hairline crack in shower tray (1 Viewer)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
have just found a hairline crack in the shower tray just in front of the toilet
was thinking of using a creeping crack fluid, then heating the plastic to smooth it off.

Will creeping crack work in shower area ??
anyone done this type repair before ??
any advice would be welcomed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Dont think creeping crack cure will last although its a good idea, you really need to reinforce underneath the tray

Peter

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Peter is correct the crack has happened because there is not enough support under that part of the tray, you need to fill the void ( however small ) with some form of expanding foam then seal it off. there are products on the market but they keep changing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You need to find someone like this who uses speedcoat and repairs the support also

Link Removed

ask here

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Cracked Shower Tray

We had a similar problem with our Adria Coral 670SL around the drain plug, ie the weakest mould point on the curve to waste outlet. The van was 6 months OUT OF a three year warranty! I took our van to a designated supplier/dealer for Speedcoat application. To their credit they phoned to say because the pipe work ie waste and water - hot and cold to bathroom sink and shower was actually bonded to the underside of the shower tray they were not happy to proceed. It would make the removal of pipe work impossible if work was needed on any of the pipe work at a later date. This is due to the filling of foam pumped into the underside (through drill holes) of the tray which sets hard to support the shower tray. I must say Adria were excellent. I wrote to the UK director a letter detailing the problem. After so many horror stories of vans in warranty on this site having their warranty work NOT fixed, I was amazed when Premier Motorhomes phoned to tell me the MD of Adria had phoned up telling them to replace the shower tray as a goodwill gesture. Well over a £1,000 of work!!! Result! Good luck with your repair. I think Speedcoat is an excellent solution to the problem and hope it is suitable for your van. :thumb:

Last edited:

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
You need to find someone like this who uses speedcoat and repairs the support also

Link Removed

ask here

Broken Link Removed

Had that done on our Hymer...brilliant job, definitely recommend.

Keith

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
not sure about the expanding foam if you over do it and it gets near the waste it will dislodge it when you say its the front near the toilet is this inside the tray or the skirt part of the tray maybe a pic would help

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
shower trays

::bigsmile:This site is not only the BEST and SUPERB but also Psychic............:Eeek:
have literally 15mins ago found a crack in our shower tray .

Thanks to all for the information.:thumb:

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for info so far have had a closer look and it looks like impact damage but nobody admitting to dropping anything
Will try and take photo and post it in the next day or so
The crack is on the top edge of the shower tray floor just before you reach the toilet, you do not stand on it to shower or use the loo but it is right where you stand if trying to get anything out of the looker on the rear wall.
Thinking about opening up the crack slightly and squeezing in some white sealant such as siloflex then smoothing it.

Plumberman

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
West Midlands.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm Learning
Looked at a 2007 and a 2008 elddis autoquest both has badly cracked shower trays
Asked if they would be replaced but they said no they would be repaired.
After water has leaked into motorhome woodwork is this adequate ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Looked at a 2007 and a 2008 elddis autoquest both has badly cracked shower trays
Asked if they would be replaced but they said no they would be repaired.
After water has leaked into motorhome woodwork is this adequate ?
it would depend on how long its been cracked and how much water has got in through the cracks. often you find that the entire floor was covered with vinyl before the furniture and fittings were installed. this helps protect the plywood.

generally the issue is that the tray was simply placed on top of the flooring with no support around the curves and sides. this leads to stress cracks. even when coated with bed liner, the cracks then move when you stand in the tray. that's why its recommended that expanding foam is used to fill the voids before coating. it will also react with any moisture present and dry it out (if there's not too much)

if a leak has been left untreated over a matter of just a few showers, the ply under the tray can then soak up the water and rot quickly sets in. repairing this in a coachbuilt motorhome is a very big and messy job. the entire bathroom often needs removing to access the rotten wood

the best advice is fix any crack immediately after you find it, even if temporarily with duct tape

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back