How do you book a winter away return trip ? (1 Viewer)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Was mentioned last winter that according to some insurance policies that you had to book a return for your insurance to be valid ,I have been trying to check out prices for this coming winter away(wahoo ) but each ferry company I try does not give out any prices beyond Jan / Feb 2015 ... just wondering what others do ?

Last winter - our first away , I booked a single trip out then booked nearer to the time of our return home

thanx for any info
Kath

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We used the tunnel - didn't seem to be a problem. Like you, the previous winter we only booked one way but this year the travel insurance insisted on a return trip (no bother 'cos we could easily change it).

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Terry who with and what dates.. did you book online or telephone, I cant get a return date beyond February with any of the ferries, cant recall if i tried return with the train though

Ahhh the penny has now dropped... book the latest date showing, then amend it later on ... yes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In a similar vein? What are the Chunnel admin like at changing a return leg of the journey.
Whilst in an ideal world it would be lovely to book umpteen days (weeks,months) in advance but, things happen, disaster's strike, etc.
I'd like to know in advance what the downside is, if, no, change that, WHEN I have to ring them up and beg to come home early, late or whatever.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Eurotunnel, direct by phone - you have to with Tesco vouchers. As I recall, it was much closer to our departure date so presumably the later dates were available. As now you only need to book a couple of weeks in advance we don't bother, although I have heard that it seems to get more expensive the closer to departure date you get and there's also the possibility of limited places available. We've never had a problem though.

But yes, I suppose if you HAVE to book now that's the way to do it - not sure though if there's a rebooking fee.

Terry

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In a similar vein? What are the Chunnel admin like at changing a return leg of the journey.
Whilst in an ideal world it would be lovely to book umpteen days (weeks,months) in advance but, things happen, disaster's strike, etc.
I'd like to know in advance what the downside is, if, no, change that, WHEN I have to ring them up and beg to come home early, late or whatever.

The one time we did it, about 3/4 days in advance of our return trip they did it instantly over the phone, no problems and no charge (but as above not sure if there should have been or not).

Terry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When you book with the tunnel, they give you a reference number and a password you can use to change date/time on line. Usually no charge unless you're changing to a more expensive time of day.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same happened to us last year so this year when booking our Santander ferry and the return schedule isn't out yet.
I mentioned this to the Carefree holiday Centre (cc&c club) and they pre registered us for our return in April and is now able to book travel insurance with them as well (worked out cheaper )plus get tesco points for the whole transaction whereas with bf they wouldn't take credit cards.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back