Butane or Propane (1 Viewer)

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Sorry for my lazyness in not searching for the answer to my initial question... Either butane or propane has a lower level of volatility doesn't it? So, one is better for use in the winter? Question 1, which one is better to use in the winter and, Question 2 has anyone had problems with the 'unsuitable winter one', if you see what I mean!?

Ta.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Propane boils at well below normal winter temperatures so is the best for all seasons, but butane boils at around zero C so will not be of any use below about 5 C unless you have some way of heating the tank.

Winter use is one area when users of autogas can come unstuck because it is generally a mixture of the two gases but no way of knowing what percentage of each is in your tank. Filling up in the summer may result in a tank full of butane and if that is then used in the winter, you may have problems

Note -- this problem doesn't exist in LPG-powered cars because the fuel is drawn off as a liquid and then either direct injected into the engine or evaporated in a unit heated by the engine coolant.
For use in a motorhome, the fuel is extracted from the tank as a gas, so boiling points are important

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Overwintered in Spain last year with butane. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Several nights the temp dropped below 5C and had to sit freezing or stay in bed until ambient outdoor temp rose above 7C to get the heating started. Now have a Spanish propane bottle for this winter, so will be warm at night.

In the UK gas is sold with a higher % of propane anyway for on-board tanks but when buying bottles always go for propane.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derek h

Free Member
May 29, 2008
Funster No
Overwintered in Spain last year with butane. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

In the UK gas is sold with a higher % of propane anyway for on-board tanks but when buying bottles always go for propane.

Ian

What are we saying here ? Only buy propane? Do you mean all year or only use butane during the summer ?
To say you have me confused may be an understatement.:Doh:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

For simplicity only buy Propane, it works all year round, where ever you are

hope that helps

Braunston

What are we saying here ? Only buy propane? Do you mean all year or only use butane during the summer ?
To say you have me confused may be an understatement.:Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

My mh manual tells me in bold capital letters USE PROPANE. DO NOT USE BUTANE.

I am told by my Local Calor Dealer that the popane gas that goes into the Calor Gas propane cylinder is the same as the gas that goes in to the autogas tank.

Use propane

Cheers

Jim :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
someone told me that propane has a slightly higher calorific value so burns a bit hotter than butane.........dont know if its true :RollEyes: and of coarse it works in winter :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Propane is the one to use all the year round, however butane is denser (15kg in the same bottle as 13kg propane) and the longer chain molecule means you will get more energy per bottle.
I don't suppose anyone would notice the difference however, especially as it wont work when you most need it:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derek h

Free Member
May 29, 2008
Funster No
:Blush:
Things are so much clearer now. I think !
Got me self into a reet state. Calming down now.
Thank you one and all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back