no signal (2 Viewers)

ronidog

Free Member
Aug 14, 2008
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
I have a Nikkai 10.4" freeview tv model jvt104a and Status 315 ariel that came with my pre owned motorhome.

The ariel box shows a red light so it has power. When the tv is connected up all I get is 'no signal' message . I pressed the auto search button on the remote to try and retune. However the 'no signal' message came up again. I have tried this at three different locations and still get the same message. Has anybody got a suggestion of what to next?

If not, are there any good companies that i could go to for advice and help in the Bradford/Harrogate/Halifax area?

Thanks Ronidog.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Its a bit unclear in your post but has the system EVER worked or is it a new motorhome to you and you cant get it to work??:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Are you in a freeview reception area?
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure what model the status 315 is but if its one of those flying saucer types theres yer problem.

some people swear by them but i dont think their to bothered about a crap picture.:Doh:
unless your very close to a transmitter you aint gonna get a signal......they bearly work on anologue signals so digital is asking too much of it.:RollEyes:
you need a good quality DIRECTIONAL aerial designed for digital.
or better still a sat dish. :thumb:

john.

OP
OP
R

ronidog

Free Member
Aug 14, 2008
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
I have freeview in the house.

The motor home is new to me and so i am just learning about it - I have not got the tv to work yet.

Ronidog

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a Status 315 aerial fitted to our van when we bought it. It is a bit hit & miss when it comes to receiving signals so we bought a Vision Plus 530/18 with appropriate booster box & fittings.

I don't recognise the model number of your TV but it may be like Link Removed which we bought from Maplins.

If you have both digital & analogue in your TV, try tuning in the analogue channels. You might not get a good signal but, unlike digital, analogue isn't all or nothing - and if you do get a signal it will tell you that the 315 would probably be OK in a good signal area.

Graham

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
ariels

this may sound obvious but are you pointing the ariel towards the transmitter ? when i arrive on site i always look at the other units and homes to see which way to point! :Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
terrestrial based freeview is very hit and miss try pluging your main house ant into the tv do you get a picture. I get a fabulous picture at home even on my mobile ant but 3 miles away and 200ft higher, no picture. Until the whole of the UK converts and signal strength increases it will continue to be a problem. Try a sat receiver and dish.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
A very timely post,

I have a status 315 and to be quite honset I have never received a picture that is worth watching. I too have just brought a new TV and am looking at an aerial. I want the status 5/ because whenever I speak to others they seem to get a pic in most places. I thought I might find a bargain one on ebay from these MHs that put in saterlitte systems but no such Joy yet. :Sad:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I concur with what everyone else is saying, digital reception through a status 315 aerial is very hit and miss. When I got my M/H I couldn't get freeveiw at all with the status but I purchased another ordinary style aerial and mounted it on a couple of tent poles, pointed it in the right direction and hey presto, a brilliant reception with full range of programmes, switched back to the status - no picture, same location. As was said in an earlier post, when we switch over completely to digital it should all improve. Dispite leading Europe in digital tv we cannot switch over to full digital power until 2012 as the signal is too great for our continental friends in France and they loose their picture, Oh dear how sad.!!!!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I concur with what everyone else is saying, digital reception through a status 315 aerial is very hit and miss. When I got my M/H I couldn't get freeveiw at all with the status but I purchased another ordinary style aerial and mounted it on a couple of tent poles, pointed it in the right direction and hey presto, a brilliant reception with full range of programmes, switched back to the status - no picture, same location. As was said in an earlier post, when we switch over completely to digital it should all improve. Dispite leading Europe in digital tv we cannot switch over to full digital power until 2012 as the signal is too great for our continental friends in France and they loose their picture, Oh dear how sad.!!!!!

can I ask? When you put your ordinary aerial on did you still use the status booster box?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some aerial boosters do not work with digital, in fact there is less signal than without the booster. Some of the home ones that let you run 2/4/6/8 TVs off one aerial will not work with digital either. Nothing works here anyway we're not getting digital till 2012 :Sad:, possibly cause we're on the coast so perhaps ours would interfere with the French (I wonder how much they'd care if they were interfering with ours:ROFLMAO:)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As somebody else said. Try it through the tv Ariel in your house. If you get a good picture the problem has to be the Ariel.

Get a sat dish. :thumb:

Cheers

Jim

:winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
can I ask? When you put your ordinary aerial on did you still use the status booster box?

When we bought our Vision Plus aerial we bought a booster box for it. Even though they are made by the same company and (apart from markings) are identical externally, apparently the Status 315 booster cannot be used with Vision Plus aerials and vice versa.

We've never noticed deterioration of digital signal when using the booster box.

At home we use a booster box which is also an aerial feed splitter so that we can direct the signal to both a hard drive recorder and a DVD disc recorder. We had that set-up before digital started but it causes no problems with digital signals.

Graham

OP
OP
R

ronidog

Free Member
Aug 14, 2008
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Hello folks

Thanks for the good debate and suggestions

To sum up my thoughts to date:
It looks like my ariel is a bit rubbish. To get it to work at all I would need an a new anologue tv.
Freeview is a bit rubbish, variable in quality and needs adirectional ariel

Free to Air satellite seems to offer good possibilty.

However that requires a satellite ariel and satellite receiver. I have looked at the mobile systems. They have issues such as the space to be occupied in my little home and that the fact that we will probably be moving sites frequently during our trips out gives them minus points.

So the big decision is should I go for a Camos crank up dish to fit in where the existing ariel is plus a Zhender receiver? More expensive than intended :Sad:but a good quality system that is easy to us and takes up little space.:winky: (need to convince a ceratin person)

Any thoughts ? Alternative suggestions?

Ronidog

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi ronidog

I have he same TV & have had great pictures ffrom Freeview, satellite & terrestrial TV. I have a directional ariel & so many times I dont know what direction to point it in. I therefore often have to tune in more than once to find the best direction.
I have fitted a Camos Crankup flat satellite dish which I find is excellent & very simple to tune into Astra 2 & the Sky progs. :thumb:
Even SWMBO SAYS IT'S A GOOD INVESTMENT. :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
A very timely post,

I have a status 315 and to be quite honset I have never received a picture that is worth watching. I too have just brought a new TV and am looking at an aerial. I want the status 5/ because whenever I speak to others they seem to get a pic in most places. I thought I might find a bargain one on ebay from these MHs that put in saterlitte systems but no such Joy yet. :Sad:

Hi Haganap

I recommend this ebay shop
Link Removed

I use my home SKY box but I exchanged a lot of emails with Jonathan from this ebay shop before buying a package consisting of Tripod, Skydish and sat finder. Their prices are excellent! :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hello folks

Thanks for the good debate and suggestions

To sum up my thoughts to date:
It looks like my ariel is a bit rubbish. To get it to work at all I would need an a new anologue tv.
Freeview is a bit rubbish, variable in quality and needs adirectional ariel

Free to Air satellite seems to offer good possibilty.

However that requires a satellite ariel and satellite receiver. I have looked at the mobile systems. They have issues such as the space to be occupied in my little home and that the fact that we will probably be moving sites frequently during our trips out gives them minus points.

So the big decision is should I go for a Camos crank up dish to fit in where the existing ariel is plus a Zhender receiver? More expensive than intended :Sad:but a good quality system that is easy to us and takes up little space.:winky: (need to convince a ceratin person)

Any thoughts ? Alternative suggestions?

Ronidog

Hi
Try giving Leisuretech in Clitheroe a call. It sounds as though your fairly close to them. This may sound silly but for various reasons I woudnt touch them with a barge pole, however, I do know that they have a lot of expertise with this stuff. Just get the info out of them for free and then go elsewhere.

Cheers

Jim :thumb:

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Maxview portable dishes

Hi! we are going to France at Christmas and I'm not sure my wife can cope being away at Christmas without access to British TV.I thought I might buy a Maxview portable 66cm Satellite Dish and connect it to my now redundant sky box. Are they easy to use?
Will this allow my wife to watch Christmas TV while I'm skiing?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi! we are going to France at Christmas and I'm not sure my wife can cope being away at Christmas without access to British TV.I thought I might buy a Maxview portable 66cm Satellite Dish and connect it to my now redundant sky box. Are they easy to use?
Will this allow my wife to watch Christmas TV while I'm skiing?

hi bunny,

the dish is a bit fiddly to set up. IE finding the sattalite and locking on. otherwise it should be ok. just take your time and dont forget there is a slight delay between adjusting and getting a picture so move the dish very slowly, a little at a time. the 'upward' angle will be a little more than in the UK but with maxview you shoulkd get a card with the inclinations on.
otherwise do a 'google' on the settings.

will it be tripod mounted or on a pole/suckers?

if its on a tripod then peg the 'pod to the ground incase it gets windy.

cant imagine xmas with no TV:Sad:

PS welcome to the 'FUN'

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
T-V

Hi

Usefull "rule of thumb" If you can`t get channel 5 on your "bog standard" analoge t-v/ aerial setup you are unlikely to be able to receive digital without a major upgrade of aerial. my "omnidirectional" Status is useless in most remote area`s too.

Current setup:- "reclaimed" sky dish (skip diving). old Camera Tripod, LNB off e-bay, "donated" sky box. Sat finder from maplin £15. gets me (UK) T-V as far as the french/spanish border. AND brownie points from "management"!!

pete

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sky but what about ?????

I now have Sky!!!! :Cool:Loads better than the old terrestrial signal that I use to get . The portable dish was easy to set up and relatively easy to tune in especially with the sky box.

I now feel that with the exception of needing to drill a hole through the side of my motorhome for the waterproof cable thingy that my life is complete!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I assume that all the power cables etc are visible and that nothing lurks inside of the wall????
:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::Eeek::Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume that all the power cables etc are visible and that nothing lurks inside of the wall????
:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::Eeek::Eeek:

nice one Bunny.....you wont regret it. just be careful where you pitch...tree's ect.

i fitted the aerial connector box inside the rear locker, no wall drilling, then routed the TV coax to the locker,the dish coax going in through the locker door edge, the weather seal has enough 'give' to shut easily and seals around the cable. plus the added benefit of being totaly waterfroof around the plug area.
much neater than another 'bit' stuck to the side of your van.

all this is now redundant and removed since i got my crank-up dish.::bigsmile:

happy viewing,

john.

R

reader

Deleted User
I suspect its the Status315 that isn't up to the job (from past experience and as others suggest), but you could check the coax connections at the plugs. Another contributor could be the quality of coax is not always brilliant and has loose wound braiding which will affect performance.
My first thing would be, check plug connections and then fit a better aerial. Dont take too much notice of any stated gain figures and would suggest a directional model

Bunny

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thank you!

Thanks Pappajohn putting the connector inside the motorhome is a really good idea!:thumb:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
missing signal

Hi Ronidfog
The symptom you describe is caused by one of 2 things.

1. there is no antenna connected
2. the TV is set to an signal input that you are not using.

with 1. thats easy to check. just plug in any old antenna even an indoor one and the "no signa should dissapear. if its still there then the cause is probally 2.

your TV mat be able to receive signals from different sources ie Video recorder, antenna, scart socket. You will have the facility to switch the tv between these different inputs or "sources". Find out where this is on the remote (probally a box with an arrow coming out) and keep pressing this till you find the source your using. The TV will display the dirrerent souces on the display.

Hope this helps

Phill

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
Status omnidirectional arials are useless, so much so that i wouldn't have one fitted to my new van, even though they offered to throw one in with the deal. I also dont like holes drilled in my roof unless i cant help it.
I use a cheap £10 domestic arial that i bought from Argos and a slot together aluminium pole that is fixed to my rear ladder and just feed the coaxil cable through the back door. This gives me a good reception for Digi TV in most of the places i'm parked up.

OP
OP
R

ronidog

Free Member
Aug 14, 2008
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Hello all

Thanks for a great thead and aload of ideas:Smile:

The problem is now solved!!:thumb:

The tv was fine. The problem was the status ariel is omnidirectional and cannot pick up a weak digital signal.

Thanks to good advice from Roadpro and excellent fitting from Leuisuretech I now have a camos flatsat crank up. The telly works a treat. We can now go away and while away the cold nights drinking timothy taylors landlord whilst watching crap tv programmes :roflmto:

Ronidog

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back