Hi - Newbie in Dorset saying Hello, and lots of help wanted ! (1 Viewer)

forfein

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
HymerMobile B544
Exp
Newbie (2 weeks)
Hello everyone

I joined the site after finding this on Google

It seems to be nice and friendly, and I hope to find lots of info to help me please !

A total newbie, I have decided to try and tour Europe, I have purchased an old HymerMobile B544 and it is now ready to go (Almost) !

My idea is to put a little Fiat Seicento on the back of it, and tow it, so that I have a small car to travel in after parking up.
It sounds OK to me, no doubt there will be flaws in my thinking ! Like I said, I am a newbie!

I want to put a tow bar on the back of my vehicle, but I have been underneath it, and it looks a little bit flimsy to say the least ! Not really a huge chassis to hang a tow bar on it !
There is an added bug bear because the "waste water tank" is strapped to the chassis at the rear.
So how do I get around that ?

Like I said . . . newbie ! . . . and I will ask all sorts of funny questions . . . hope to get help !

Thanks
Geoff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't tow a car would be my answer! But welcome and I am sure someone with knowledge of this MH will be able to answer. :)

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Geoff and welcome to the Fun! (y)

Vehicles have to be towed on platforms not A-Frames in Spain as they are classed as illegal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A total newbie, I have decided to try and tour Europe, I have purchased an old HymerMobile B544 and it is now ready to go (Almost) !

My idea is to put a little Fiat Seicento on the back of it, and tow it, so that I have a small car to travel in after parking up.
It sounds OK to me, no doubt there will be flaws in my thinking !
Geoff

That is exactly what many FUNsters and even more non-FUNsters do every day.

Excellent vehicle. Just go to a reputable tow-bar supplier and hit the road.

But you have been warned about the legality of A-Frames.

Plan B, a good electric bike.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a towbar fitted to my B544. You're right there is not a lot there. We ensured the towbar we had made was attached to as much of the chassis as possible, this made it heavy though as it goes down about a metre each side with five bolts a side. We regularly tow 1500kgs (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had a towbar fitted to my B544. You're right there is not a lot there. We ensured the towbar we had made was attached to as much of the chassis as possible, this made it heavy though as it goes down about a metre each side with five bolts a side. We regularly tow 1500kgs (y)
Not sure you can have a custom made tow bar these days. Could be wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back