LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
BritStop day 1.

Drove the A roads through Amersham, Wendover Woods, Tring and up to the Dunstable Downs, where we stopped off and watched the gliders, para gliders and people flying kites. I grew up here and little has changed really, except the visitors centre, which I believe is now part of the Nation Trust. Lovely afternoon and highly recommended too. Refreshments are available onsite as is motorhome parking, but do check the tariffs as I missed the signs and got away with a free afternoons parking thank goodness. No height restrictions and plenty of room for larger RV's too.

65 lazy comfortable easy miles later we're parked up at BritStop 205 called the Fancott Pub. What a beautiful friendly place to stop off for the first night. Suns shining, Doom Bars on tap. Turns out to be excellent value for money. 4 pints of Doom bar and 2 large róse spritzers, 2 main meals and 2 deserts comes in at £50.50, not so bad including the drinks we thought. That's my BritStop membership paid for in the first night, winner!!! :)

The Fancott pub is really lovely, low beams, big garden, nice menu and extremely helpful staff, who really couldn't do enough for us, they're a credit to the place :) There's a big wood burning stove for when the winter sets in and a really nice atmosphere about the place too.

Nice big carpark with lots of room. We're parked up near the miniature railway line which proves very popular with the younger generation, but it's not restricted to the kids, so move move over or I'll nick ya lolly. Need to check railway timings or you'll get here and missed your train :)

http://www.thefancott.co.uk

Right off to the bar to sample ales :)

image.jpg image.jpg

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
most places from britstops would be free to stop at anyway you just need to know where they are bloody name the places so we can save on britstop membership

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Someone (Britstops) went to the trouble of asking/advertising for places for us to stop free.

It helps us and the pub/cafe/whatever.

I've not used Britstops but I will follow this thread to see whether I might want to use them and if it's worth the joining fee.

If we are not prepared pay something then sites like Britstops just wont exist.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
That's my list Bill and a more up to date one can be accessed below, and now has nearly 600 on it.

The difference is that I don't contact the pubs (take me ages) but watch forums and internet to find people telling of their experiences and recommendations at pubs then logging them on a Google map.

Britstops have contacted all the ones in their book and got an agreement that MH's can stop 1 night without any obligation to purchase. I have used many and it works, only once have I been badgered by the landlord who was in the Britstops book, to use his facilities then I didn't stay and reported it to Steve who runs Britstops.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
most places from britstops would be free to stop at anyway you just need to know where they are bloody name the places so we can save on britstop membership
no maybe not but the stops will still exist i have satyed at loads of place that cost nowt and didnt need a membership for them either
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?i...7522.00049af91baebfd18ebc7&t=h&z=6&dg=feature
that list cost nowt as well if in doubt ask the place phone or walk in and ask

If someone has invested time and money in collecting details about places to stay and charges users a small fee to access this list, I don't agree that it is right to share that list or parts of it on the Web.

Sites like BritStops makes motorhoming much easier for many and open up a wide range of places to stay - not all of them are obvious places to contact. It would be a shame if these weren't available.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
called the Fancott Pub. What a beautiful friendly place to stop off for the first night. Suns shining, Doom Bars on tap. Turns out to be excellent value for money. 4 pints of Doom bar and 2 large róse spritzers, 2 main meals and 2 deserts comes in at £50.50, not so bad including the drinks we thought. That's my BritStop membership paid for in the first night, winner!!! :)

Er, do you think you could half-inch that brolly for me...?? :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If someone has invested time and money in collecting details about places to stay and charges users a small fee to access this list, I don't agree that it is right to share that list or parts of it on the Web.

Sites like BritStops makes motorhoming much easier for many and open up a wide range of places to stay - not all of them are obvious places to contact. It would be a shame if these weren't available.
I am very torn on Britstops while agreeing that Steve has invested time and money in this , no one told him to and obviously he has done it to make a bob or two, but that doesn't stop someone else posting the same stuff for free on here, as long as they are putting their own findings on and not just quote ing from Stevens book, I was a member of Britstops last year and found it very good but could be very dear if you used the pub and found ,that has been said ,you could park there whether you were Britstops or not , we probably did ten last year but were only asked for Id at one, so afraid we have not joined this time but just wish someone could find a way of doing this without feeling obliged to go in the pub, I know it's not compulsory but it's a bit off if you don't, we ended up paying £50 for two at one place, nice meal and nice everything else but if we had been on a cl or something it would probably have been beans on toast and a tenner all in.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're not members of BritStops but understand that there is no commitment to buy anything at the stops. If you feel that you should buy something, why not have your beans and toast in your van and then wash it down with a pint or two in the pub? We rarely eat out but are much more inclined to do so if we can save paying pitch fees. Also, the BritStops locations may be more accessible or suitable than CL or CS sites on occasions.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We're not members of BritStops but understand that there is no commitment to buy anything at the stops. If you feel that you should buy something, why not have your beans and toast in your van and then wash it down with a pint or two in the pub? We rarely eat out but are much more inclined to do so if we can save paying pitch fees. Also, the BritStops locations may be more accessible or suitable than CL or CS sites on occasions.
Agree with you, as I say I am very torn on it, as we use aires all the time in France as they have everything we want (nothing(y)) but Britstops isn't the same, maybe some can just park and buy nothing but I couldn't do that, we are members of France passion which is on the same lines as Britstops but somehow you don't feel so obliged as you can park anywhere for nothing anyway in France.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Someone
has to pay for where we stop - I like the idea in this country of mixing sites, CLs and pub stops.

I would probably pick a pubstop/Britstop if I fancied a drink or a meal and a CL for a quiet night(y)

I don't mind paying either way...........................

:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some people are very shy and would not ask in fear of a refusal but because of BritStops that fear is removed.

I am a BritStops member but haven't used any as yet, mainly because of our need for EHU which limits things. Some BritStops do have EHU, just none in the areas we are likely to visit this year.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp

do you mean in your opinion you don't agree the right to share or do you mean WE MUST NOT SHARE
britstops dont make it easier for motorhoming what about ukcampsites no fee to them and what about a google search for sites near x y z no fee to them either by all means u pay ya fee's i will watch on here and elsewhere for people's opinions about where to go and whats it like and it will be a unbiased opinion imho of course :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I fear I would feel guilty stopping in a pub car park and not buying something from them. These places don't join BritStops for that to happen, they want the custom. They may have agreed to it but it isn't what they want and to me it seems like freeloading to just use their car park and not put anything back in return. Which of course is where the BritStops model gets a bit shaky - if you feel you have to eat or drink out every evening it would rack up the cost. You should be able to stay on a paying site or CL and cook your own food and drink supermarket booze for a lot less than a night out in a pub. Great for a treat but doing it every night? Unless of course you just park up and keep out of the pub! :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Britstops aren't all pubs! Pubs are easy it's the more unusual stops that make the membership worth the money.... places like farm shops and craft shops.

I would be happy to buy produce in a farm shop as we have to buy food / eat and even though a farm shop may be more expensive than a supermarket if you get better quality and a stop for free, well, why not?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
do you mean in your opinion you don't agree the right to share or do you mean WE MUST NOT SHARE
britstops dont make it easier for motorhoming what about ukcampsites no fee to them and what about a google search for sites near x y z no fee to them either by all means u pay ya fee's i will watch on here and elsewhere for people's opinions about where to go and whats it like and it will be a unbiased opinion imho of course :)

What about places that have only started allowing stopovers because Brit Stops went to the effort of contacting them? Those places would not have appeared on ukcampsites, Google or any other website if it wasn't for their work.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i have never stopped at a pub without using the place either for food or drink most places allow u to stop overnight if you ask

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
There is only 1 Britstop on the Isle of Lewis and I stay there on a regular basis !!
She is even ferrying me and Jeannie to our wedding and acting as one of the witnesses, her sister is the other one !
And it's not a pub !! It's a pottery !:blush::blush::blush:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Britstops aren't all pubs! Pubs are easy it's the more unusual stops that make the membership worth the money.... places like farm shops and craft shops.

I would be happy to buy produce in a farm shop as we have to buy food / eat and even though a farm shop may be more expensive than a supermarket if you get better quality and a stop for free, well, why not?

We have used many of the farm shops and other places and also prefer these as they can offer more than just food and drink and almost always they are in the rural parts of our countryside and so much quieter. Excellent ones we used on our recent trip following the East coast of Scotland (none were pubs)were number 826,829,807 and 815 in the book, all in very quiet locations. 810 N of Dundee is also excellent even having water and dump facilities.

Therefore you can see from our experience there are many Britstops that most MH'ers would not be aware of their willingness to let you stay the night. So if a CL charges £10, you could say we saved £50 on one trip. Yes we did buy some produce but we would have had to buy that anyway.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
There is only 1 Britstop on the Isle of Lewis and I stay there on a regular basis !!
She is even ferrying me and Jeannie to our wedding and acting as one of the witnesses, her sister is the other one !:blush::blush::blush:

Wonderful! Congratulations! :clap:

It's the first Brit Stops wedding! :h:

Steve and Mandy
(oh, and where's our invite?) ::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Wonderful! Congratulations! :clap:

It's the first Brit Stops wedding! :h:

Steve and Mandy
(oh, and where's our invite?) ::bigsmile:

You are most welcome....15th. September. Stornoway reg.office !:blush::blush::blush:

p.s. Does that qualify me for a free book next year ??:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Well....I have just ordered the Britstops book . Hopefully we will find some useful overnight stops in September . Undecided whether we will head to Scotland or Norfolk ...in the end weather forecasts will decide . We have headed to Europe every time for the last 6 years so this time we will stay in the UK and hope for the best . Starting to do research now about CL s and campsites near to Cyclepaths for Plan A Scotland as well As plan B Norfolk .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back