My Slide Out Wont Slide Out- HELP (1 Viewer)

superwhite

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi
Our Slide out will not come in or go out smoothly just lately.

We have had to bring it in manually.

Can anybody suggest what might be wrong with it .

It does not work on the electric or the generator

Thanks

June

:cry:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Could you give us a bit more info? Is it electric or hydraulic? Does it move at all? Any strange noises?

I'm sure we can help

Doug

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Is the motor working?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had problems with one of my slides in that they drop slightly over time and then the motor can struggle. Mine has a couple of adjustment nuts on each slide out arm that can lift it a little and this can make a big difference.

OP
OP
S

superwhite

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Funster No
Its electric with a manual backup.

It was working perfectley a month ago but over the last few weeks it has struggled more and more.

Now it will not operate on the electrical switch. It will work on the manual hydraulic back up.

The motor is working ok.

Jim may be somewhere near.

The bottom of the slide out is wood panelled and today when moving the slide out back in there were wood shavings to be seen.

I have seen the support beams that Jim is talking about and the bolting assembley. It may be that by lifting the slide out about 5mm that will do it. Its just a case of figuring out how I lift it.

Thanks

June & Jim

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When you have figured out what nut does the lifting, may I suggest you don't rely soley on the nut to lift it.
Take the main weight off the mechanism with a blocks of wood and small bottle jack, then adjust nut and lower slide back down.
Expensive damage will be caused to the threads if slide is not supported:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
S

superwhite

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Funster No
Thanks Geo

I will have to take the slide to its extended position to get to the bolting assemblies. Its to late in the day for that, plus I'm to tired.

From memory these bolts are fixed into a slot and when untightend they will move up and down in the slots. Move the slide up or down and then tighten the bolts to adjust the slide elevation.

It may not be so easy to move the slide up, I have a feeling, again from memory that the slide may already be adjusted to its maximum elevation. In any case I wont be trying it until I have time and I'm concentrating properly.

If there is any risk that the slide will drop or damage itself in any way it will be a workshop job.

Cheers

June & Jim:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
Just for other peoples information there was a very simple solution to this problem. The steel rams had not been lubricated properley.
Another good tip was to spray the rubber seal around the slide on the inside with back to black. This will stop any resistance when sliding out whilst still maintaining a good seal

Cheers

Jim :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So is Superwhite now changing his user name
to SuperCrimson:Blush: or Slick 50 prehaps:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Geo,
:Blush:
supercrimson would probabley be the correct name change. So I was wrong. It isnt the first time and it wont be the last. :Doh:

In defence the guy that soughted it went straight to the cause of the problem and said that it a common fault that he was asked to repair so maybe this will help others with the same problem.:Smile:

I cant be the only stupid person on the planet (or can I) He could have told me all manner of things however he did the right thing and it cost me virtually nothing. :RollEyes:

The slide amongst other things was worked upon by Midland in Coventry, they did an excellent job

Superwhite is the missus :winky:

Cheers

Jim :thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Just been reading this post with interest as we've recently been thinking about what maintenance we should be doing on the slide out on our fifth wheel.

What should we use to lubricate the rams? Is there a right and wrong product to use?

What else should we be doing, other than the tip about sparying the seal with back to black?

Thanks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just been reading this post with interest as we've recently been thinking about what maintenance we should be doing on the slide out on our fifth wheel.

What should we use to lubricate the rams? Is there a right and wrong product to use?

What else should we be doing, other than the tip about sparying the seal with back to black?

Thanks.
Hi
Contact Linda at Stateside Tuning advertised on here, as there is a proper lubricant for the job and believe it or not its called RV Slide Lubricant, failing that any DRY lubricant will do the job ie graphite spray types but you must stress DRY lubricant, do not use any other, oils etc as these will atract dust and grit causing premature wear and or failure of the mechanisms
Geo
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back