Can anyone recommend a cheap 7" GPS off Fleabay with co-ordinate input? (1 Viewer)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hi,

Just bought a great 7" GPS for a truck, it is great but does not have full postcode search or more importantly co-ordinate input. I was hoping to use it for my next trip to Germany.

I need co-ordinate input for stelplatz finding!

Can anyone recommend one?

Mine only cost £36 so will keep it for my car! But I need one for the van!!

regards

Steve

Goronwy

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Varies
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2008
So if it doesn't do postcode search and co-ordinate input,what does it do?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Which one have you bought a lot of people on here use cheap chinese sat navs and they can be used as you want it just takes some getting used to!! (eg. for postcode search put it in the town box)

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If the software it is running is IGO Primo then it does both Postcode and coordinate input Postcode as David says and coordinate via the "more" tab at the bottom of the find menu. I think that is correct from meory

John

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Postcodes are useful in the UK and I believe also in the Netherlands. In a lot of countries, France for example, a postcode covers a large area so not much good for navigating. The cheap Chinese one does take postcodes and coordinates and many of us have them.
I wouldn't like to use one as a sole satnav though as several people have had them 'crash' on them for no apparent reason. This happened to me and I got it going again eventually, but it would have been a problem at the time if I didn't have two other satnavs going as well (TomTom and Snooper)

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Thank you all for your help. Yes postcodes can be input via the TOWN but I stil cant find a way to input coordinates, any further suggestions?

Thanks again!

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would get a cheap 7 inch tablet with gps, work just as good as cheap satnavs and you can put coordinates or post code or whatever you want and even get a google earth photo of where you are going, had all sorts of satnavs but never anything as good as a nexus 7, and that's ignore ing all the other stuff it can do

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
As Lunarman says, mine shows first page with Find, favourites, and a couple of other things.
Click on find then at the bottom click on more you can then access coordinates.
Mine has been very accurate when used.

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hi,

No luck, my MORE options gives me QWERTY and a list of languages etc for keypad input, but nothing to accept coordinates.

I will use it in the UK and go back to my old GARMIN for the trip to Germany!

Thanks everyone anyway.

I looked into the option of using my Galaxy 3 Tab, but the maps cost more than a GPS! CoPilot for the continent is about £50.

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi,

No luck, my MORE options gives me QWERTY and a list of languages etc for keypad input, but nothing to accept coordinates.

I will use it in the UK and go back to my old GARMIN for the trip to Germany!

Thanks everyone anyway.

I looked into the option of using my Galaxy 3 Tab, but the maps cost more than a GPS! CoPilot for the continent is about £50.

Steve
You don't need copilot, google maps or navfree is quite adequate both accept coordinates and both free and will get you anywhere, we've always got back with em anyway(y)

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
If I buy a cheap satnav then I would need to know the age of the maps on board and if the maps are updatable.

Even sat navs with updatable maps have maps that are as bit out of date and I find this very irritating so using a cheap sat nave with very old maps would be worse than useless.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
If you have an I-Pad download TomTom from the internet for about £60. Then you can stick the I-Pad up in the dash and look at a good sized screen !!!

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I would get a cheap 7 inch tablet with gps, work just as good as cheap satnavs and you can put coordinates or post code or whatever you want and even get a google earth photo of where you are going, had all sorts of satnavs but never anything as good as a nexus 7, and that's ignore ing all the other stuff it can do

This is a good suggestion. I picked up a brand new 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab for just £130. I know it was last years model, but it really doesn't matter as it is the latest Android OS.

There's heaps of SatNav apps to choose from and some of them store everything on the tablet so you don't need to use up data as you do on some phone satnavs.

My TomTom and Kenwood/Garmin are gathering dust now as the tablet satnavs are much easier to keep up-to-date and I've found them to be a LOT more accurate as far as root planning is concerned.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I use an a a map book costs £1.99 and a free app called waze on my mobile phone

Don't know about in Germany but in france there were signs everywhere for aires never used the book or satnav to find one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back