lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We left a very warm Sweden yesterday to head for Flam in Norway, so far the scenery has been totally stunning and I doubt we've seen the best. On the way here we drove round Oslo which has a toll and due to taking a wrong turn I think I might have been charged twice will have to wait and see, driving up the E16 we have drove through the longest road tunnel I think in the world at 24.5KM long and even had rest areas.

We broke the journey last night by parking in a lovely spot next to the river and had a BBQ, arrived in Flam this morning and booked into campsite for 2 nights at a cost of £27 per night so not that expensive as everyone says. We did stock up in shopping before leaving Sweden including a few bottles of Kopparberg and just as well as I just noticed the price of a beer £7.60 for 1 glass. I also bought my Dad 4 bottles from the local brewrey and it cost me £23 he better bloody enjoy it.
Anyway its a massive thunderstorm now so just relaxing with my cheap cider, tomorrow we are booked for the Flam railway.
Just to let you know all my post have been using a 3 sim in my ipad and so far no issues, although we can't get Lorraine and Sophie's phones to work and they are both 3 no doubt something I'm doing wrong but not an issues as using iPad as hotspot.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you seen the film Troll Hunter? Just be careful up there. That thunderstorm might been the Troll Hunter in action.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
wish i could convince the other half that Norway is a credible option. i loved the scenery and the people when i visited while in the forces. although did not like the beer prices then let alone now :(

i am sure you will be spellbound by the fjords Gerry.

on the 3 mobile using your ipad as a hot spot; i thought tethering even if it was in your contract was not allowed?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
wish i could convince the other half that Norway is a credible option. i loved the scenery and the people when i visited while in the forces. although did not like the beer prices then let alone now :(

on the 3 mobile using your ipad as a hot spot; i thought tethering even if it was in your contract was not allowed?

AMF(L) or Royal? Did four winters and have been back many of times, what a country but the price of 'green death' is even more outrageous now than in the eighties!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We left a very warm Sweden yesterday to head for Flam in Norway, so far the scenery has been totally stunning and I doubt we've seen the best. On the way here we drove round Oslo which has a toll and due to taking a wrong turn I think I might have been charged twice will have to wait and see, driving up the E16 we have drove through the longest road tunnel I think in the world at 24.5KM long and even had rest areas.

We broke the journey last night by parking in a lovely spot next to the river and had a BBQ, arrived in Flam this morning and booked into campsite for 2 nights at a cost of £27 per night so not that expensive as everyone says. We did stock up in shopping before leaving Sweden including a few bottles of Kopparberg and just as well as I just noticed the price of a beer £7.60 for 1 glass. I also bought my Dad 4 bottles from the local brewrey and it cost me £23 he better bloody enjoy it.
Anyway its a massive thunderstorm now so just relaxing with my cheap cider, tomorrow we are booked for the Flam railway.
Just to let you know all my post have been using a 3 sim in my ipad and so far no issues, although we can't get Lorraine and Sophie's phones to work and they are both 3 no doubt something I'm doing wrong but not an issues as using iPad as hotspot.

Very envious of you in your current location. The Flam train stops half way down at a very impressive waterfall, get the cameras ready for that and I hope the weather is great for you, an unforgettable journey by any standards, enjoy.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
AMF(L) or Royal? Did four winters and have been back many of times, what a country but the price of 'green death' is even more outrageous now than in the eighties!

AMF(L), at the time that Brig Rory Walker introduced RM instructors. 7 winters

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope you are having a ball but your missing the fantastic Scottish weather.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
AMF(L), at the time that Brig Rory Walker introduced RM instructors. 7 winters

A bit after my time in AMF(L) but we were lucky we had M&AW cadre with us for the first year. Why the reticence from the other half, mine loves it and we've got a project planned for North Norway and particularly Pasvik and Varanger Fjord late in 2016 so my missus can see the Northern Lights.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Apparently the Flam railway was described as the best railway journey in the world by Lonely Planet - enjoy!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
With regards to the price of beer, are you limited on how much you can bring with you from UK?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i did 3 winters 80 - 82, then " a break"! in Scotland (y) to return in 85 for another 4 winters. the other half perceives it as a " long way to travel" and likely to be wet and not particularly sunny. odd really as we spend 6 - 8 weeks at a time touring France.
i would love to see it in the summer. i'll just have to keep working at it! :LOL:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
With regards to the price of beer, are you limited on how much you can bring with you from UK?

Into Norway, yes but I've not been stopped myself as always cross from Sweden. Don't know what the limits are but the Norwegian Tourist Board has an excellent website which I suspect has that sort of detail. Whatever, don't let anything stop you going to Norway and Sweden, the big outdoors it is and we have absolutely nothing to compare with it on the same scale.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
i did 3 winters 80 - 82, then " a break"! in Scotland (y) to return in 85 for another 4 winters. the other half perceives it as a " long way to travel" and likely to be wet and not particularly sunny. odd really as we spend 6 - 8 weeks at a time touring France.
i would love to see it in the summer. i'll just have to keep working at it! :LOL:

Did an ex as 'enemy' to the Norgies near Stavanger one summer and that's what whet my appetite as well as one of my boys marrying a girl from Bergen whose wedding me and Mrs BB attended. Snow on the Hardangervidda on August 21st 86 when we'd had high twenties in Voss the day before!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Love it Gerry - keep up the posts

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Lucky s*d, can't beat France but until I finally retire it's 3 weekers for us.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

One of the best resources for planning a Scandinavian 'adventure' is
http://www.langdale-associates.com/sweden_2013/sweden.htm
The couple whose website that is are currently in Norway and update the site regularly. Absolutely priceless reporting on the good, the bad and the ugly campsites and on every other facet of travel by motorhome/camper, well worth a look, and not just for Scandinavia.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replys, the thunder storm has now passed and not sure if I saw a troll or it was just the grumpy old German in the next van :rofl:, now have a lovely blue sky at 21.50 and its broad daylight. This is only our second day here but I think the scenery makes up for the price of beer, maybe I'm just saying that as I brought mine :rofl:.

Robert just as we entered Noway they had closed the motorway off and took everyone up a slip road through customs, just like the air and ferry port lanes for nothing to declare and to declare. I would have put mo ey on us being stopped but they just waved us through and stopped the MH behind.

Phill I haven't checked my mileage today but we are under 1000 road miles for our journey so far and we did about 350 driving from Amsterdam to Travemunde for ferry to Sweden so not that much when you consider you take 6 week holidays..

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Not sure about the tethering Phill but using the iPad as a hotspot would just be the same as a MIFi and I only bought 3G PAYG and we still have over half left.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure about the tethering Phill but using the iPad as a hotspot would just be the same as a MIFi and I only bought 3G PAYG and we still have over half left.

That's great - post pics of Swedish birds then

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
From memory the view of the waterfall on the Flam railway is on the left as you go up, so grab the best seat for the view before everyone clambers over you with their cameras.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back