LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its every motorhomers worse nightmare. A steer axle blowout. This is what you should do, but how many know it, and how many would have the balls to do it should it happen to you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7vkiHi2I8"]Watch this! #1 reason why speed limiters kill... - YouTube[/ame]

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Been there done it :ROFLMAO:
Just another day on the job :ROFLMAO:

Seriously I stopped watchiing @ 3.55 to the average driver in the average car that info is pretty useless as most cars are front wheel drive & the correct technique here is to maintain speed neither accelerating or braking & gently steer of the road into a layby.

Never Hit the brake period.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well I think this was a brilliant post. We are not all died in the wool driving experts, some of us are newbies. I for one had no idea that this was the correct technique for dealing with a blow out in a van. And as I just purchased a big old van I think watching this video has been invaluable to me. So thanks for that, very interesting and very good to have learned something today! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks - useful to me also. I would just have braked, will try to remember if it ever happens to me.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having held a HGV licence for over 40 years and driven trucks on several of the worlds continents, I do consider myself a fairly proficient driver, BUT, not all know what I know, and if that little video saves one life then its well worth posting. Thanks to those that took the time to watch it. I just hope that the one person that took the time to watch it is the one that has the front offside blowout when he is approaching me or mine travelling in the opposite direction. At least he will be the one that has some idea of what to do, instead of the natural reaction of putting his foot on the stop pedal.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I found that very useful and lamely admit to not knowing it. But it does make perfect sense.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many years ago I was driving west on the M4 towards Swindon when suddenly just ahead there was what appeared to be small explosion of dust and a car shot left and buried itself in the bank.

I stopped to find the driver completely unhurt, which given this happened at about 70mph was remarkable.

It turned out his front right tyre blew out catastrophically. I suspect now his reaction to this was to stamp on the brakes - and flew into the shrubbery as result.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just catching up with this. Interesting, BUT, ultimately you need to come to a stop so just what is accelerating achieving?

Clearly braking is a bad idea but I'm not sure how accelerating helps when, at the end of the day you need to stop.

I guess it might give you a moment or two to sort out the steering correction that you need to do but given that you will have to come off the throttle, surely ultimately control is through steering correction, not acceleration.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Accelerating counters the dramatic drag of the failed tyre & helps stabilise the vehicle. The are actually no suspension / steering / wheel & tyre failures where braking is a good idea. No matter what has happened to any of these components given half a chance the vehicle will stabilise and remain controllable. Minimum driver input will allow it to do so.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Accelerating counters the dramatic drag of the failed tyre & helps stabilise the vehicle. The are actually no suspension / steering / wheel & tyre failures where braking is a good idea. No matter what has happened to any of these components given half a chance the vehicle will stabilise and remain controllable. Minimum driver input will allow it to do so.

Minimum driver input doesn't satisfy those out to prove that "speed limiters are dangerous", which is the tag line beneath the video. At some point you have to slow down so I would just gently ease off the throttle (it being the minimum possible action that will get me to stationary without further destabilising things).

All in all, I think that video is desperately unscientific and potentially dangerously misleading.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back