private plates.. what's the low down ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I want to put a plate on the van.. It used to be a simple matter of going to the local office and doing the deed ..
I am somewhat concerned about doing it now as there is little info available

In days of yore you took your old tax disk along.. it was refunded and you paid for a new disk..

Nowadays ??

I have read the blurb but it is ambiguous in many areas.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Download V317, print off (DVLA site)
Fill in with owners details
Numbers off both tax discs
Both Vin numbers
Send both log books
Both MOT's
£80 Fee

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
(y)(y)Just talking about doing ours as well .
Gonna sell the 2nd car as we never use it but the no is worth £2500 . Was gonna sell it but family said keep it had it 30 years so may put it on the van.
Be interested to hear how you get on .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
People next door have two private plates. They keep one car SORNed so they can keep the second plate. Seems silly when she no longer drives but their choice.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Pain in the arse if u want to sell - gotta transfer it or put on retention before you get rid of whatever motor it's on. Fine if keeping long term.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You have an option to put any number onto retention, it has to be a car registered to you on the V5, although if you are selling it you have an option to add a new name as a nominee

To transfer a number onto a vehicle you already own, you are right you need to send all the papers to Swansea and hope, the easiest option is if the number you want is already on a car you own or on retention. Most plates bought through an agency will come on retention

Retention costs the same as swapping plus £25, (you can do a much longer retention now, I think it adds £10 / year) but there is no charge when you are ready to put it on a vehicle from retention

I hope this helps more than hinders

edit - I was still writing while Dave chucked in his opinion in :D

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Download V317, print off (DVLA site)
Fill in with owners details
Numbers off both tax discs
Both Vin numbers
Send both log books
Both MOT's
£80 Fee

I do not have the number at the moment.. It is for sale on the DVLA site

Sooo
I download the form and fill it in and supply the number on the tax disk ( or do I have to send them my tax disk ? )

Send a load of money off and then what ?

Can I continue to drive the van on the existing plates until the new one is completed ?

Obviously there will be a point in time when I will be driving around on plates that are no longer right for the van

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Sooo
I download the form and fill it in and supply the number on the tax disk ( or do I have to send them my tax disk ? )

Can I continue to drive the van on the existing plates until the new one is completed ?

Obviously there will be a point in time when I will be driving around on plates that are no longer right for the van

If being sold by the DVLA you will be sent a retention document when you have paid your money over, at this point your current vehicle is unaffected

You then need to send your V5, MOT if applicable, photocopy of tax disc with the retention document filled in back to DVLA

They will then send you confirmation of the change, a document to take to get plates made, the new tax disc and MOT with number changed, then your V5 will follow

Much easier to do than to write about it (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You just send the numbers off the disc

Drive on existing number until you hear from DVLA

Don't forget to tell insurance Co when you put new plates on

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
People next door have two private plates. They keep one car SORNed so they can keep the second plate. Seems silly when she no longer drives but their choice.
Would be cheaper to put the plate on retention (£25 a year I think), and get rid of the car :D

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
When you swap plates - keep the old ones. When you sell the vehicle and therefore transfer your private plate the next vehicle, DVLA will assign a "new" plate to the existing vehicle - normally, it's the original.
Not sure if that reads as simple as happens in real life. It's been a long day ! :sleep:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I bought mine to go on the new van, V750 arrived from the plate company within a week, the dealer sent that off to Swansea to register the van, V5 and tax disc back in about 3 days. Couldn't believe it!

If the van is already registered you keep driving it until you receive the new paperwork and tax disc at which point you have a few days to get plates made and fitted then you have to send the old V5 and tax disc back to them.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Goodness. Not sure where I got £25 from, unless it's gone up in the past few years ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It is £25, but you also have to pay the retention amount as well first £80, then add as many years at £25 as you want to retain it for

No refunds though for unused years if you put it on a car before

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is £25, but you also have to pay the retention amount as well first £80, then add as many years at £25 as you want to retain it for

No refunds though for unused years if you put it on a car before

thanks David.
i stand corrected and apologies to Gizmouk

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
And when you've done all of the above John, your be in the shop getting your new plates then they ask you for money to drill the bloody holes, 50p a hole in Halfords or do it yourself. :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Would be cheaper to put the plate on retention (£25 a year I think), and get rid of the car :D
Their old car is a banger and will never run again - will probably need to be physically lifted onto a low loader!!!! I don't know anything about the costs of private plates never having owned them and having no burning desire ever to do so, but each to their own....

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just transferred one myself,called insurance to let them know the reg change
£ 23.50 admin charge.? Directline.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And when you've done all of the above John, your be in the shop getting your new plates then they ask you for money to drill the bloody holes, 50p a hole in Halfords or do it yourself.
:rolleyes:

I make my own plates so that aint a problem !! ;) LOL !!!!

Thanks to one and all for all the help and info..

When we get back in September I will proly go ahead and get the new number :)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Sooo

I bought mine of off the DVLA site, all very easy, you get some kind of retention cirtificate which you send back when you want to put number on with the vehical details etc, they then send you new updated log book (C5) new tax disk and a doc to get plates made up, you send back old tax disk,
tell insurance put plates on.

welcome to the world of the vain.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Their old car is a banger and will never run again - will probably need to be physically lifted onto a low loader!!!! I don't know anything about the costs of private plates never having owned them and having no burning desire ever to do so, but each to their own....

Be warned! There is some 'small print' in the DVLA terms and conditions about transferring the registration from an old vehicle. It must be done within 12 months of the expiry of the last tax disk! And by implication, within a maximum of 2 years of the last MOT. Doesn't matter if the old vehicle has been correctly SORNed - that apparently doesn't count! We got caught out and had transfer of a valuable plate refused, even though we were told everything was fine when we visited a DVLA office in person with all the completed paperwork. A couple of days later received correspondence to say they wouldn't do it.

To cut a very long story short, we appealed and eventually reached a compromise, and the plate was transferred. This all happened 18 months ago and it's on our car now, rather than the van. The plate has three good letters followed by the number 1.

Mike

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Be warned! There is some 'small print' in the DVLA terms and conditions about transferring the registration from an old vehicle. It must be done within 12 months of the expiry of the last tax disk! And by implication, within a maximum of 2 years of the last MOT. Doesn't matter if the old vehicle has been correctly SORNed - that apparently doesn't count! We got caught out and had transfer of a valuable plate refused, even though we were told everything was fine when we visited a DVLA office in person with all the completed paperwork. A couple of days later received correspondence to say they wouldn't do it
Mike

Good post - I nearly lost a number plate the same way, had to insure, MOT and tax to transfer.

If there is a reason for these 'rules' it's not obvious to me - apart from DVLA just being a pain for the sake of it !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My previous private plates were:

707 LOL

J11WSO ( Spaced thus, J11WS O! with judicious use of number plate bolts turning the 11 in to an A

This time.. dunno yet. As they are clamping down on odd spacings I will proly go for something obscure.. Just want to get the year related plate off the van

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I sen to recall someone had a reallg obscure spelling of chieftain on ebay last year . It was stupid money and didn't really look like any thing special. Stick to the dvla site and get a cheapie there there you just need to think outside the box

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Still lots of MH** FUN plates on DVLA

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov...2.y=22&super=&super_pricefrom=&super_priceto=

fun%20plates-M.png

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
does the rule that the plate cant be a newer year reg than the vehicle still apply?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The private plate isn't my problem but if I see the neighbours I'll let them know. They probably know the rules already but no harm in a friendly reminder.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back