Another gassed in France but with a new twist (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Broken Link Removed

Interesting this one....not your normal gassing story ....This time it appears a car was used to pump exhaust fumes in to the van....
New one on me but far more feasible than the normal out of work highly educated anaesthetiSt.....

Still all anti-dotal evidence mind. ..like "we belive " and "we think "

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A worrying story ... first I've seen with police and hospital reports..

Still all anti-dotal evidence mind. ..like "we belive " and "we think "

it's not anecdotal if they have a hospital report
: “We were all seen individually by doctors and nurses and put into rooms where we were given oxygen and our blood samples were taken. We were in there nearly all of the day.

“The person taking the blood said it could have killed us. It was horrendous. They said it could also lead to memory loss, flashbacks.”

Mrs Chadwick said the family had been given a report from the hospital saying that they had been affected by carbon monoxide.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I suppose that's more feasible than some out of work anaesthetist. But as stated, highly dangerous. Am sure its a fine line between knockout and death. Would they not smell car exhaust fumes before dozing off. They would if it was any of my chip fat burners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My phone won't let me open it due to too many redirections on the pages.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
What I mean Jim is I would like to see the hospital reports....There's a lot of it could of....plus we all have potentially carbon monoxide in our blood from general living in a city...It may be higher if parked in a busy service area
But your right...This is not a normal gasing story..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What surprises me is that no-one mentions the infernal stench that would still be there and that would be immediately obvious in the morning. Car exhausts pump out fairly evil-smelling gases, as well as CO, that would permeate and cling to everything in the motorhome.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
E
Quite agree Brian...
For the cost of a few quid when your driving a 40k camper its a no brainer
Even driving a 15k camper it's a no brainer but an ex soviet military gas mask from eBay for £10 does the job equally well .....and as long as you don't sleep on your front its quite comfortable ...you can even suck your tea up through the long straw attachment

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
There's more reports out there of this happening to lorry drivers than there is campers by the way .....its worth looking at

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Easily prevented if it happened ....... FIT A CO DETECTOR!

I can't believe anyone would not have one fitted seeing the sad events over the last few years.

I don't have one. When I start heating the van with the cooker or bringing my still-smouldering barbecue inside I might consider it. Until then I'll manage without.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
E

Even driving a 15k camper it's a no brainer but an ex soviet military gas mask from eBay for £10 does the job equally well .....and as long as you don't sleep on your front its quite comfortable ...you can even suck your tea up through the long straw attachment

I didn't see that on the options list when I bought my MH. :mask:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There's more reports out there of this happening to lorry drivers than there is campers by the way .....its worth looking at
Sorry Tambo but the general consensus on this forum is that these gassing reports are b*ll*cos - never any evidence apart from groggy drivers and missing money - no residual drugs in the system, no thieves caught etc.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If this is true there will soon be some deaths especially those silly folk who don't have CO detectors. Never believed the anaesthetic gases business as anaesthetist colleagues just laughed when I asked if it was possible.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sorry Tambo but the general consensus on this forum is that these gassing reports are b*ll*cos - never any evidence apart from groggy drivers and missing money - no residual drugs in the system, no thieves caught etc.

Yes but this is different and far more lethal...potentially of course. ...still at least it might free up some space in the Aires

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Does noise not also travel along a hose with the exhaust. Are different size people not effected differently to gas intake. Bit like the male female alcohol effect. Sorry don't believe a word of it unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved. o_O

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
So the robbers must still have broken a lock to get in? Or presumably if they entered via an open window they replaced the fly screen afterwards?

There's never any photos of damaged locks, broken windows or doors.

Presumably they have hospital paperwork supporting carbon monoxide poisoning but the reporter never thought to include a picture of that?

If it's true, it's worrying, but if would have thought there'd be more hard evidence.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Well there are a lot of stories out there off it happening to lorry drivers who wake up and the trailer has been emptied ......i was unaware of them before but I work for a large logistics company and was talking to a colleague about the claims of motorhome gassing ....and apparently it's been happening with truckers for years.
Who knows ....im not saying it does or it doesn't and being a sceptic with most things I like definately proof but i can see how it could happen

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Here we go again ! You would think that the smell alone would wake you up
and makes you wonder how it was introduced into the van . I think a carbon monoxide alarm is essential in motorhome as well as the house . Again this is another case of staying overnight in a service area which really is not advisable even if it means going out of your way to stay in campsite or aire . I hope one of these days some of the culprits are caught and we find out how they actually do it .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Or was it done by covering the top fridge vent?
Lots of vans are not sealed around the fridge as well as they should be.
The thieves must have an excellent knowledge of motorhome construction to know where all the drop vents are on every model in order to find them in the dark.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So the baddies roll up and see a campervan with all the windows open, maybe the door as well cause its hot, they think "stupid tourists" we will gas them yes? His mate says no we can just open the door, nick some gear and begone, no no says the first guy we will gas them, bring the car.:LOL:

Ian

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well there are a lot of stories out there off it happening to lorry drivers who wake up and the trailer has been emptied ......i was unaware of them before but I work for a large logistics company and was talking to a colleague about the claims of motorhome gassing ....and apparently it's been happening with truckers for years.
Who knows ....im not saying it does or it doesn't and being a sceptic with most things I like definately proof but i can see how it could happen

Yeah and that's all they are Stories funny how there's never any hard evidence, after all a lorry driver wouldn't make it up when he's lost his trailer would he eh!!!. Always the rumour of Eastern Europeans seen hanging around as well, poor buggers get the blame for everything. if all theses Eastern Europeans are so clever how come they have to resort to these tactics to live they should all be working for NASA or the FBI or be highly paid anaesthetists.
As for CO detectors why the hell wouldn't you have one along with a fire alarm :eek: madness.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't have one. When I start heating the van with the cooker or bringing my still-smouldering barbecue inside I might consider it. Until then I'll manage without.

With respect, I don't think that is the very best approach to the health and safety of yourself or your family, but as previously said, entirely your prerogative. There could be an undetected fault in the heater or in the fridge, for instance with neither of them venting properly to the outside. carbon monoxide itself (without car exhaust fumes) is odourless, colourless and almost the same density as air (0.97) and is a killer. CO and smoke detectors are not expensive and last a very long time on a battery

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
How long would it take a car engine on idle to pump enough CO2 into a van to render the large number of occupants incapable? How deep a sleep would you need to be in not to hear that car idling just outside your van? Which access point did the 'robbers' push the hosepipe? 'The person who took my blood said'......... Another fluent English speaker in the French NHS, as the crew of that van clearly aren't fluent in French. HO Ho I wonder what the loss adjuster will make of that particular story and the report from the Police.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back