Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi again

I recently read a thread on the other side about this item: Link Removed
It is an adaptor so people can fill ther own gas bottles i.e. calor etc.
Personally, they horrify me. You simply attach the adaptor connect the LPG gas filler at the pumps, open the valve and fill to 80%, close the valve on your bottle, disconnect the filler. For me there is too many things which could go wrong with catastofic results.
I have read many threads on this subject most condemning them thankfully. However some compare LPG to Petrol - safety wise and can see no reason for not using these refill adapters. However, I have never seen mentioned, that petrol fumes are lighter than air so disapate, LPG on the other hand is heavier than air so sinks to the lowest point.
Consider this - a small LPG leak say 5 litres, it flows along the forecourt and into the street where the gas finds a drain, someone walks past can't smell gas and throws a cig down the grid ( smoking can seriously damage your health and anyone within 200 yards).
We spend a lot of money on our motorhomes, don't put them at risk, do the right thing and fit a proper system like Gaslow or buy a new bottle.

Graham

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
There are lots of posts on both side re Gaslow leaks. So we had better all go electric or just use comon sense.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Us RV users fill up at the petrol station with LPG others do the same with their systems. At the end of the day your little gas bottle on your one ring burner needs to be re filled somewhere, maybe you don't do it but someone does.. A while ago a called for some LPG on route somewhere to be met by the tanker filling the tank at the garage. He did just the same thing as me in reverse.Connected his tanker to the big bottle at garage opened a valve and the garage had gas. They fill tanks same as we do. Understand what your doing and it is safe. Yes leaks happen and we should all look out every time we fill up , but so do tanker drivers. It is a good system, be glad it works.

Lampie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blisters

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Lampie

I think youv'e miss read my thread, I agree with proper system which have blow back devices fitted such as ,Tankers, RV's and systems like Gaslow, I don't agree with this adaptor to enable non refilable bottles to be refilled

Graham

ps not sure what you mean by your little one burner hob, i assume you think bigger is better

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Lampie

I think youv'e miss read my thread, I agree with proper system which have blow back devices fitted such as ,Tankers, RV's and systems like Gaslow, I don't agree with this adaptor to enable non refilable bottles to be refilled

Graham

ps not sure what you mean by your little one burner hob, i assume you think bigger is better

The way I read it was I think Lampie was making a generalisation that everything from the tiniest of gas bottles (ie one used to fuel a single hob) to the largest of tanks are filled up in one way or another, it was not meant as a slur on one burner hobs!

I personally do not have a problem as long as extreme care is exercised when using these adaptors, I have to use an adaptor on my RV to convert the ACME fitting to UK bayonet when I fill the lpg tank.

Regards Pat

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Small bottle, large tank, connection and method of filling is the same. If you don't fill it then someone else will, exactly the same way, if you are happy to keep paying a premium for someone else to fill your bottles, fine. I adon't have a problem with that. I will continue to use my refill adapter I feel I am no less intellegent than a delivery driver or oick as the gas yard. I will continue to save pounds. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back