Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
We are thinking of going down to Portugal for the winter in our Motorhome and wondered of anyone had done this before and any good sites known. We don't mind wild camping for a few nights but want a decent pitch we can stay at for several weeks. Thinking of around Faro unless anyone has any other ideas?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There's a contributor called JJ, who sometimes posts on these hallowed pages. A very quite and non-contentious chap, who grows orchids in his old Wellington's. I'm sure he could give you loads of advice, however, he is a tad shy.........

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
And there was me thinking I would get sensible answers! Having met some of you recently at the Dorset rally I should have known better. Ah well back to the proverbial drawing board. Or I could just winter in the Isle of Wight?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Obviously no sensible funsters on at the moment but be patient, there's usually some gold amongst the dross if you look hard enough or wait long enough. :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
wondered of anyone had done this before and any good sites known. We don't mind wild camping for a few nights but want a decent pitch we can stay at for several weeks. Thinking of around Faro unless anyone has any other ideas?

I have never been But get ready to join the vast queue of motorhomers and Funsters who do go down there....
ps.. All the stuff you read about JJ is TRUE....

If you wait, the info will come... OR. forget Portugal and get in line for MOROCCO 2015..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Obviously no sensible funsters on at the moment but be patient, there's usually some gold amongst the dross if you look hard enough or wait long enough. :)

Cheeky Git Boat Owner........;);)

JJ is probably the most appropriate. Send him a PM under 'conversations' in your profile box. (y)(y)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Each to their own but we spent much of last winter in the Algarve and will certainly return this winter, we find the Portuguese people just so friendly.

There are lots and lots of places to park up from wild camping to camp sites and aires many with all the services.

Expect many places to be very busy if it is anything like last year

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Don't tell them all Alan there won't be room left for us.

happycampers1 click on the link in my signature for aires and the like in Portugal.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We are thinking of going down to Portugal for the winter in our Motorhome and wondered of anyone had done this before and any good sites known. We don't mind wild camping for a few nights but want a decent pitch we can stay at for several weeks. Thinking of around Faro unless anyone has any other ideas?

We have stayed at a few places, and normally end up here = http://www.campingalbufeira.net/

For a few weeks,,,, nice site.. park any where, not regimental.. site shop stocks basic`s, daily papers just up from the office... bar/restaurant seemed to open when the guy felt like opening, Toilet`s & Showers bit dated. (But Clean and plenty of hot water).. pretty central for the Algarve.. some big shops near by.. (Driving Distance).. nice beaches and scenery not to far away...

Cannot remember, but reasonable winter charges.. (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
You will be hard pushed to find better than http://motorhomefriends.com/

I'm sure there will be more posts on this place as quite a number of members have stayed at Pedro's.

We are on our 3 years wintering over in Portugal, great place to spend winter.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You should check out Pedros's place near Albufeira... unless all the pitches have already been booked by the Funsters who were there last year and had such a good time. He has room for about 25 vans I think.

I am a rufty tufty, full time, freeloading, off site motorhomer would would never have acquired my millions had I wasted money on campsite fees.

As there is a slight possibility the King of the Algarve (HRH Smudger) might visit this autumn/winter along with his Butler (Snowbird) and given that each of their outfits are about 150 metres long, I expect we might be parked up in Praia da Rocha, Portimao some of the time. (€2.50 per night at right by a marina and beach).

JJ

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You should check out Pedros's place near Albufeira... unless all the pitches have already been booked by the Funsters who were there last year and had such a good time. He has room for about 25 vans I think.

I am a rufty tufty, full time, freeloading, off site motorhomer would would never have acquired my millions had I wasted money on campsite fees.

As there is a slight possibility the King of the Algarve (HRH Smudger) might visit this autumn/winter along with his Butler (Snowbird) and given that each of their outfits are about 150 metres long, I expect we might be parked up in Praia da Rocha, Portimao some of the time. (€2.50 per night at right by a marina and beach).

JJ
We have booked in there for Christmas onwards !!!!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
for wild camping try sagres nothing better than there also plenty of aires portimao,lagos,prair de roche if you listen to jj be prepared to really rough it the tight git wont pay for nowt :whistle:

Reactions: JJ

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
portugal as loads of campsites and free places to stay . why anyone goes to spain is beyond me .
the algarve rules in winter .

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We tried Portugal this year, for 2 Month's, we booked the C & CC Rally at Camping Albufera good rally but the camp was poor no pitch services , rubbish weather as Portugal is on the Atlantic coast plenty of rain but some good days, overall we wont be going again, back to sunny Spain to try some different camps next year. Pete

Ps Each to his own others love it

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
like you say pete portugal can be a bad on the weather side but when we went there in February last year the weather was better than spain so like everywhere it is hit or miss but i still think the aires and the wild camping is better than spain

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Portugal "bad on the weather side"...

Uk Funsters worried about the bad weather in Portugal!

Now I am laughing... :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back