Free Member
Jan 2, 2014
oban
Funster No
MH
bessacarr
Exp
I have a bessacarr e456 2.3 diesel 55 plate
drives starts all fine but when it comes to junctions or roundabouts traffic lights etc and I go to pull away I get a blast of blue smoke , The van was remapped when I got it and I have spoke to them and they said that's not the cause as it would of done this from new , sometimes I don't get any smoke I have tried different types of fuel additives and stopped buying my diesel from supermarkets any ideas
Alan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Blue smoke indicates oil is being burned.. what is the millage.. and has it been serviced recently ?

From Diesel Smoke tells a story
  • Worn valve guides or seals
  • Wear in power assemblies (ie cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
  • Cylinder glaze
  • Piston ring sticking
  • Incorrect grade of oil (eg oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
  • Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)

OP
OP
alan1958

alan1958

Free Member
Jan 2, 2014
oban
Funster No
MH
bessacarr
Exp
Hi thanks for your reply . The millage is 30,000 it had a full service in nov last year just before I bought the van , there is no smoke on startup its just I set away from junctions roundabouts but not all the time ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
30,000 miles is nothing. How many miles have you done ? and when was the last time it had a good long run? . Maybe that's all it needs. I too have a 2.3 and it drives exceptionally well and I make sure I do a minimum of 30 miles a month. Now got 22,ooo after 3 years and engine is great.

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
hi .
had the same with our 2003 fiat when idling after a run , for example in traffic jam pull away clouds of smoke but no oil burnt.turned out to be end float in turbo bearings.so new turbo at 24000 miles AND always left running after a run to let the bearings to cool down

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi thanks for your reply . The millage is 30,000 it had a full service in nov last year just before I bought the van , there is no smoke on startup its just I set away from junctions roundabouts but not all the time ?

definitely underused., that's less than 4k a year , does more harm than good.. diesels need to be worked hard, and often .. as Philip says... take it for a long hard run .. but do check the oil level regularly..

if that doesn't do the trick a visit to the diesel doctor may be needed.. it shouldn't be burning oil at that millage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
alan1958

alan1958

Free Member
Jan 2, 2014
oban
Funster No
MH
bessacarr
Exp
Thanks for all your comments guys re miles I am just back from 4 weeks in France 3000 miles fuelled up in Belgium with premier diesel and no smoke. drove home filled up with bp and the dam thing was smoking after a 40 mile run. I use the motorhome every fortnight min 200 miles, I will get the turbo checked out
cheers Alan

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

Check the oil level to see if it's been overfilled

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back