Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know which port to come back from when we come back from Portugal in April. Which is best please?
Price is same but timings better
will it still be cold in Northern Spain in April?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
More shops at Santander. Bilbao us just a port with nothing to do.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
early april can be chilly but normally ok . we use santander ideally outwards and return . but it seems might have to be portsmouth out as plymouth seems to stop 14oct.
santander is a far easier place than bibao. better to avoid that traffic area .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
It will be Bilbao for us this year. It is about 60 miles nearer to our destination and we can also overnight on the quayside.

Brisey.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Brisey, as a seasoned traveller, do you know if it is cheaper to book direct with Brittany Ferries or CC club.
As this will be our first winter abroad, I am getting over excited and desperate to book.
Thanks
David.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I booked through cc&c club after looking at the prices it was the same. The only thing is I can pay the whole thing by tesco cc card therefore getting me tesco points as apposed to paying through BF they charge £5 to use a credit card.
ps . They will give me 7% off my return fare as I have used them for my trip there.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Brisey, as a seasoned traveller, do you know if it is cheaper to book direct with Brittany Ferries or CC club.
As this will be our first winter abroad, I am getting over excited and desperate to book.
Thanks
David.

Struggling to book at the moment on-line booking down at C/C which is usually cheaper

Sue

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Quoted £5 more last time by C&CC, it covered the credit card charge from BF. Keep us posted, discussed with carefree who were adamant that they charged the same as BF. Paid with debit card in the end to BF.:(

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks
David.

I have only used Brittany Ferries to Spain twice. On both occasions I booked direct with Brittany Ferries. There are a few friendly Funsters who may be prepared to supply you with a discount code if you ask nicely.

On the one occasion I booked a crossing from Portsmouth to Caen through the C&CC. I had to come home a few days early and phoned C&CC to amend the booking. They wanted an extra £140 which was more than I had originally paid. Not surprisingly I turned their offer down. I drove to the port and changed the booking directly with Brittany Ferries, cost was €40.
Brisey.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I usually prefer Santander but last time I drove into Santander it was a public holiday and it was chaotic.

Avoid on a public holiday.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks brisey I'll take note of that if I have to change booking

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I have only used Brittany Ferries to Spain twice. On both occasions I booked direct with Brittany Ferries. There are a few friendly Funsters who may be prepared to supply you with a discount code if you ask nicely.

On the one occasion I booked a crossing from Portsmouth to Caen through the C&CC. I had to come home a few days early and phoned C&CC to amend the booking. They wanted an extra £140 which was more than I had originally paid. Not surprisingly I turned their offer down. I drove to the port and changed the booking directly with Brittany Ferries, cost was €40.
Brisey.

Just spoke to caravan club after holding for 10 mins:sleep: they eventually informed me that they don't have prices from Brittany till later today.....:rolleyes:

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Just tried to book using guest code. Was told to phone, phoned and was told that code had been used more than 15 times and was no longer valid.
Please, has anyone got a new/newish code.
David

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just tried to book using guest code. Was told to phone, phoned and was told that code had been used more than 15 times and was no longer valid.
David
That's interesting. First time I've heard of that but it was always on the cards I suppose and is the reason I wouldn't give out my club number to anyone but family. Call me miserable if you like but once you have given out your number you don't know who it might be passed on to.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks to Geejay, now sorted.
Many thanks for all replies.

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Came back from Bilbao with Brittany Ferries early this year. There is a very good restaurant at Puerto Zierbena, about a mile from the port.
Mainly fish. Gambas with garlic to die for!!

Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
Heading down to Spain again this winter via Bilbao same as last year. The benefit of traveling via Bilbao is that the ferry arrives early morning (every other sailing) enabling you to get some distance without stopping for the night. We can make it to southern Spain by early evening on one hop.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does anyone know how many pet friendly cabins the ferries on either of the Portsmouth routes have and how quickly they sell out? I've looked at a few random dates and those cabins come up as sold out on all of them.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
David
There was a change in their terms I think this year. In the past it didn't matter how many times the code was used but the member would only get their bonus fee a max of 15 Times.
Now the code can only be used a max of 15 times.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Re which is best: we've done both ports a few times and for us it's Bilbao every time. Easy in, easy out,straight off the motorway. There is a motorway service station just before the ferry exit (if coming from the West) which has LPG so you can top up with diesel and LPG at Spanish prices before boarding. You can overnight on the dock either before boarding or after disembarking if it's late. Just a few miles away is a huge out of town retail,park with Lidl, Aldi, Mercadona and Carrefour. Ideal for topping up on cheap plonk and beer on your way home. There is a free parking spot on a hill overlooking the city (used to be a chargeable aire but now free) with a bus stop outside to take you into the city for sightseeing (the Guggenheim museum is a must see).
Santander you have to drive through city traffic which can be deadly depending on the time of day and you can't overnight at the port. Not very easy to park anywhere in a Motorhome if you want to see the city. Ended up driving round city streets to find supermarkets to stock up (although admittedly there might be more accessible ones somewhere).

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Does anyone know how many pet friendly cabins the ferries on either of the Portsmouth routes have and how quickly they sell out? I've looked at a few random dates and those cabins come up as sold out on all of them.

If you look on the BF website and check the info on the ferries you'll find the number of pet-friendly cabins listed. Only on Cap Finistere (17) and Etretat (13) on the Spain route.

I think they sell out pretty quickly but it's always worth checking from time to time as there may be cancellations. Last Dec while on the Pont Aven en route I checked our return date and found Cap Finistere still had a pet-friendly cabin available so I phoned up and managed to change our booking.

PM me if you want a discount code.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back