South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Ok off to France next week,
We would like to stay connected.
Excuse our ignorance how do we stay connected via wifi or mifi not sure of the difference!!!
And what options are there ?

We also have a status aerial fitted to or MH and have considered a satellite dish, why can you not stream sky go and terrestrial channels to eliminate the need for a costly satellite dish.

Thank you in advance

:)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Wifi
Lots of aires or municipal campsites have free wifi also if near a tourist information centre usualy free wifi.
Mifi
We have a 3 (three) sim in mifi unit and have just returned from trip touring France .Have been able to connect to net where wifi not available.
Same data plan as in the UK since July 1st.
TV
Retuned tv to French channels no problems using status omnidirectional antenna. OK if you can understand the French language. Managed to see world cup without problems.
Cant help re:satellite. :)
Hope this helps :blusher:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
................ why can you not stream sky go and terrestrial channels to eliminate the need for a costly satellite dish ..................
:)

I suspect data charges would make the satellite option appear to be extremely cheap :whatthe::whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Streaming tv using your mifi (data) would use it all up and work out to be expensive, for example 30 mins of TV could use 1gb. If you find a site that offers wifi( not data) this is the cheapest option but not all will provide enough mbps to stream tv without constant buffering ( pauses) we took dvds (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If you want to use "Sky Go" you will need firstly an IP address in the UK as it will not work outside UK ( there are ways of doing this some free some you pay for ). The problem with "Sky Go" and "IPTV" is they are data hungry and on a mifi you will use your allowance in no time. If you're on a site wifi unless they have 3mb down and 520kb up minimum you will get "freezing picture" every few seconds. As many are doing this now on camp sites when 5 or so users connect to watch IPTV ( this includes Filmon ) the system falls over and NO ONE can use it. Even web pages slow down or stop loading. The same thing happens when many users on the campsites are on Skype as this is also data hungry when video is used. Many camp sites now are blocking Filmon and IPTV sites for this reason.
The satellite dish option is by far the best way to get perfect TV picture every time, however this will only work in UK and part of France and Germany. What I mean is you will get BBC, ITV etc, but as you move away from UK into France and Germany you will NOT get these channels ( BBC, ITV CH4 etc ). The rest of sky ie: Sky 1, sky sports, movies etc all work across the EU providing you have a card to decode them.

Until camp sites and many "free wifi" sites upgrade their internet speeds to around the 50MB down and 20Mb up or better you will have more problems than it is worth. Even the MiFi system is limited as you will go over the "far useage" of the unlimited data the 3 network offer.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
With digital terrestrial TV now there are often several audio streams broadcast at the same time. On dubbed films the original language is often broadcast on Audio 2 (with the language of the local country on the default Audio 1).

So, tune your TV to the local channels, in your TV's menu change the settings to Audio 2 (some TV's seem to need this done for each channel and on other TV's all the channels with go to Audio 2 straight away). Then, when there is a programme with English language as the original audio (and many films and sitcoms are) you'll know about it.

This does mean that news/weather is rarely in English (but it does happen if you can pick up an International News channel) but you can normally work out what you need to know from the pictures :)

Some people are able to watch UK TV over the internet but this is very antisocial as it hogs all the available internet (wifi or 3G dongle) and is a bit hit and miss anyway.

That all said, I watched one evening of TV in the whole 4 months we were away over the winter. Too much other stuff to do :)

OP
OP
TheDentons

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Thanks for the replies I guess streaming is not an option any suggestions on the mifi?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You cannot stream Sky Go if you are outside the UK. It registers where you are when abroad.

It may however be possible if you use a proxy server, but the amount of data you use would require a very good fast wifi connection, or a local sim card with unlimited data at high speed. = Damn expensive.

I used to watch satellite tv using a £40 set up when touring, including France. That was my old Sky dish mounted on a £18 tripod with a coax cable with 2 "F" connectors on it connected to my Sky Box in the van.

It worked perfectly. Having satellite does not have to be expensive. if you dont have a sky Box you can get a 12v Freesat receiver for about £40, so total outlay for satellite less than £100, much cheaper than internet data charges or slowing up a campsite wifi system..

Mifi just put in a local sim with data allowance, or just get a UK "3" sim and stick it in your smartphone having bought a data add on. "3" have no roaming charges in France any more, so you have your UK data allowance at UK rates.. At least that will keep you connected to the net and e-mail etc.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
You cannot stream Sky Go if you are outside the UK. It registers where you are when abroad.

It may however be possible if you use a proxy server, but the amount of data you use would require a very good fast wifi connection, or a local sim card with unlimited data at high speed. = Damn expensive.

I used to watch satellite tv using a £40 set up when touring, including France. That was my old Sky dish mounted on a £18 tripod with a coax cable with 2 "F" connectors on it connected to my Sky Box in the van.

It worked perfectly. Having satellite does not have to be expensive. if you dont have a sky Box you can get a 12v Freesat receiver for about £40, so total outlay for satellite less than £100, much cheaper than internet data charges or slowing up a campsite wifi system..

Mifi just put in a local sim with data allowance, or just get a UK "3" sim and stick it in your smartphone having bought a data add on. "3" have no roaming charges in France any more, so you have your UK data allowance at UK rates.. At least that will keep you connected to the net and e-mail etc.

Yes you can stream Sky Go outside the UK with the correct settings. You will need to get an IP blocker which give you and UK IP address no matter where you are. To do this google it and follow the "how too"

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the above can be summed up as forget any sort of internet TV. It can be done and there are companies you can sign up to who effectively rebroadcast the TV signal over the telephone system using methods which fool the UK TV channel into thinking you are in the UK but it requires a very good connection and bandwidth at your end, i.e. sitting in the MH. You would also need an effectively unlimited data allowance. It is perhaps practical for those living in a house or flat who can sign up to a landline but trickier in a MH.

This subject was discussed at length here when the satellite TV signals changed in February. Nowadays, you can only get UK TV by satellite down to about the middle of France using the sort of dish fitted to a MH.

So, it's either the Monopoly set or buy a satellite system and don't go down too far south.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes you can stream Sky Go outside the UK with the correct settings. You will need to get an IP blocker which give you and UK IP address no matter where you are. To do this google it and follow the "how too"

That what I meant when I said use a "Poxy server"....... terminology... DOH!....:doh:

I knew what I meant....... for once....:RollEyes:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We rarely use our TV (just during the winter when the nights are long). Most of the time we spend the evenings reading or chatting with other campers. I would suggest a 3 Mobile sim with a £15 bolt on to get unlimited data so that you can read the UK papers, surf and email and get some wine and good books.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I think the above can be summed up as forget any sort of internet TV. It can be done and there are companies you can sign up to who effectively rebroadcast the TV signal over the telephone system using methods which fool the UK TV channel into thinking you are in the UK but it requires a very good connection and bandwidth at your end, i.e. sitting in the MH. You would also need an effectively unlimited data allowance. It is perhaps practical for those living in a house or flat who can sign up to a landline but trickier in a MH.

This subject was discussed at length here when the satellite TV signals changed in February. Nowadays, you can only get UK TV by satellite down to about the middle of France using the sort of dish fitted to a MH.

So, it's either the Monopoly set or buy a satellite system and don't go down too far south.

This needs to be explained in more detail. You can get loads of the Sky UK Channels (with your subscription card in your sky box ) in Portugal, Spain, France Germany on a 85cm dish without problem. What you can not get below the middle of France and beyond is BBC1,BBC2,BBC3,BBC4,ITV,ITV2,ITV3,ITV4,CH4,CH5 (UK local channels). I use Sky all over Spain with sub card and watch Sky1 all the sports channels etc etc no problem.

Reactions: DBK

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This needs to be explained in more detail. You can get loads of the Sky UK Channels (with your subscription card in your sky box ) in Portugal, Spain, France Germany on a 85cm dish without problem. What you can not get below the middle of France and beyond is BBC1,BBC2,BBC3,BBC4,ITV,ITV2,ITV3,ITV4,CH4,CH5 (UK local channels). I use Sky all over Spain with sub card and watch Sky1 all the sports channels etc etc no problem.

Agree with Don Quixote;

I have a Sky HD box with an HD card, and I get all the Sky channels, Sports, Movies etc, in Spain and Portugal, plus ITV 3 and 4 in HD and Channel 5 in HD, as well as National Geo HD and Discovery HD channels. I can sometimes get Ch 4 (Eire) but you have to add that to the box as a manual channel, if you have a UK card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back