Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can anyone help? We have arrived in Sicily and have had a nightmare journey from the port to Naxos. I went on non toll roads and ended up going thru every village the Italians could possibly jamb into such a short drive. 2 hours to drive 50k. Can anyone advise me if there is anything to see here that justifies the hardship?
We like to see historical stuff like the roman ruins (although after being in Rome and Pompeii we are just about. Ruined out). We liked going around pompeii village, to see the volcano, and took a bus tour around the Malfie coast.
Before you tell me "depends what you want to see" I would like people to suggest things like when in Rome you have to see the colosseum , roman forum, fountain, Vatican, and sistene Chapel.
Normally we wild camp everywhere but this looks a lot harder to do here? We also tend to meander around and pick up sights as we go along, but I might have to put a bit more planning into this country.
Please just suggest places that you have visited and liked and must see things.
After this we are planning on going to Greece then head north up thru the Baltic Countries so you can include these in as well if you want.
Looking forward to your replies.
Colin

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
What is there to see? Only the best classical remains in Europe! And to taste - the best food in Italy!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Buy a guide book. The Rough Guides are very readable. You can get eBook versions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
No help for your question but - you're doing a route I'm intending to do so look forward to hearing about this trip!
Italy , Greece and the baltics - awesome!

captain

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700
Exp
since 2005
There is a town called Vigata that is featured on Montabano looks to be stunning, the views from the top of the town look amazing!

Get a photo in front of his fictional house with the m/home!

Captain

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a town called Vigata that is featured on Montabano looks to be stunning, the views from the top of the town look amazing!

Captain

That's a good idea, I am sure there is a "Montalbano Trail" you can follow! His house in the program is not in Vigata but here; http://www.discoveringsicily.com/la_casa_di_montalbano.php?indice=28&language=en
It's a B&B these days and checking the website they do indeed offer a tour!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If you wake to find a sheep's head has been left, impaled on your wing mirror, buy a shotgun. (the preferred weapon in those parts, I hear). (y);)

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Captain
Caught me on the hop for this as we not up to speed with TV shows in UK. But it looks stunning and I will try and get there. Hope not too many cars around for the MH to manoeuvre. I think we have picked the wrong time of year to get here. Maybe a month or two earlier would have been better for touring and less crowds.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had a member "patric" ( spelling ?? ) who did a good write up a few years ago. So try a search of ETNA with a funster of approximately that name.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a member "patric" ( spelling ?? ) who did a good write up a few years ago. So try a search of ETNA with a funster of approximately that name.
Will try and look up. Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back