5th Gear (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Dreaded 5th gear went, Fiat Ducato, limped back from Rouen . went to Fiat dealer for quote for 5th gear only as synchro hub has been reversed and appears ok, gear kit £274.26 Oil 2.7 litres £30.60 . Have had similar quotes from Peugeot and citroen parts department but been put off as ratio`s of gearing seem different. Fiat Hymer 1995 model. Aware that forum has had previous posts re this issue but where do i go on the new site.
Any pointers for better deal re 5th gear or is it best to stick with main dealer OE

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just go into search on the top by your avatar type in Fifth Gear press search, just tried and up they all came.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Carol Many thanks it worked and read threads relating to the problem, I still need to find out if the 5th gear can be obtained elsewhere other than Fiat main dealer though;).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One thing I don't know if you were aware of and I know it's no help now, but it is best if 5th gear is not selected for the first few miles until the oil warms up to get into the 5th gear which is separate from the other gears on these earlier models. This helps so when you get it fixed this could be of benefit .

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Many thanks for the update, will be aware of this when i get back on the road.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Ive seen em on ebay
& having looked into this myself I wait till the engine is @ normall temp before I go for 5th now.

Still gotta check the oil thou

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Many thanks for all help, problem i`m having is the number of teeth on gearing , i have 58/35 T which are not sold on the e-bay sight.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Tell us the gory details then.
Who fixed it, where did you get the parts and, most importantly for us nosey sods, how much ? :winky:

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Okay done it myself, jacked n/s of van up, removed wheel for easy access but no need, and can be done on side of road.
Drain oil 2.7 litres, remove 5th gear cover on end of g/box exposing x2 cogs, one nut C type can be undone with sharp blow from blunt chisel. replaced 5th gear, kit costing £274 as several teeth were missing, swarth attached to magnet which i placed outside of cover when gear went, selectors were okay however i turned selector gear around as no 6th gear ,so teeth not worn on other edge side.
replaced oil £30.60 this has to done through reverse light switch found on top of G/box. Old Oil was clear and gold colour but did not want to chance returning to box. gear cover gasket is rubber and can be re used.

Be careful when removing selector gear as x3 springs and ball bearings likely to pop out, do check mechanism is moving properly though slight resistance felt as bearings seat. the whole cluster 5th gear and selector mechanism can be slid of the shaft as one piece, remember to remove selector fork nut though..
estimate that job could be undertaken in a couple of hours now i know what to do, awaited for Fiat parts 2 days
looked on e-bay for comparison ,however teeth numbers are different so this would alter the gearing ratio, and i did not want to chance it.
The citroen and peugeot gearbox do sometimes differ in gearing and locking nuts sizes used on gear shafts, If you replace the selector mechanism this is another £330 odd.
But be careful if you have difficulty with engaging other gears as this may require G/box overhaul.
to date only covered approx 50 miles but all working and no unusual noises. hope this is useful.(y)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Thank you from all the nosey sods (y)
As it is a seemingly straight forward repair, does this suggest Fiat were anticipating trouble ?

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
yay.....................

now lets pray

Dear God
Please do not let me have a 5th gear failure
Amen

:notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thank you from all the nosey sods (y)
As it is a seemingly straight forward repair, does this suggest Fiat were anticipating trouble ?
5th gear was never meant to be according the original spec. It was added after production of the series 1 Ducato started, hence the bung on the top set up.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
5th gear was never meant to be according the original spec. It was added after production of the series 1 Ducato started, hence the bung on the top set up.
and because it was added on to an existing gearbox layout, that is the route cause of why they fail....insufficient lubrication

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
:cheers: I have read articles re lack of lubricant, and someone had drilled additional hole in G/box casing to allow more flow but this would also cause stress factors. There are theories around re lack of oil splash however i drained the recommended amount and believe this to be original in 1995 van. cause more likely to be NOT changing down on the long hill drag earlier enough ( this could be causing strain on the gear). Anyway it has been recorded that this particular fault is well known for this box. Also fitted to peugeot and citroen vehicles, however as i reported there are differences in the number of teeth on the gearing and i opted for like for like.

For anyone around Kent area , i'm willing to give a hand if you have similar problem and tempted to have a go.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Okay 3000 miles done and 5th gear not working, took gear off again and it appears that the synchro ring teeth are spinning around, these are heated and shrunk on to main gear. Fiat will replace under warranty however cannot locate one in UK . One coming from Italy VOR order but expected to be 1 week.:swear:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I read somewhere that once the fault became apparent they found that increasing the "max oil level" by 20mm up the dipstick aided lubrication enormously.
sorry to hear you have a faulty part & have to change it again.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I read somewhere that once the fault became apparent they found that increasing the "max oil level" by 20mm up the dipstick aided lubrication enormously.
Yes, I wrote something on that ages ago. Still got the info somewhere. Measure 20mm down the stick from the plug, and saw a line on the stick. Top up to that, about an extra 3/4 litre. Works fine with me, no leaks, and the box is running much quieter.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I read that somewhere to...BUSBY.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Yes, I wrote something on that ages ago. Still got the info somewhere. Measure 20mm down the stick from the plug, and saw a line on the stick. Top up to that, about an extra 3/4 litre. Works fine with me, no leaks, and the box is running much quieter.

Yes seen info on past posts however box has no dipstick,(except the driver) have to refill through reverse light switch. will add a little extra oil as recommended thanks.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Does 5th gear go on 6 gear models or am I just being dumb?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Reading various threads it sounds like it can be an expensive repair if done properly.. ie box off and cleaned out of any bits of metal / swarf from the broken gear.. (see pasted quote)

I am looking to buy a second hand Hymer 544.. probably a 2000 - 2006 model and am concerned I buy one that has the 5th gear on it's last legs..

Which model years is this a potential problem.. ?
is it all Fiats pre x250 ?

How do I know if it has been changed.. and if it has that it has been done properly..

I'm starting to have second thoughts about Fiat based van. I can do without this added worry and future expense..

I refer to this thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...s-failing-5th-gear-problem.64498/#post-759411

with this post from Geo

Strange but true I was contacted this week by a guy with a similar problem
he was most disapointed when i told him a 5th gear repair was more involved that a 5th gear upgrade and i suspect from his tone he did not want to know as others had already told him its just an end plate of and bobs yer uncle
Is it only me that cares where the shrapnel and swarf has ended up:RollEyes:

Yes I could have quoted him for just a 5th gear replacement and took his dosh, after all he'd probably be back in Spain when the rest of the gears went tits up due to crap in the box
We do care in the trade so let us do a proper job when it warranted.
After all its you who will be fast back on here saying what a s**ty job was done:Cool:

Fifth gear upgrade is an improvment to an already good box:thumb:
Jumping out of gears and gear failures can be due to many things that warrant investigation
Or your just winging it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I just read somewhere that the 5th gear problem does not affect vans from 2003 .. can anyone confirm..

other sites say it affects vans up to 2006 ..

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I sold a 1998 symphony with 160 k on the clock last year..Had all service history,,it had a new clutch fitted at 110 k but no mention of any gear box problems,,,Busby...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back