Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Just about to part with some hard earned cash for a 2012 Approach 760 but can't find any reviews worth anthing , has any member got one ???
Have a concern over the heating 2kw elec / 4 kw gas blown air gas no problem but will 2kw elec be enough for a van this size, usually leave ours on 1kw or 500 kW over night in the colder months as we use van all year round

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We used to have a 740 with the same heating system as the 760...it was fine...Leccy took longer to heat up but maintained it fine when temp was reached...we used gas first to bang it up quickly and then ticked over on leccy when hooked up.

Our Bailey was good, just the layout didn't suit us which we learned after buying. We bought another Bailey though so that must tell you something. As a general opinion...good van and very good value for money. Lots of room inside...good shower and cooking area..on the downside, Hab door was poor and general fittings let it down. You could do a lot worse but IMO the 760 ain't the best looker!

Good luck whatever you decide.

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
hi eyeinthesky

Looking at your profile pic I'm guessing you now have the 750?

This is the model my wife and I are going to try and get next year. We particularly like the twin beds and the lounge layout .

Have you discovered any downsides?

kind regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We have a 2012 Bailey Approach 740 and absolutely love it. Generally a good build any minor problems soon sorted out. Buy from a reputable dealer, perfect for our winter weather here and the heating system is good. Go for it !!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just about to part with some hard earned cash for a 2012 Approach 760 but can't find any reviews worth anthing , has any member got one ???
Have a concern over the heating 2kw elec / 4 kw gas blown air gas no problem but will 2kw elec be enough for a van this size, usually leave ours on 1kw or 500 kW over night in the colder months as we use van all year round
Our m/h is the same size as the Approach 760, and the same heater set up. As Eyeinthesky, it takes a wee while to get up to temperature on a cold day, but once there, it's fine. 500W setting is fine throughout a cold night. Not sure you'll need the "500KW" setting :D

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

There's a test/review here:
http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans....-bailey-approach-se-760-test-october-2011.pdf

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We looked at one a few years back. Very nice inside , spacious and bright. As has been said though it isn't the best looking van in the world.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've got the 740SE, as Chris says, spacious and light and airy inside. Heating we've found ok but we've always carried a fan heater for a quick boost when we're switched to hot water, or for leaving on all night in the awning.
flyfish.gif%7Ec100

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have the smaller Bailey 625, since having solar panels fitted we always request, No EHU, this typically results in a reduction of £3 a night in the site fee. Thats over 4 litres of LPG so we use gas as its much cheaper. The biggest downside to the Bailey is the microwave, even with the contents removed for traveling, earplugs are still necessary, it make a right royal racket.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think most, if not all of the heating, poor habitation door and rattling problems (especially the microwave) have been resolved in the new Autograph models.we are in France on our first ever trip abroad at the moment in our 740 Autograph and so far it's been excellent!

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Not sure you'll need the "500KW
wife gets very cold !!!
thanks for all the replies have put down refundable deposit and I'm going back for 2nd look on Sat and wife's 1st look so hopefully can complete the deal if the boss is happy

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Hi ChrisinPlymouth... the 750 has been fine. We have now done over 3000 miles in it and we are chuffed to bits with it!

A few little niggles which our dealer has now dealt with...lightweight fittings, hasps and catches, that sort of thing. We have had the wash basin taken away from inside the shower unit...it makes the shower area much more usable and we are not tiny folk so that worked a treat. The dealer also provided a new plinth and cushion and back to fit in the bit where the table goes, thus turning the whole front of the van into a huge L-shaped lounge...brilliant! We just put the table on one of the single beds when not in use and slot it back in it's place at night...simples. A few rattles but an improvement on the old 740 for sure. We don't do sites much so we needed the garage...that was the main reason for the change.

Downsides...not much realy...You need to watch the ground clearence especially on link-spans on ferries etc. We touched once coming off CalMac in Tarbert but backed off and they lowered the span an inch or so and we cleared no problem. I keep thinking we are going to ground on hump back bridges but never have. I do think the odd rouge sleeping policeman might catch us out one day...we shall see. The increase in wheelbase length decreases the back overhang but makes her less easy to three point turn than the 740...just a small thing but noticeable.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Chris

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Chris

Many thanks for the update....really like the table idea. The lounge was one reason we liked the van in the first place your idea just makes it even better.

Regards

Chris

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Not sure you'll need the "500KW
wife gets very cold !!!
thanks for all the replies have put down refundable deposit and I'm going back for 2nd look on Sat and wife's 1st look so hopefully can complete the deal if the boss is happy

500KW might trip the EHU breaker.
I think you mean 500W ;)

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
This video made me think twice and in the end I bought a Chausson. Still waiting to hear sounds of water sloshing around so fingers crossed!

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We had a similar leak but nowhere near as bad as this! Took it back to the dealer who solved the problem with no difficulty or arguments. Replaced and resealed the corner caps. Warm dry and a lovely van for us with no further issues.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We had a similar leak but nowhere near as bad as this! Took it back to the dealer who solved the problem with no difficulty or arguments. Replaced and resealed the corner caps. Warm dry and a lovely van for us with no further issues.

Same here, if it leaks it leaks and there was a lot of water in ours but cured quickly and easily. Yes lightweight catches on the roof lockers and we've had to replace one so far but none of the rattles on the early model that others have mentioned.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
all barrel locks have now fallen out and as dealer not bailey approved so we are in discussion with bailey, who state
we will repair as a gesture of good will once I transfer the warranty as they are only covered for 2 years and is caused by wear and tear, they also state the MH registered 16th August 2012 !!!! and as this is only the 12th August surely STILL under warranty !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back