Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Following on from an earlier thread found here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/this-could-save-your-life.83995/

I found this clip and visited the website, seems there is a peace of mind approach to blowouts if it's as good as they say.

http://www.tyron.co.uk/why_tyron_motorhomes.htm

Looking at the evidence and video clip, it certainly looks like a good system and pretty well backed too.

Is it value for money, I suppose that depends on our outlook regarding punctures or blowouts.

Any Funsters had this fitted or has any history of the product??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I must confess to being a bit sceptical, on the basis that if it was that good they would be fitted as original equipment to more or less every vehicle, given there isn't much to it. It seems to work on the video but what sort of tyre was it? Was it a cross-ply?Radial tyres are more or less universal these days and have thinner sidewalls. Also, the device would be no good if your tyre disintegrated, which is probably the most likely cause of sudden deflation. However, if your tyres are in good condition this should never happen, unless say you hit a ginormous pothole at speed, but that would probably wreck the wheel anyway.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I must confess to being a bit sceptical, on the basis that if it was that good they would be fitted as original equipment to more or less every vehicle, given there isn't much to it. It seems to work on the video but what sort of tyre was it? Was it a cross-ply?Radial tyres are more or less universal these days and have thinner sidewalls. Also, the device would be no good if your tyre disintegrated, which is probably the most likely cause of sudden deflation. However, if your tyres are in good condition this should never happen, unless say you hit a ginormous pothole at speed, but that would probably wreck the wheel anyway.
I'm a little sceptical, but lots of evidence to back it up. Best thing is, that it's each to their own and whether they want to spend the extra money for added peace of mind :)

Ignore the American opening, it soon moves on to the UK tests.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I believe on newer vans, ESP helps greatly with post blowout stability.

Ultimately I reckon a good tyre inspection and tyre replacement regime is the best way to avoid rapid deflations.

Watch out for those cracking, underinflated, old tyres folks!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Tyron bands do work well but many tyre shops will refuse to deal with them as they don't have the tools to remove and refit them. Also they have a habit of rusting up and then being a real pig to shift. Not from personal experience, just what I have been told by a few tyre fitters recently.

D.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Tyron bands do work well but many tyre shops will refuse to deal with them as they don't have the tools to remove and refit them. Also they have a habit of rusting up and then being a real pig to shift. Not from personal experience, just what I have been told by a few tyre fitters recently.

D.
Thanks Dave, it's good to get feedback :)

The website did sell a small toolkit to use to remove them when having the tyre replaced , but the rust would be a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have Tyron bands fitted to my van. When I went to have the tyres replaced (I bought them from an internet company which uses independent fitting workshops around the north west) the tyre fitters went ape shit. They took an hour to remove and fit the first tyre due to lack of experience but gradually built up their performance to 10 mins for the last. Their gripe was the time it took and the consequent fixed fitting fee from the tyre supplying company. Fully agreeing with their point and being happy with their service I donated some cash toward the fitting. Consequently everyone was happy(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back