ABC News Video ---Aged Tyres (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Steve
Its worrying, as a small Tyre Retailer ourselves we only stock popular sizes and order in daily anything else we need so our stock rotation is constantly changing
However there has to my knowledge been no official notification to the trade as to what is an aged tyre, recomendations are no good, and certainly no returns system exists, what do the trade do??? throw their stock away at a given age, who's going to pay for that!!!!!!!!!!! if it happens to become compulsory, written off as a tax loss I guess
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
use by date !

a video that opens ones eyes to a hidden danger ! does the uk adopt the same date stamp marking and if not does anybody know the uk mark ? i for one would like to know when my next set of tyres was made, tyres for a MH are not cheap and i would hate to have a set of "new" dangerous tyres. thanks for an informative thread ! :Sad:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
a video that opens ones eyes to a hidden danger ! does the uk adopt the same date stamp marking and if not does anybody know the uk mark ? i for one would like to know when my next set of tyres was made, tyres for a MH are not cheap and i would hate to have a set of "new" dangerous tyres. thanks for an informative thread ! :Sad:
Yes it does:thumb:
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve
Its worrying, as a small Tyre Retailer ourselves we only stock popular sizes and order in daily anything else we need so our stock rotation is constantly changing
However there has to my knowledge been no official notification to the trade as to what is an aged tyre, recomendations are no good, and certainly no returns system exists, what do the trade do??? throw their stock away at a given age, who's going to pay for that!!!!!!!!!!! if it happens to become compulsory, written off as a tax loss I guess
Geo

Hi Geo,

I know a lot of Dealers that do this and can normally be supplied within 6 hours.
By far the most viable option.

It's the larger suppliers that worry me.As new stock comes in, do they put them to the bottom of the pile?I cannot see that somehow.And Tyre fitters.Do they check the age of supplied tyres coming into them?

There's a lot of Grey areas here.I do hope they don't become part of the MOT System.:Doh:

Yes...by all means make the owner aware but there are a lot of other criteria involved like perishing due to age and signs of delamination.An "old" tyre could look perfectly ok depending on how it's been kept.I reckon there are more problems with inflation pressure being kept right than tyres failing due to age in storage.Well that's my own personal opinion anyway.

With all this a tyre that has a high speed rating could lose that capability after a couple of years in a low mileage situation like classic car usage.

I don't think the Tyre fitter should take the rap for old tyres being supplied.

Is there a return policy for this, should tyres that have just been supplied(not fitted) and "out of date" being returned?

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
I am already paranoid about tyres, now i am worse, are the date of mnftg on our tyres geo?

ruth

oops:Doh: already answered the ? in an earlier post, soz:Blush:
ruth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What yer like,have you checked them yet:Eeek:
something like Dot ???????????????????????????????last four numbers 1603 =week 16 year 03 or another example 5199 =week 51 year 1999:thumb:
Geo

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
What yer like,have you checked them yet:Eeek:
something like Dot ???????????????????????????????last four numbers 1603 =week 16 year 03 or another example 5199 =week 51 year 1999:thumb:
Geo

:shout:TONY HAVE YOU CHECKED THEM YET:RollEyes:

ruth

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2
DOT Codes and the 6-year shelf life
As part of the DOT code (G in the tyre marking above), there is a tyre manufacture date stamped on the sidewall. Take a look at yours - there will be a three- or four-digit code. This code denotes when the tyre was manufactured, and as a rule-of-thumb, you should never use tyres more than 6 years old. The rubber in tyres degrades over time, irrespective of whether the tyre is being used or not. When you get a tyre change, if you can, see if the tyre place will allow you to inspect the new tyres first. It's not uncommon for these shops to have stuff in stock which is more than 6 years old. The tyre might look brand new, but it will delaminate or have some other failure within weeks of being put on a vehicle.
Reading the code. The code is pretty simple. The three-digit code was used for tyres manufactured before 2000. So for example 1 7 6 means it was manufactured in the 17th week of 6th year of the decade. In this case it means 1986. For tyres manufactured in the 90's, the same code holds true but there is a little triangle after the DOT code. So for this example, a tyre manufactured in the 17th week of 1996 would have the code 176
After 2000, the code was switched to a 4-digit code. Same rules apply, so for example 3 0 0 3 means the tyre was manufactured in the 30th week of 2003.

Check your spare
I had a reader email me about the age code and he pointed out that it's wise to check your spare tyre too. In his case, he had an older vehicle but his running tyres were all nice and fresh. It was his spare that was the problem - it had a date code on it of 081 meaning it was manufactured in the 8th week of 1991. At the time of writing, that was a 16 year old tyre. So you've been warned - if you're driving an older car, check the date code of your spare. If you get a flat and your spare is gently corroding in the boot (or trunk), it won't do you much good at all.

:Smile:
Keith

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A video worth watching.

Thanks for that George. I have just had six new Barums put on last week, and the date codes are 2208 and 3008, but only on two of them. I have still to find the date stamp on the other four, but it is not in the same place as the first two. :whatthe:

Jock.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A video worth watching.

Thanks for that George. I have just had six new Barums put on last week, and the date codes are 2208 and 3008, but only on two of them. I have still to find the date stamp on the other four, but it is not in the same place as the first two. :whatthe:

Jock.
Its on there somewhere Jock try looking for DOT and its usually at the end of that maybe on the inside walls of the others
Geo
Jock if you look carfully at your quote you will see Jockandrita have been corrected by the spell checker to Jocundity, I just had to google the word, bet you cant reist doing it also
Very apt too

Last edited:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
On the subject of tyres does anyone know how damaging is the effect of the Sun's UV rays? Will this drastically reduce the alleged 6 year life span of a tyre?

Just to be safe I have fitted tyre covers when parked up even in this country (at least they keep the tyres dry:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

100_2154.jpg

Regards Pat

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
maybe on the inside walls of the others
Geo
Jock if you look carfully at your quote you will see Jockandrita have been corrected by the spell checker to Jocundity, I just had to google the word, bet you cant reist doing it also
Very apt too

You are right George, two at 3008, and four at 2208, but had to do some crawling to find them. :Doh:

jocundity
the quality or condition of being merry or cheerful. — jocund, adj.
See also: Attitudes, Happiness

You know me better than most on here George, and I'd say that the meaning is "spot on". :ROFLMAO:

Jock.

P.S. For some reason, I am not getting email notifications AGAIN. :cry:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
P.S. For some reason, I am not getting email notifications AGAIN. :cry:

Well I am now, and it came from someone by the name of Duancigilli, about the virtues of "Accutane" and birth control! ! !
What the hell's that got to do with an "ABC News Video" featuring "Aged Tyres" ?

WRONG FORUM MATEY. :roflmto:

Maybe the person is really an IT expert, going round forums, sorting out folks little glitches, sponsored by some family planning outlet, eh? I would have thought that Durex, rather than Duancigilli, would have been a more suitable name on the forum.
Now then, what about their Avatar? :Eeek:

(Yep, I know............OFF TOPIC JOCK). :winky:

Ta ta.

Jock.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its more likely your Avatar that has attracted a family planing response:Eeek:
Geo

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Its more likely your Avatar that has attracted a family planing response:Eeek:
Geo

Sorry George,

I fail to see how snuggling up to keep warm, on a cold winter's night, can attract a "family planning" response. :whatthe:
Unless of course it was back in the days of industrial unrest and major power cuts, but we were too young to have done anything other than play hide and seek at the time, which is what we still do in our Avatar :ROFLMAO:

Whatever will people think next? :winky::winky::winky:

Jock.

A

Alenuelus

Deleted User
and helps your skin renew itself more quickly.

Link RemovedWhat is the most important information I should know about Accutane?Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed - Buy Accutane

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Well I am now, and it came from someone by the name of Duancigilli, about the virtues of "Accutane" and birth control! ! !
What the hell's that got to do with an "ABC News Video" featuring "Aged Tyres" ?

And now the same bl##dy stuff is coming through from someone by the name of "Alenuelus."

Come on mods, what's the score here?

Excuse me Alenuelus, me and the missus are years away from all that contraception stuff, so give it a rest, eh? :swear:

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back