Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Hi all,been given a 150watt power inverter what do i do with it,no rude remarks.
Can i use it in my camper for a laptop computer if yes how.:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Russ,

I'm not sure 150 watts will be enough.The laptops I have here range from 1.3 to 1.7 amps @ 100-240volts ac in = approx 312-408 watts.

Please can someone verify this.

You're transforming 12volts up to 240 and then back down to the voltage of your laptop.Not the most efficient way.

You'll need to connect the 12v to the vans 12v supply somehow.You don't say whether it just has crocodile clips on the 12v supply side.

I'd hard wire a 12volt "cigarette lighter " style connector on instead (observing the correct polarity) unless you're fortunate to have the proper 12v sockets in your motorhome.

The "feed" side needs to have a 240volt socket on it (unless it's integrated into the inverter already).

Any picture would be appreciated.:thumb:

Is it like this one?

This'll be ready to go.

Link Removed Manufacturer:
Silverline
Other productsLink RemovedPRICE excl VAT:£ 17.35 PRICE incl VAT:£ 20.39 Catalogue No:427573Mnf part No:219336EAN:5055058179364Recommend Product:Link RemovedCurrent Reviews: 0Link RemovedQUANTITY TO BUY: Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedDESCRIPTIONInverter suitable for on appliances up to 150 Watt. For cars, caravans, boats, lorries. Overload and short circuit protection. Supplied with cigarette lighter plug DC input. 3 year Warranty Nr: 427573
Converts 12v DC batteries to 230v AC suitable for use on appliances up to 150 Watt. For use in most cars caravans boats & lorries. Overload and short circuit protection. Includes cigarette lighter plug on lead, length 570mm. Size 165mm x 105 x 55mm. Weight 0.7Kgs
Low Battery Alarm: An audiable signal will sound when input voltage drops to 10.5v. The Inverter automatically shuts down when input voltage drops to 10vDC.
Over Voltage Alarm: Inverter automatically shuts down if input voltage exceeds 15vDC
Overload Protection: The unit is equiped with a heat sensor which automatically shuts down the inverter if the temperature exceeds 65 degrees C.

DC input: DC input via cigarette lighter plugAC Output: 13 Amp 3 Pin socket, 230vAC 50HzPeak Power output: Not availableCE Marked, TUV approved3 year warranty

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
is it a 12volt inverter to 220/40 volt? could be alsorts. if its 12 join the positive tobattery pos neg to battery neg , then plug in your 220/40 appliance . you can only use upto 150 watt items , if the inverter starts making load noises battery usually below correct voltage. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Hi AD,looks just like your picture with a cigarette lighter adapter on it.
Can i run it off my leisure batteries with my battery charger on,instead of my van battery .

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi AD,looks just like your picture with a cigarette lighter adapter on it.
Can i run it off my leisure batteries with my battery charger on,instead of my van battery .

You could do but why would you want to?

If you've got power to your battery charger, can't you run the laptop direct from the mains?(Assuming you're on Electric Hookup)

If camping without Electric hookup then it would be ok but only up to 150 watts. Is this the PEAK Maximum rating of the inverter?

This unit has overload protection as I would expect all to have.I am guessing here that the unit will not power your laptop.What laptop is it?What is the 240 volt current rating on the power supply and the output voltage please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
AD,i have not got a laptop i was only thinking about it.
Yes i am on hook-ups when we go out.
I did say i was given it and was curious as to what it could be used for.
As i'm not technically minded i will give it back as i cant find a use for it.:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
AD,i have not got a laptop i was only thinking about it.
Yes i am on hook-ups when we go out.
I did say i was given it and was curious as to what it could be used for.
As i'm not technically minded i will give it back as i cant find a use for it.:Smile:

Hmmm,
You could be quite restricted for usage due to power output.:Sad:

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Cheers for the interest taken as to selling it on E-Bay ill give it back and suggest he sells it.thanks again.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim
if I remember right yours is a Victron is it not, about 3000watts:Eeek: if memory serves me right
Geo

well, not quite ... 1600 to be precise , just about enough to run the bread maker and coffee pot.. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back