Free Member
Jan 17, 2014
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking to buy
Exp
since 2011
hi all, just a quick one , whist in storage { outside } the vehicle battery tends to drain after a period of time , like most cars I suppose, al im after is a portable solar panel to keep it topped up so it starts when I come to use it, anyone recommend one please , and what size would I need, my vehicle is a 2009 autotrail 700se 3.ol , thanks

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I have one of these for sale.... Broken Link Removed
It's yours for £30.
It worked very well for me, spreads out across the dashboard.
PM me if you want it.
I'm in Manchester.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have one of these for sale.... Broken Link Removed
It's yours for £30.
It worked very well for me, spreads out across the dashboard.
PM me if you want it.
I'm in Manchester.
So if that is 13 watts does that mean it will fill a 90w leisure battery in 7 hours?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
hi all, just a quick one , whist in storage { outside } the vehicle battery tends to drain after a period of time , like most cars I suppose, al im after is a portable solar panel to keep it topped up so it starts when I come to use it, anyone recommend one please , and what size would I need, my vehicle is a 2009 autotrail 700se 3.ol , thanks

Don't go for more than about 15W, or you'll need a regulator to avoid over-charging. Alternatively, if you have proper solar for your hab battery, you can get a device that trickles the engine battery from the hab one. An even cheaper solution (which I sometimes use) is a simple fused lead with croc clips both ends that I merge the hab and engine batteries together so both get the solar. More typically, though, I isolate the engine battery. It easily lasts over winter with no drain on it.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So if that is 13 watts does that mean it will fill a 90w leisure battery in 7 hours?

Only in direct sunlight somewhat nearer the equator. Of course, a 90WHr battery is actually a 7.5AHr battery, which is a size more usual for battery backup in alarm systems. A 110AHr leisure battery (i.e. 1.32KWHr) would take about 100 hours of direct sunlight. In reality that would be about 3 weeks in a UK summer.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Over winter even an 80W solar panel only has about half an amp (if you are lucky) output because the sun is so low in the sky so around 6W effective power. It all depends what devices you have draining your battery, alarm and radio on standby will eat a fair bit. Other than that the amount of self discharge will depend on the age/condition of the battery. Never had a problem with mine. Regular checks to make sure your battery is not overcharging and gassing is a good idea whatever system you fit.

Tessntim

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato
Exp
My sister just bought a fiatDucati granduca it has a solar panel on roof but she can't find the inside battery all lights ect work does any one know Whare it is looked bit can't see it would it mean the cab battery is running the 12v ? We baffled

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
gave mine 2 my brother 2 keep his vehicle charged whilst away in greece, going away present

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back