Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
i am going up to bonny Scotland for a couple of weeks in October and somewhere called shieldaig has been recommended as MH friendly ! can anyone expand on this for me ? also any other suggestions would be most welcome. :thumb:

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
Stunning scenic area, well worth a visit if the weather is good!!

There's a cc site at Kinlochewe. Quite a comfortable site in a quiet location. Make sure you stock up before you arrive. If you like walking this site will be paradise. From the site exit turn left, walk about 20 metres or so, turn left again and nothing but hills, heather and fresh fresh air.

Further south there's also a good site at Morvich. Again a stunning area for hill walking.

The further north you travel whilst on the west coast the more dramatic the scenery becomes as you approach the north west corner.

We spent about a month in the area not so long ago and found the people to be welcoming and friendly.

I believe that in Scots Law wild parking is not an issue.

Hope the sun shines for you, west coast sunsets and beaches can outshine the best the Caribbean has to offer - if it's not raining.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
i am going up to bonny Scotland for a couple of weeks in October and somewhere called shieldaig has been recommended as MH friendly ! can anyone expand on this for me ? also any other suggestions would be most welcome. :thumb:
Depends on the size of your MH.
This is a beautiful area (as can be seen by photos from the link given by xgx) and a visit to Applecross via the coast road should not be missed. This is a narrow B road and in places steep and winding.

Another spot you should go out of your way to see is Lochcarron, and by far the best 'spot' to view this sea loch is by heading out of Lochcarron on the A896 to Strathcarron then the A890 to Stromeferry. Just after Ardnarff the road climbs up high above the loch and there is a sizeable parking viewpoint. The scenery and views from this viewpoint is simply breathtaking and i have parked here overnight a few times. Its a regular stopping point for coach tours but after 7-8pm during summer you won't be disturbed. At the time you are going i'd be surprised if more than half a dozen cars pass by, yet this is a main A road.

If you decide to wildcamp here overnight nobody will bother you as long as you apply the usual common sense rules....keep it quiet, keep it clean, and take your rubbish home with you.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Hi Steve

One of my favorite places. A small site with water only, & asks for a donation via a honesty box if you stay. There is a public toilet, but no dump, and the greatest of views from the campsite over Loch Sheieldaig. :thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
its worth having a look at overnight area at shieldaig you just walk down hill to village and the site is ontop of hill over looking loch.
but it as some rough areas with the odd caravan parked .:thumb:

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Another spot you should go out of your way to see is Lochcarron, and by far the best 'spot' to view this sea loch is by heading out of Lochcarron on the A896 to Strathcarron then the A890 to Stromeferry. Just after Ardnarff the road climbs up high above the loch and there is a sizeable parking viewpoint. The scenery and views from this viewpoint is simply breathtaking and i have parked here overnight a few times. Its a regular stopping point for coach tours but after 7-8pm during summer you won't be disturbed. At the time you are going i'd be surprised if more than half a dozen cars pass by, yet this is a main A road.

If you decide to wildcamp here overnight nobody will bother you as long as you apply the usual common sense rules....keep it quiet, keep it clean, and take your rubbish home with you.

Would this be the viewpoint to which you are referring?
In which case I agree with you completely!

JulyJaunt19.jpg

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Yes thats exactly the spot.....and i'd say the identical photo to what i took!!

I reckon if you could put any kind of a property here, you would be paying in the millions. The views are breathtaking......and all from a car park. In a mh or caravan, this is what you wake up to!
4dla8.jpg

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
HOOTS MON!

This is what we wake up to every day up here in bonny Scotland

ahhhhhllllllaaaaaappppppaaaaaaaaaaa:thumb:
Some people 'slick'......just some of the very fortunate few.

I don't think you'd get quite the same view from some tenement block in the back streets of Glasgow!

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
whats the weather like up there at moment and are the midges out in October .we are thinking off coming up then :RollEyes:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
whats the weather like up there at moment and are the midges out in October .we are thinking off coming up then :RollEyes:
You wont get midge problems in October. They prefer the summer months when there are more tourists around to eat!

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Scotland in October

Me and Adel are heading up the west coast and have just seen the post about shieldaig, this place we have to visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That carpark you guys were chatting about what do you think would be the biggest Mh you could get turned round on there then?

Patrick

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
That carpark you guys were chatting about what do you think would be the biggest Mh you could get turned round on there?
Large tour coaches pull on there as it's a well known viewing point. Each time i've stopped there overnight has been during summer period months and though the road which runs past it is a main road, after 6pm you can hear a pin drop.

You won't have any problem with a 30+ft mh on that carpark......but smaller m/h's are much more well suited to touring the west cost areas as there are many tiny narrow B roads with some amazing scenery along the way.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
lochcarron

just looking at a map regarding the two photos of the stunning view, you say take the A896 out of lochcarron, so would that view be the length of loch kishorn ? :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
just looking at a map regarding the two photos of the stunning view, you say take the A896 out of lochcarron, so would that view be the length of loch kishorn ? :thumb:

Is this is the one you mean?

This is looking North up Loch Carron, looking twards the village of Lochcarron. In other words heading North, before you get to the village

Attachments

• JulyJaunt19.jpg
    JulyJaunt19.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 23

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Is this is the one you mean?
Steve & Keith

Its simple enough to locate.

A890 Stromeferry to Strathcarron road and the carpark is sited on the left if travelling NE....or on your right travelling SW.

Anyone using it to wildcamp overnight on needs to treat it with the utmost respect. Never stay more than one night and keep it quiet, keep it clean.....otherwise the potty lot will move in with the banning notices and that will be the end of it. I'd like to think the spot remains freely open in years to come and doesn't get spoiled by the odd one or two loonies.

Here is a photo taken with the edge of the carpark in view (apologies for the exposure). This overlooks the Loch

2qx2cds.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back