Holland , first and last (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't go into it cause I am on limited wifi, but as the title says, I shan't be going again in a hurry, Amsterdam ok , the rest sh!! . Can well understand why you see so many Dutch mhs in France.
Back in ipers now I know it's not France but it seems like heaven compared with holland, take my word for it and save yourselves a collosol amount of money.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had about a week there at the beginnin of June on our way to Germany and really enjoyed it ... so tell us WHY you didn't enjoy it please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Stil not got much signal but in no particular order, motorways make m6/m25 like a walk in the park, other roads crowded and same monotonous view , flat fields or industry, in towns no parking or about 2euros an hour, individual Dutch people are really nice and helpful but as a whole just want to rip you off, looked for site around hook of holland last night, tried 3 but just no one wanted to even speak to you, anyway found one that had a bloke on reception said yes we could park 19.80 euros each van, thought that was dear but fed up of driveing around so paid him but this morning went to check out and another bloke said he wanted another 12.80 each because the other bloke had told us wrong, any way the four of us in two vans told him to stick his 12.80 and drove off, expecting the gendarme to pick us up yet everything ridiculas lay dear, just going to stay in France and Spain from now on, just glad to get out of the place

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been to Amsterdam loads of times on bus tours and things, and really enjoyed it so thought the rest of the country would be similer but couldn't have been more wrong, totally opposite to France who are glad to have you there , all they want is to rip you off and get rid

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You could have asked respectively investigated before going :RollEyes:

Paul
That's part of it , you don't need to investigate France you just know there is another free aire coming up around the corner, park up go and use the bar in the village , bobs your uncle

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We went to holland thinking it would be great, but were bitterly disappointed , never going near it again ,I'm afraid

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't disagree really. My experience of Holland is it is the same as Belgium, a place to drive through to get somewhere else. There is a lot of history there but perhaps like Finland it is all just a bit too...flat.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Diesel 1.49 petrol 1.74

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Oh dear.

Sorry you didn't like it.

I had a great time when I was there.

1999 Dynamo Festival. 95 Heavy Metal Bands over three days and nights!

JJ :cool:

That does not sound as though you went to Holland.:wink:

That sounds more like you went to "Paradise".......... (y)

I must admit though, I would have given a rain check to their "raw herring" and "smoked eel" fast food vans.....:blush:

Reactions: JJ

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We went all the way up the coast and over to texil then round the top over the coastal barrier and then down to Belgium , took 2 weeks , Had a great time , the Dutch people love the Brits and could not do enough for us ,
Volendam the hague and Harlem and the old formular 1 circuit ,
Did loads of cycling as well ,

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Went to Assen for the Dutch TT 2 years ago, was supposed to have gone again this year. Stayed in Groningen, found the place and the people brilliant, will definitely go again. ;-)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Used to go to Amsterdam a lot when the kids were in their teens, often taking some of their friends, with assorted tents (don't know what they saw in it). Enjoyed that but I must say I was a bit underwhelmed with what little of the rest of Holland I saw.

Met many Dutch in France of course, usually great people.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Can only speak as I find. I have spent quite a lot of time in the Netherlands ( Holland is just a region) since 1970 and I have always liked the country and the people.
They are all taller than us but I don't hold that against them.
They speak English so that helps, sorry you didn't get on with them, but you should give it another go sometime.
I think you will be rewarded.

:cooler:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Even forgot the bloody bikes everywhere. NIGHTMARE

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh dear.

Sorry you didn't like it.

I had a great time when I was there.

1999 Dynamo Festival. 95 Heavy Metal Bands over three days and nights!

JJ :cool:

Went to Assen for the Dutch TT 2 years ago, was supposed to have gone again this year. Stayed in Groningen, found the place and the people brilliant, will definitely go again. ;-)[/QUOTE. Different if you have something special to go for I suppose

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry last post didn't work right should have said its different if you have something special to go for

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Love Holland and the rest of the Netherlands, Brielle near the Hook of Holland is lovely. Amsterdam is just a city like any other having lived there for a year couldn't wait to explore other parts. Family live in Rotterdam, Bergen op zoom and near Appledorn. Love the fact you can ride your bike safely. Have always camped on back to basic and farm sites and never been disappointed.

Camp sites cost a fair bit in Holland as the tax is high but the facilities are spotless. The Dutch are a nation of travellers and like good value that's why they are always on the move. They also love the hot weather. Don't give up on Holland and the rest of the Netherlands yet it has so many beautiful parts but also some very flat boring parts same as most countries.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
We are just back from a long trip around the country (stayed over in sixteen places). The primary reason was to get back into cycling in a bike friendly (and flat) environment. We covered pretty well all the provinces and the major centres and thought it was a great country.

Sites can be expensive, but they have hundreds of "motorhome parkings" which vary from free, through €7 to €20 (Amsterdam city camp). The campercontact.com site run by the Netherlands Camper Club has them all, plus thousands around the rest of Europe. There is a very good app as well. Most Dutch MH people seem to use the "parkings" rather than sites. We met a huge number of them, so they aren't all in France. Quite a few ACSI sites have a dedicated area for vans which are cheaper than standard pitches (and are in the campercontact directory).

One of our favourites was in Kampen, a Hanseatic League town on the Isselmere. It was in a municipal car park next to a sports centre. Cost €7.50 for 24 hours and had water, chemical disposal plus shower and WC. Dutch and German people in the other vans. Another good one was at a very nice, if touristy, place called Geithoorn.

I reckon the Amsterdam site was well worth it. It is a five minute walk to a free ferry over to the central station. It is a secure compound for fifty odd vans and was full of Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, Swiss people. Very few Brits.

We tend to do Museums, Galleries and historical stuff quite a lot and the country is absolutely stiff with places to visit.

Agree with Red Sonja on all points.

Dave

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We were going to try Vlissingen while in Holland a few weeks ago but switched and stayed at the Zeedam campsite in Breskens.
Had a private hedged-in pitch with water and electric hook up, with entrance to the wave pool, which we made use of every day, thrown in for €15.30 per day. (Wave pool entrance fee was €4.50 if you had to pay)
Pitch was large, site was tidy with clean shower/toilet blocks, hot water always and a small supermarket.
Across the road behind the sea defence barrier is a fantastic golden sand beach, humongous in size.
We stayed for 4 days in the end, it was a nice break after wild camping around Ypres for a week.
Yes, Holland is expensive (€17.50 for a hair trim but worth it for all the local guidance from the barber), but a little research beforehand told us Holland was expensive.
A small price to pay for a nice life experience.
We would definitely return for a visit.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think I have been taken the wrong way again ,I was on limited wifi and only on my phone so maybe it didn't come out quite right , but my main points still stand, I have been going to Amsterdam for over 10 years now for new year, on coach trips and thought it was the bees knees, and so thought the rest of the Netherlands was the same , and always wanted to go in the summer, but have got used to being in France in the motor home, with all the empty roads and wonderful changing scenery and free to park everywhere, going to Amsterdam was fine and the city site is brilliant with free ferry to the centre of town but when we moved out it was a nightmare, crowded motorways , no scenery but flat desolate fields or industrial estates, no where to park , officious police, sneaky camp owners, and the bloody bikes, if you are walking they run into you and if you are driving you just can't see for them at junctions and things, what the hell do they get out of them, they are crazy, and the prices ,wow, where do they get their money from, went to volandam, four small beers over 20 euros, crazy:(:( Afraid I'm not going to try it again, if you like it fair enough, but not for me

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hymie,
We live in Vlissingen :roflmto:
Paul
Maybe we will see you on our next trip Paul, Vlissingen is high on our list of must visit locations.

This was only our 2nd trip out in Harriet and our first trip across the pond, I was really looking forwarded to Vlissingen but our trip was cut short after losing a headlight on the way to the ferry and spending 2 days in Folkstone sourcing and fitting a new one.

It was also our first visit to the Netherlands but we will return, we found it to be a lovely place and the people were great.

Hymie

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Would be nice Hymie, we might be traveling north, south or east when you visit Vlissingen the next time, but if not, you are always welcome.
Don't forget to share your interests so we can give you some adequate information and nice places to go to
Regards
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back