LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We used the aire at Brantome last week, it's a lovely spot on the riverside and close to the town for a drink or a meal. It was 4 euros a night, collected around 8am. There is a Garde de Commune who checks on the aire and he told everyone to roll their awnings in and put their tables & chairs away, first time we've come across that!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Having awnings,tables,chairs etc out constitutes 'camping' and not 'parking'.I've never seen it applied,but,am aware of the rules.
First time we stayed at Brantome I noticed some French vans leaving at 0730 and returning later when the money had been collected :LOL:

Mike

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Brantome is a very pretty place and a good market on a Friday that stretches around the town on both sides of the river.

I've seen the police come onto an aire and make people put away tables and chairs, where vans were unattended, they took the chairs and stacked them on the verge (La Tranche sur Mer - stadium). I think I was once told that you can't put anything outside the van on an aire, as Mike has said, parking not camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We loved that site & only remarked this morning about it as we are staying on an almost identical set up in Bridgnorth at the moment , right by the river & next to a lovely town, although it is a temporary summer site run by the Caravan & Camping club (worth joining online @ £31 as the site is only £8 per night as opposed to £16 charged by the campsite next door!)
When we atayed at Bramtone it was hilarious to watch the French & German motorhomes wait till the payment office had closed to arrive on the aire and then packed up and left 10 mins before it opened the next morning. One morning it was hilarious as the chap opened the payment office early and hid behind a wall and jumped out infront of the motorhomes as they were trying to leave and made them pay!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
Talking about collecting the fees in Aires . We stayed in the Calais harbour entrance aire on the 7/07/14 and nobody collected the € 7 fee which they usually collect around 7-8 pm . There was no info about where to pay either .
Makes me wonder if they were on strike .

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We stayed on a car park in Normandy - can't remember the name but it was the one near the 360d cinema. You can park over night for 4E so we paid & parked up. The attendant shut his kiosk at 6pm and went - about 5 mins later there must have been approx 20 motor homes that came in & parked up - all were gone by 9am the next morning when the attendant opend up his kiosk again!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On the subject of 'awnings out, awnings in' etc. can I ask those in the know. I understand you can buy fitments for the foot of the awning to attach them to the 'van sides, therefore meaning that the awning wasn't attached to the ground.
Is this a No No as well?

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
On the subject of 'awnings out, awnings in' etc. can I ask those in the know. I understand you can buy fitments for the foot of the awning to attach them to the 'van sides, therefore meaning that the awning wasn't attached to the ground.
Is this a No No as well?
Awnings out on an Aire are a nono even if they don't touch the ground. Awning out = camping = campsite.
Aire's are overnight parking areas hence no tables, chairs or awnings and before I get shouted at I do know that awnings, tables and chairs are put out on aires especially by the french but a polite word and they usually comply.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Talking of Brantôme, it is an Aire with an official 41 motorhomes places. When we were there last we counted in excess of 115 vans and not a table, chair or awning in sight (no room) but the morning bakers van was a happy bunny as was the money collector with in excess of €400 collected for the Marie's coffers.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back