Engine - lack of power (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have just bought a new (very old) van.

For its age it is in great condition but when I picked it up today I was really disappointed with engine performance - no real power, had to work the gears hard to get it up to speed.

After about half an hours drive, thinking 'what can be wrong' I realised that the accelerator pedal did not have much 'travel'.

The previous owner had fitter a thin piece of carpet to 'protect' the original cab carpet.

Not only was this piece of carpet stopping the pedal going full down, the original carpet and sound deadening was as well.

Took out the carpets and deadening - full power - goes like a train.
  • (y)

Why did I think to check? ...............the same thing happened to me years ago

I can only think that at least a few previous owners must have been very disappointed in the van's performance

• :(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
take out all the over carpets, have the benefit of what might still be near brand new underneath

before you throw them make sure they have not covered up old stains though

When we bought our current MH the previous owners had been given a brand new set of carpets as the MH had been a demonstrator and they were quite worn, they left down the worn and we then got a brand new set of carpets, still in plastic wraps

They are now quite worn in fairness but they are to be used and will cost less than £100 to replace if we ever do, given all the other costs of ownership I don't mind changing them when needed

Have fun in it, now it goes at least, we will see you this coming week end in Sandy I see (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Cable maybe needs adjusting.
It was originally made with carpet and deadener and would have had full pedal travel then.

You are probably correct, pedal is quite a bit lower than brake or clutch
  • (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Bet the engine is as sweet as a nut now. Just think, all those years of refined running and only now is it getting full use :)

Just bit a little careful as an "elderly" engine can sometimes sprout the odd oil leak if they're "pushed" after such an easy life(y)

It must have felt fantastic to lift the carpet and ffffffffflyyyyyyyyyyy wheeeeeeeeee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back