Bed Rams fixed but damaged the table (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Good News
Changed the two hydraulic rams on my overcab bed, its now perfect, bit of a fiddly job but not that difficult to do.

Bad News
Whilst changing the rams dropped the hammer and now have a hole the size of a 50p in the table top :swear2::swear2:. Gonna cover it in a piece of gaffa tape and hope Jan doesn't see it or I'll have a hole the same size in my forehead. :Eeek:

Does anyone know of a way to repair these as we already had a couple of small dents which were hardly worth the bother but now it'll need doing.
Thanks (y)(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have just filled a much smaller hole in mine (dropped a book corner-down from the overhead locker).
I used ColorFill which is available in many shades (but not in local DIY sheds - they only stock a very few). For a hole the size you describe, you would need to build it up carefully with several layers.

Here is the Colorfill website: http://www.colorfill.co.uk/index.php In the 'Buy' tab there is an option to 'find my colorfill' which starts a colour matching wizard. Once you have the right shade, take the reference number than you need a supplier.
This is the Ebay shop I used:Broken Link Removed

N.B. you need to get solvent too - that is not available separately in local stores so buy a bottle online. I'm not sure if the Ebay shop above sells it so I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400702923...49&var=670249177417&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also, of course, the repair will be a single colour, not mottled like the original Hymer top. I think the only way to overcome that problem is to cover the whole table with a new sheet of laminate, but that is unlikely to match the rest of the surfaces in the van.

Hope this helps.

Plumberman

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
West Midlands.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm Learning
Hi Forestboy,
Glad to hear you've repaired your bed but a tad unfortunate you dropped the hammer.
The only product I know of is colour seal , I think that's the name,and it is used to seal butt and scribe joints on kitchen work top joints to make them waterproof.
B&Q have it on the shelf in a wide range of colours.
Hope this helps, good luck with Jan when she finds out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Good News
Changed the two hydraulic rams on my overcab bed, its now perfect, bit of a fiddly job but not that difficult to do.

Bad News
Whilst changing the rams dropped the hammer and now have a hole the size of a 50p in the table top :swear2::swear2:. Gonna cover it in a piece of gaffa tape and hope Jan doesn't see it or I'll have a hole the same size in my forehead. :Eeek:

Does anyone know of a way to repair these as we already had a couple of small dents which were hardly worth the bother but now it'll need doing.
Thanks (y)(y)

of all the things that could end your time on this earth....who'd have thought a 50p sized hole in a table would be the catalyst!!!

Id wish you a swift end to the inevitable pain, but alas, i very much doubt Jan will be merciful

you could cover it with a nice table cloth...thatll impress her:clap2:...but dont say your discovering your feminine side as i suspect the end result will be the same as just owning up...

Plumberman

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
West Midlands.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm Learning
Hi Hilldweller,the avatar is screen shot from the film RV with Robin Williams,and is the bit where he leaves his handbrake off and rolls into a lake.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
of all the things that could end your time on this earth....who'd have thought a 50p sized hole in a table would be the catalyst!!!

Id wish you a swift end to the inevitable pain, but alas, i very much doubt Jan will be merciful

you could cover it with a nice table cloth...thatll impress her:clap2:...but dont say your discovering your feminine side as i suspect the end result will be the same as just owning up...

Knew I could rely on you for good advise, but don't worry matey I'll pay you back Sunday if I can still walk.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have just filled a much smaller hole in mine (dropped a book corner-down from the overhead locker).
I used ColorFill which is available in many shades (but not in local DIY sheds - they only stock a very few). For a hole the size you describe, you would need to build it up carefully with several layers.

Here is the Colorfill website: http://www.colorfill.co.uk/index.php In the 'Buy' tab there is an option to 'find my colorfill' which starts a colour matching wizard. Once you have the right shade, take the reference number than you need a supplier.
This is the Ebay shop I used:Broken Link Removed

N.B. you need to get solvent too - that is not available separately in local stores so buy a bottle online. I'm not sure if the Ebay shop above sells it so I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400702923078?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=670249177417&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also, of course, the repair will be a single colour, not mottled like the original Hymer top. I think the only way to overcome that problem is to cover the whole table with a new sheet of laminate, but that is unlikely to match the rest of the surfaces in the van.

Hope this helps.

Thats brilliant thanks (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back