LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
When I was in Misterton, I opened one of the overhead lockers and saw that there was a leak from the roof where the solar panels cable came into the van, I knew Terry was on site and I went to see him and he said that he would fix it but as he did not have any silkaflex with him, he would pop off home (30 miles) to get some, lucky for me another funster, the nice gentleman who did the bingo caller , I simply cant remember his name, sorry, had some stuff with him. Andy of the Andy and Shirley double act came forward with a set of ladders and faster than a ferret up Old Mo's trouser leg, Terry was up there, a fair bit of Tut Tutting and the conclusion that it had not been installed correctly in the 1st place. More Tutting and he said "Job Done", now I have no doubt that Young Terry has done a good job and even a Force 54 gale and several Navvies with steam hammers could not shift that.

So a big thanks to Terry, job done..

The sad part of this is that although I had paid to have the job done by a 'pro' it simply was not good enough.

The second reason for posting this was to say a big thanks, not only to the un-named funster and Terry, but for the all the support offered free and willingly by fellow Funsters, I can also hazard a guess if the Drunk Monk had been sober he would have done the same...along with possibly every other funster at Misterton.
It makes being part of the club and the people who belong to and will help a fellow human being, it gives you a sort of warm glow.

Shame that that had to be tested by shoddy workmanship in the 1st place...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't worry Dave if ever anyone gets up there to inspect it they will slag me off:) as it was not the neatest job in the world but with no masking tape and stuff it simply got loads of gunk squirted both in the hole in the roof and all over the capping that was not stuck down IE stuck with incorrect stuff that had simply let go,held in place by the wires --I would have thought who ever you paid to do the job would have filled the hole in where the wires went through the roof (y)then sealed the capping :)Alas that's what happens when you pay some so called professionals :eek: If they had sealed the wires going through the roof and the capping it would not have leaked ;)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I had the same problem with a Solar Cable fitting, leaking in to the top locker only found it when I turned the van round to load up and changed the level of the van roof, it took the dealer 3 times to get it right, the last time on the Friday before our trip to Spain on the Saturday. Pete

Ps I did charge them mileage for the fuel used on the trips to them .

Reactions: GJH

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As it was Shifty's van, it is a bit surprising it wasn't a leek on the roof...... ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds to me that Terry is a handy chap to have
sadly, it's often the case, far too many cowboys out there and not enough companies like Vanbitz .

you want a job done well, do it yourself.

Well done Terry

Jim, if I did any job myself it would not be done well.

A report once said of me at school " Chris knows what he wants and is able to describe in intricate detail the desired out o
A
Mind you other funsters have had similar problems from the same source, lessons learnt,,

What source Shiftzz?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I had the same thing! Job done by the same person!

The cables from two panels routed through a single gland!!!

A definite no no! Most unprofessional!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh, so now it is a Burstner versus Rapido Peeing contest, is it?

Pilote wins every time......;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I appreciate not everyone is handy at DIY Chris, . and feel sorry for the ones who fall prey to the cowboy..

that is the value of being a member of this forum.. lost of advice and reports about dealers and tradespeople..

Also, you can give advice on legal matters , while others who have little legal knowledge can advise on motorhome problems.

Been on here for 7 years, and am still amazed by the depth and breadth of knowledge found on this forum.. and the way it is freely shared..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Only because Pilot(e)s are starting from higher in the first place :LOL:
Of course, we have to agree with that......... Lying about payload excepted (but Pilote probably learnt that from Rapido anyway ;))

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds to me that Terry is a handy chap to have

A report once said of me at school " Chris knows what he wants and is able to describe in intricate detail the desired out o
A

What source Shiftzz?

Sorry my quotes went wrong with this post.

I should have said my report went on to say - " ...what the desired outcome should be, but does not have the practical ability to achieve that outcome"

I think it was my design and technology teacher who said that..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is this mysterious cowboy going to turn into the Lone Ranger or will he be ousted. Am at a funny age now and do not want to be clambering about on my motorhome roof. If in the future I require work done up there and Terry is not available, I would like to know who I would need to avoid. Am sure am not alone in these thoughts. Am a believer in giving praise when its due, but if someone is doing dodgy work that can lead to the biggest killer of motorhomes ie, DAMP. Then I would imagine most other funsters would wish to know so as to avoid them. I think you owe it to your public Dave.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We are not allowed to name those who do a bad job Dave. I have have had a warning for naming and shaming a company for crap job.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We are not allowed to name those who do a bad job Dave. I have have had a warning for naming and shaming a company for crap job.

That seems a bit odd. If we are encouraged to write reports of dealers and traders that do a good job but not one that could in effect do thousands of pounds worth of damage to our pride and joy I do think at the very least its a bit one sided. If any cowboy fitter drilled holes in the roof of my motorhome and left it leaking water in, believe me I would be shouting his name from the rooftops, and be damned to the consequences.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave not my place to name and shame because he is a funster --The job done was good BUT they used the wrong sealant to stick plastic capping to the roof-:eek:I have been saying for yrs that some Sikaflex does not stick to plastic but I usually get poo pooed and told it's stuck mine on and it's been there for x yrs --a bit like telling people that high modulus silicon will not stick to plastic windows yet low mod does -more a case of they either chose the wrong stuff or did not know any better or just used wrong stuff because they did not have anything else ?The only thing was they should have filled the hole full of sealant-sort of belt and braces (y):DThey have been doing the job a lot of yrs and you would think they would know what to use by now :) The capping simply lifted off the sealant -no prizing or anything- in fact if the solar wires had not gone through it ,it would have blown off the roof -When I next run into Shifftz I will go up there and tidy it all up because I told him it's not pretty but will not leak :D Don't want anyone saying look at that,:eek: what a mess, about me :D:D
terry
edit taken me above an hour to write this but I have been on the phone in between

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I love these who done it threads.......
Bit like bill the drills murder mystery meet

Terry, you ain't getting up on my roof unless your installing lazer lights for me..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back