December Ferries to Spain from UK (1 Viewer)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thought we might spend December and January in Spain using a Ferry to Bilbo or Santander. When I have researched this possibility all the ferry companies seem to stop their service beginning of October.
Am I looking in the wrong Place?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
next week monday or tuesday brittany ferries are possibly putting out their winter times .
i actually rang today to find out . as i was told it would be end of july by someone on a forum about a month ago . but we will have to wait and see.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Brittany Ferries winter schedules are usually issued late August early September.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i normally catch the last one out last winter it was 3rd november .
shame they cut the plymouth ferry early as it used to run right up till xmas years ago.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Perhaps no good to you, we are booked on the Portsmouth/ Bilboa on the 4th Jan, I believe thats the first, looks like you will have to go Dover in December. Pete

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Perhaps no good to you, we are booked on the Portsmouth/ Bilboa on the 4th Jan, I believe thats the first, looks like you will have to go Dover in December. Pete

Yes, I'm puzzled by that too? I thought bookings weren't available yet for this coming winter?

Mike

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If it's the same as in previous years then Brittany Ferries will be running the Crap Finistre from November to March.
Not my favourite ship as it's a bit smaller than the Pont Aven and not as good. Done the trip a few times and as you would expect in winter the Bay of Biscay can be rough and I don't do rough.
So it will be driving down through France again in November and it's also about £300 cheaper according to my calculations.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i normally pay about 600 quid only have seats return .
i cant drive through france twice for that .
plus plymouth is only half an hour away.
pont avon is best dont have to have cabins on her.
and only 24 hrs we are in spain . a
well almost.
i like france but find november can be rainy and windy . had a few bad trips down through .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If it's only the Crap Finistre running which I suspect it will be there is no option just to have the reclining seats as there are none. Last time we used it we paid over £900 and as I get around 36 mpg it is cheaper for me to belt through France including using toll roads.
Still waiting to see how it's been booked at this time.

Mike

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
What route(s) does the Pont Aven do in winter then?

When we went Plymouth to Santander in April it was blowing a Force 8 gale, but we were pretty comfortable on board. Guess it's a big ship and got good stabilisers.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i only get 15-16 mpg .
like i said plymouth is 30 miles away . dover is 350miles away .
i do use a friends code saves 10%

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pont aven usually spends a bit of time having refits in november .
two years ago they cancelled our plymouth sail moved us to portsmouth and gave us cabins free . but prefer pont aven . didnt like finisterre.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
How have you managed that as that sailing is not listed yet.

Mike
Hi Mike we reserved a place with a deposit not knowing the actual date or cost, we got confirmation today with date and cost and confirmation we are on 10.30 sailing on the Sunday night arriving Bilboa Tuesday around 7.30 in the morning. Pete

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mike we reserved a place with a deposit not knowing the actual date or cost, we got confirmation today with date and cost and confirmation we are on 10.30 sailing on the Sunday night arriving Bilboa Tuesday around 7.30 in the morning. Pete
You are on the trip that calls at Roscoff then to change crews, long time to be on the Crap Finistere if thats the ship they are using.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes we did that two years ago . rather not . better to have straight run plymouth to santander . dont hardly feel the waves on the pont aven . rather go earlier if i had to.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Done the trip a few times and as you would expect in winter the Bay of Biscay can be rough and I don't do rough.

Mike

Done the return trip four times now and only one of the return legs was rough and then only for the first 12 hours. It was VERY rough though and we just laid flat on our bunks until it calmed down as it was somewhere between difficult and impossible to stand or move about without hanging on tightly to something.
It hasn't put us off though, as the odds are probably in our favour that we will have a decent crossing again this winter.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
You are on the trip that calls at Roscoff then to change crews, long time to be on the Crap Finistere if thats the ship they are using.

Mike
I agree with your comment I do prefer the 1 night crossing, but the Sunday one gets in early so plenty of time to motor on down Spain to our destination. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back