Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
I am in the process of fitting a solar panel to our 2011 Kon Tiki but have hit a problem on the roof!

Everything was going well until I put the Solar Panel in place, the leads from the solar panel are too short to reach the access panel for the connectors.

The only way I can see this being fixed is to use weather proof cable connectors on each lead and add an 8" extension.

...unless anyone has any better ideas?

Photo attached.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• Kon Tiki Roof.jpg
    Kon Tiki Roof.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 106

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a pair of MC4 extension leads will do the job and they are IP64 rated (fully water proof) and plug straight in.

If they are too long any excess can be LOOSELY coiled and secured under the panel.

DO NOT tightly coil an electrical cable...it will overheat.

But Techno's advice is sound as its one less joint to cause trouble

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Replace the leads with custom length ones from the jb on the panel

............... or if easier extend the ones sticking out of the roof. If they are accessible in a locker it might be the easier option. If you are unreasonably lucky there might even be some slack on the inside ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Tramperinatruck

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm thinking of fitting a solar panel to the roof of our Autotrail Chieftain. I haven't been on the roof yet but looking at your photo, it appears that the socket with the two connectors was factory fitted, is that so?
Also, how are panels secured to the roof, is it a combination of double-sided tape and self-tappers?
Cheers,
Daz

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am in the process of fitting a solar panel to our 2011 Kon Tiki but have hit a problem on the roof!

Everything was going well until I put the Solar Panel in place, the leads from the solar panel are too short to reach the access panel for the connectors.

The only way I can see this being fixed is to use weather proof cable connectors on each lead and add an 8" extension.

...unless anyone has any better ideas?

Photo attached.

Cheers
Steve

I never bothered with those expensive solar connectors. I just ran thick cable direct from the panel to the solar controller with no joins or connectors at all. Now that is a better IP rating than any waterproof connector!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm thinking of fitting a solar panel to the roof of our Autotrail Chieftain. I haven't been on the roof yet but looking at your photo, it appears that the socket with the two connectors was factory fitted, is that so?
Also, how are panels secured to the roof, is it a combination of double-sided tape and self-tappers?
Cheers,
Daz

The panel fixings are simply 'glued" down with Sikaflex adhesive sealer.

You could also use stainless screws but once the sikaflex has cured it, and anything secured with it, is practically impossible to remove.

A cheesewire is often the only way to get something unstuck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back