Utter chaos at Red Funnel! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Problems with Red Funnel at both ends apparently.

Currently running about an hour behind schedule.

Any other funsters stuck here?
Looks like we're going to be a bit later to IOW than planned :unsure::whistle:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just seen on news about ferry upper deck collapsed onto lower deck full of cars. I bet there is chaos there now lucky just a few people slightly injured regards Garry flatpackchicken

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Reading into the article is sounds like the hoistable car deck may have suffered a failure (they are usually wire, rather than hydraulic). The marine accident people will be crawling all over that one and the maintenance records had better be up to date.

Lucky it wasn't too serious - but normally they don't allow people on the car decks when they are being moved

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Fortunately, it looks like the lower deck was empty.

Thankfully no cars damaged as well, nice one, hope most of the passengers were able to carry on with there holiday, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Omg that's terrible. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
I've travelled that route many times in the past.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fortunately, it looks like the lower deck was empty.

Thankfully no cars damaged as well, nice one, hope most of the passengers were able to carry on with there holiday, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
They empty the lower deck before playing with the hoistable car decks as usually squashing either people or cars is bad for business and the paperwork is horrendous.

Looking at the picture, it seems that one of the hoisting wires (right side as you look) parted. Cannot understand how passengers were injured unless they disobeyed the instruction to get back from the ramp as it was being lowered. Had this on the Stena ferry from Holland a couple of weeks ago. We all had to stand behind a line behind the joint for the ramp and two Germans refused to get out of their car which was on the ramp part (as was mine). Net result was a delay in unloading whilst an officer was called to tell them that is wasn't moving until they did! Not an language problem either - just a "rules are for others" problem.

Job no 1 on any ship is safety....... or it should be

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back