LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
after leaving Gails birthday bash I got flashed:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Subsequently(today) I had to attend a speed awareness course as you do.:whistle::whistle::whistle: anyway as part of it I was surprised to learn that motorhomes over 2 tonnes yes 2 tonnes come into the speed limit catagory of 7.6 tonnes
ie single carriageway 50 mph
dual carriageway 60 mph
motorway 70 mph
Although there seems to be an anomily re private heavy and goods, authorities are unsure so ere on the side of caution and apply goods limit

you have been warned :crying::crying::crying:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont forget......your insurers (nor anyone else) cant check if you have been on a course so no need to declare it.

The only body who can access the database are police forces considering offering a course as they need to know if a course has been taken in the preceeding 3 years which will exclude you from another in that time frame.

You were NOT prosecuted for an offence, ergo, technically no offence was committed.

Now, step up those who dont agree and foolishly admit the speeding course to their insurers.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Dont forget......your insurers (nor anyone else) cant check if you have been on a course so no need to declare it.

The only body who can access the database are police forces considering offering a course as they need to know if a course has been taken in the preceeding 3 years which will exclude you from another in that time frame.

You were NOT prosecuted for an offence, ergo, technically no offence was committed.

Now, step up those who dont agree and foolishly admit the speeding course to their insurers.

i didnt get offered it,,, 37 mph in a 30 zone ,,,3 points and £30 fine ,,,first time out in our new mh 3 years ago,,,,,now i get lights flashed and horns blown as i stick to all speed limits through built up areas,,,,,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i didnt get offered it,,, 37 mph in a 30 zone ,,,3 points and £30 fine ,,,first time out in our new mh 3 years ago,,,,,now i get lights flashed and horns blown as i stick to all speed limits through built up areas,,,,,,
Yes, you have to meet a certain criteria to be offered a course.

Usually a combination of posted speed plus 10% plus 2mph for a 30mph offence.....35mph.......more or less than 35mph and no course offered.

I beleive the calculation is the same for all speeds

Last time i checked it is now 3 points and a £60 £100 fine......the course fee is variable and set by local area organisers but around 50% more....of course, you dont pay the fine as well....just the course fee.

The courses are usually run by the AA.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought the speed limits were only different if you were over 3050 kg unladen. Also if the insurance co ask if you have done a speed awareness course and you say no and it later turns out you have surely your insurance is invalid (same as if you make up an occupation )

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought the speed limits were only different if you were over 3050 kg unladen. Also if the insurance co ask if you have done a speed awareness course and you say no and it later turns out you have surely your insurance is invalid (same as if you make up an occupation )

David

As i said, they only people who can access the data base are police forces to check if a course has been offered and undertaken within the last 3 years.
Only one course is offered per 3 year period regardless of where you were flashed.
Insurance companies can never access the data base and as said, no offence is recorded so no offence was commited in law.

Jun 9, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Malibu T500
Exp
Since 2014
Having done the course - prior to acquiring Boris - I can confirm all that pappajohn says? I can also confirm that I now adhere to the speed limits as above - albeit through gritted teeth at times! However I find it much easier to do in Boris because it's like being on holiday on wheels so chill!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have done one for doing 84mph in a car on a quiet dual carriageway at night when if it had been 82mph I would probably have been ignored. Anyway most of the course I attended was devoted to speeding in built up areas and the likelihood of killing someone doing nearer 40 than 30 in a 30mph limit. I am much more careful now than I was to keep speed down in built up areas. Also it was embarrassing to many of us not knowing some of the later additions to the highway code, which tell you if you are in a 30 limit when no signs are visible, having been driving for 40+ years.:(

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
after leaving Gails birthday bash I got flashed:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Subsequently(today) I had to attend a speed awareness course as you do.:whistle::whistle::whistle: anyway as part of it I was surprised to learn that motorhomes over 2 tonnes yes 2 tonnes come into the speed limit catagory of 7.6 tonnes
dual carriageway 60 mph
motorway 70 mph
Although there seems to be an anomily re private heavy and goods, authorities are unsure so ere on the side of caution and apply goods limit

Well that's just wrong.

Up to 3.05 tonnes unladen treated the same as a car.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
dual carriageway 60 mph
motorway 70 mph

I think they misinformed you the limit is 3050kg Max Unladen Weight NOT over 2000kg. as timdownieuk suggests and links to the .gov web site.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hopefully your speeding course was for proper speeding not their interpretation of the rules, what were you going in what limit?

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hopefully your speeding course was for proper speeding not their interpretation of the rules, what were you going in what limit?

A bit worrying that those running the course appear a bit clueless about the law.

Tim

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I think that the 2 tonnes limit applies to car base vans like the astra, VW Caddy for example.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have done one for doing 84mph in a car on a quiet dual carriageway at night when if it had been 82mph I would probably have been ignored. Anyway most of the course I attended was devoted to speeding in built up areas and the likelihood of killing someone doing nearer 40 than 30 in a 30mph limit. I am much more careful now than I was to keep speed down in built up areas. Also it was embarrassing to many of us not knowing some of the later additions to the highway code, which tell you if you are in a 30 limit when no signs are visible, having been driving for 40+ years.:(

That isn't a new addition: it has been the case since 1984 that a "30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 200 yards apart".

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think that the 2 tonnes limit applies to car base vans like the astra, VW Caddy for example.

They are subject to the same limits as cars and any other van, the lower limits are for towing vehicles etc.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
That isn't a new addition: it has been the case since 1984 that a "30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 200 yards apart".

I passed my test in 1969.

The other factor is the lack of repeater speed limit signs in a built up area which are then automatically restricted roads and thus limited to 30mph but more recently could be lower at 20mph according to ROSPA.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
They are subject to the same limits as cars and any other van, the lower limits are for towing vehicles etc.
Any car derived van UNDER 2000kg gross has the same limits as a car.
Any commercial van over 2000kg gross is limited to 50mph on A roads, 60mph on dual carriageways and 70mph on motorways.
These limits also apply, as previously mentioned, to motorhomes not exceeding 3050kg UNLADEN. Note, unladen isnt the mass in running order quoted by your MH manufacturer! MH manufacturers generally quote water in tanks and gas on board to calculate the MIRO. You should weigh your van without water and driver on board to get a true figure!
You might even slip into a faster speed limit catagory!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I passed my test in 1969.

The other factor is the lack of repeater speed limit signs in a built up area which are then automatically restricted roads and thus limited to 30mph but more recently could be lower at 20mph according to ROSPA.

Passed mine in 1964:). You're correct about a 20 limit but any variation from 30 on such roads requires a start/end of limit sign & repeaters. 20 is the latest variation but many roads with lights that pass through built-up areas have start/end signs & repeaters for 40, 50, and, occasionally, the national speed limit.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Any commercial van over 2000kg gross is limited to 50mph on A roads, 60mph on dual carriageways and 70mph on motorways.
These limits also apply, as previously mentioned, to motorhomes not exceeding 3050kg UNLADEN. Note, unladen isnt the mass in running order quoted by your MH manufacturer! MH manufacturers generally quote water in tanks and gas on board to calculate the MIRO. You should weigh your van without water and driver on board to get a true figure!
You might even slip into a faster speed limit catagory!

"These limits also apply" which ones you've just quoted two different ones:rollingeyes: . I take it you mean the car limits.

David

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
"These limits also apply" which ones you've just quoted two different ones:rollingeyes: . I take it you mean the car limits.

David

Yes! Slow data here at Wrenbury! I was being economical with words in the post and didnt make that clear!
To summarise, heavier=slower!

OP
OP
scally

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I am sorry but they is the up to date rules as applied and underlined to me on the course after a discussion with similar point to those mentioned above ..

so don't go by what you think it may be wrong... again you have been warned (y)(y)(y)

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009

Cambridgeshire actively prosecute many who are tempted to do 60mph on our A roads.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009

let me try again; Cambridgeshire actively prosecute many who are tempted to do 60mph on our A roads.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I had to attend one of these courses recently as I was flashed they say 35 in a 30. This was West Mercia police, if i had been flashed in my home county Wiltshire I would have been automatically fined and points on license as Wiltshire do not operate any safety awarenes cons sorry courses.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Got offered (and took) a course after a minor excess due to a moment of inattention in a new car. No arguments.

But I have to say that, having driven professionally for some time, I was "disappointed" by the attitudes of the people running the course - attendees being treated as "naughty children" when it was supposed to be a re-education course was a bit much. However I bit my tongue and just said nowt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back