water problems & engine problems with 435 (1 Viewer)

F

Frosties

Deleted User
i think we have settled on a 6 month old (march 2008) bessacar 435 fiat ducato 2x50 with the multijet 130 diesel engine. can anyone tell me if this model has any of the juddering problems I have read about. also what are the water problems people have referred to in my last posting (engine problems). This is my first motorhome so I dont want to get it wrong. I am nervous when someone only has the van for 6 months and only does 1600 miles. The dealer tells us the previous owner didn`t like the layout, but I wonder if a problem did show itself. any advice would be welcomed please.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Frosties,ask / check that scuttle has been modified,then jump in and drive it in reverse with revs on to see if it judders:thumb: after that it is not unsual for a nearly new van to be swopped with small mileage (you can find some 10 yr old vans with 15k on)Compare prices new and for your second hand one ??? if it sounds a good deal go for it :thumb:Swift are very good at rectifying probs more so than any others on here::bigsmile:
terry
REMEMBER to check everything before parting with your hard earned :thumb:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
ref marquis motprhomes newbury

read my report early on today there is no way i would deal with the marquis group again sales staff great after sales are just not interested will be fobbed of again&again still waiting for work to be done from may this year think trice before you part with your hard earned cash (sales staff must work on a commision basis thats why there so good) as for after customer servise spoke to Steve at southhampton last week told me he would put the phone on me has i was talking to loud to him i pointed out that i wear hearing aids asked to talk to after sales manager told i would have to put it in writing i put the phone on him was just not interest rang newbury sales manager was going to ring ref vicki no reply as expected waited another two days rang southhmpton again to be told the service manager was on a late lunch will be about twenty mins he wil call when he gets back which he did told me every thing would be sorted out took van in tuesday last week to be told short staffed & staff on sick leave was told the work would take a day&half told them to keep van until work was complete rang thursday morning telling work was complete you can guess what still work to be done awaiting spares will call when?? tony:Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
middlesex/ mojacar spain
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
approx 18 months
bessacar worries

hi chris its mick
i think your right to be concerned that someone would sell a £34000 motorhome because they didn't like the layout, that has to be the one thing your sure about before you but it. everything else is faith because they are unknown. maybe you could get the previous owners phone number and ask them. either way your test drive should be thorough and not just a 10 minute drive. i hope that your visit tommorow works out well and you get the van, dont pass any cash until your 100%
speak later
mick

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
hi chris its mick
i think your right to be concerned that someone would sell a £34000 motorhome because they didn't like the layout, that has to be the one thing your sure about before you but it. everything else is faith because they are unknown. maybe you could get the previous owners phone number and ask them. either way your test drive should be thorough and not just a 10 minute drive. i hope that your visit tommorow works out well and you get the van, dont pass any cash until your 100%
speak later
mick

I don't believe for one moment that it is suspicious that someone sells a new motorhome on because they don't like the layout - that is precisely what many, many people do - we certainly did!! We purchased our first motorhome, an Autosleeper Ravenna, which was traded in after only 7 months by the first owner as they did not like the layout, and it only had around 2000 miles on the clock. It certainly looked very new and as if this was true, and never gave us a moments trouble while we had it (just as well as it came from Brownhills!!)

We ended up loathing the bed layout ourselves and trading up to an A class having put only a further 1500 miles on it in the year we owned it.

So, don't think that a very low mileage or reports that the owners did not like the layout are either suspicious or not plausible - mileages in any event are often far, far lower in motorhomes than normal cars and it is the regular care and maintenance rather than the actual mileage displayed that counts for a lot in a motorhome.

Approach the sale carefully and check everything - test drive it equally carefully and if possible take a knowledgeable friend with you as well. Remember, its a buyers market - if you aren't entirely happy, walk away, there'll always be another one waiting out there for you!!!

Just don't think that a very low mileage or a previous owner not liking the layout are necessarily odd or implausible, as they are completely possible and yes, it does happen that you buy the wrong van and make an expensive mistake and that you don't travel extensively in the motorhome!!!!

Laurie

Last edited:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
purchase motorhome

Hi Frostie how did you get on with the purchase of your motorhome? nice to now if all turned out well and good luck:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dogdevon

Free Member
Aug 1, 2009
Ivybridge
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Bessacarr 435

No problems with our 2003 - recently purchased - 9,000 miles - July. We've done 1000 miles and some 10 nights on board. All very OK.

However:-

Check underbody wiring to road lights and consider enclosing. Also the integrity of drain pipes from shower, WC sink and kitchen sink where they pass through the floor.

Check spare wheel carrier - it can become stuck in the down position - the spare is easier to reach and replace than it looks ! N.B. spare is on a steel wheel - never mind the looks - I've put our spare on the front - to use an unused spare !

We have access to farm land and several fields where we spend the occasional night -- be careful on wet grass and any degree of slope. We have not got stuck yet but see it a likely hazard.

Worth fitting a mudflap, at least to nearside rear - make one from a rubber floor mat and screw to floor with lots of sealant - to stop crap getting onto the electric step and its motor and the grey waste tank drain. The automatic retract on engine start on ours has just failed - the step works OK but not automatic from ignition - dealer is to fix it next week.

We also found the ratchet for the wheel jack was missing.

Kitchen sink tap outlet - it swivels and folds down - came off in my hand - was cracked - is to be replaced - no problem thereafter.

Keep in touch !

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
read my report early on today there is no way i would deal with the marquis group again sales staff great after sales are just not interested will be fobbed of again&again still waiting for work to be done from may this year think trice before you part with your hard earned cash (sales staff must work on a commision basis thats why there so good) as for after customer servise spoke to Steve at southhampton last week told me he would put the phone on me has i was talking to loud to him i pointed out that i wear hearing aids asked to talk to after sales manager told i would have to put it in writing i put the phone on him was just not interest rang newbury sales manager was going to ring ref vicki no reply as expected waited another two days rang southhmpton again to be told the service manager was on a late lunch will be about twenty mins he wil call when he gets back which he did told me every thing would be sorted out took van in tuesday last week to be told short staffed & staff on sick leave was told the work would take a day&half told them to keep van until work was complete rang thursday morning telling work was complete you can guess what still work to be done awaiting spares will call when?? tony:Doh::Doh:

Hi Tony,

If your still having problems, bring the Bessie to us, obviously we cannot do anything under warranty as the Swift one has expired unless the seller gave you an insurance based warranty.

Have a word with Glenn or Ian.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back