just pulling up in a layby accepted, illegal, safe? Or, do you lot know of somewhere where you can just pull over for the night in the local?
Or am I being a 'Softy Walter', and should I just live with the M6 junction 19 crawl, and a further crawl from junction 12 to junction 8??

Walter. :):)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
You'll almost certainly get gassed if you park in a layby & thieves will steal the expensive jewelry you will be carrying :Eeek:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You'll almost certainly get gassed if you park in a layby & thieves will steal the expensive jewelry you will be carrying :Eeek:
Great. I will make sure the wife is wearing her diamond tiara, stuck on with superglue. They will have to take her as well. And no, my policy is never to pay a ransom.....:)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I plan to hit Hilton Park services at 11 am when travelling south. Rarely do I change down a gear, as the drones have all got there noses to the grindstone by then.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
cant you pull on to a services for the night ? must be one around there somewhere , or find a pub car park have a beer in the pub and stay the night on their car park...:)

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We stayed at one of the M5 services overnight some years ago, Dave, but the noise at 5am as all the trucks fired up......And, don't they charge you a mint for stopping over 2 hours these days??

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That's why I'm enquiring:) about possible locations.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have the same problem, the M6 south of Lancaster is a nightmare. We tend to set off late or very very early in an attempt to avoid the Birmingham snail pace. Our solution is just to grab a couple of hour kip at the motorway services, as I can survive on a couple of hours and then move on to the next services for another couple of hours. Won't pay the ridiculous fee for stopping more than 2 hours. Stafford is an ideal stop off.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
www.motorhomestopover.co.uk/pages/pubs.php?country=England Broken Link Removed
The Golden Lion Inn & Lakeside Restaurant. Cornwall. ... The Anglers Retreat & White Lion Pubs. Hertfordshire. The Rising Sun. ... Worcestershire.
this site might help......

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Layby's are ok as long as you feel it is safe enough yourself, and there are no overnight parking restriction signs.
Frankley services are just after junction 3 but if you want to go further Strensham services are just before junction 8. Stayed there loads of times.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Junction 31A is the one we use for going south never found it to bad for traffic usually set of at 10 ish

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This seems like a task awaiting investigation! If others feel the same way, then just maybe I can explore the possibilities of finding an overnight stop somewhere near Malvern (or within a couple of miles of the M6), that can be accessed at night, has the permission of the owner, and is safe! Even willing to maybe negotiate a small fee if the place is sound, and somewhere *Funsters* can use without prior appointment??????? What thinks you???

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For general guidance on staying overnight in lay-bys/by the road side see Here. For MSAs see Here.

As far as general usage of the M6/M5 is concerned I tend to agree with Snowbird. We've not had a particular problem with daytime travel after the rush hour. Indeed we travelled from J3 on the M5 up the M6 to the M55 on the Monday afternoon a couple of weeks ago with no problems (even with the road works).

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For general guidance on staying overnight in lay-bys/by the road side see Here. For MSAs see Here.

As far as general usage of the M6/M5 is concerned I tend to agree with Snowbird. We've not had a particular problem with daytime travel after the rush hour. Indeed we travelled from J3 on the M5 up the M6 to the M55 on the Monday afternoon a couple of weeks ago with no problems (even with the road works).
Northbound dosent really seem to a problem Graham, its Southbound where the hold-ups are. Junction 19 South is the feed from Manchester, everyday stoppages up to junction 17/16. Junction 12 up to the M5 at junction 8 is a crawl....OK, you can use the toll road, as you will be aware, but that whole M56 to the M5 is just such a grind.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Northbound dosent really seem to a problem Graham, its Southbound where the hold-ups are. Junction 19 South is the feed from Manchester, everyday stoppages up to junction 17/16. Junction 12 up to the M5 at junction 8 is a crawl....OK, you can use the toll road, as you will be aware, but that whole M56 to the M5 is just such a grind.
We've used J19 (and further south) a fair bit, Dave, either if we've been travelling on after visiting my Mum in Glossop or going from home via M62/M60/M56 and have never experienced what I would call a real grind - must be a difference in perception :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Britstops 062 is about 3m from M5, between Gloucester and Bristol. Very nice pub, good food, good drink, friendly locals: the turn into the rear carpark is easier S bound than N bound, as the gap between the walls is a little tight and it is worth getting "square on", especially in the dark (we didn't, but no harm done!). HTH - Gordon

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Britstops 062 is about 3m from M5, between Gloucester and Bristol. Very nice pub, good food, good drink, friendly locals: the turn into the rear carpark is easier S bound than N bound, as the gap between the walls is a little tight and it is worth getting "square on", especially in the dark (we didn't, but no harm done!). HTH - Gordon
Can you arrive late there???

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can't see any reason why you couldn't sleep in your vehicle in a layby, after all the lorries do it routinely. I'm sure 'camping' would not be allowed but I think that would require there being something more than the vehicle eg awning, tables, chairs.
I have spent the night in a layby on occasion, but not my first choice as it can be noisy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back