engine problems (1 Viewer)

F

Frosties

Deleted User
I am looking for my first motorhome but am concerned about the problems people are experiencing with the fiat ducato engines (Juddering,poor service, etc.). does anyone know if these problems are just associated with a certain year, or are the pre-2005 models o.k:helptitanic:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I am looking for my first motorhome but am concerned about the problems people are experiencing with the fiat ducato engines (Juddering,poor service, etc.). does anyone know if these problems are just associated with a certain year, or are the pre-2005 models o.k:helptitanic:

Hi Frosties and Welcome to the Site.

I have not had any dealings with these motors but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who has.:thumb:

Good luck in your Quest.

Steve.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi and welcome.

The problems relating to the juddering are on teh new sevel chassis. Fiat service do have there problems and in fairness probably slightly more than other dealerships.

The Fiat though IMO is a good strong van.Mine is an 03 and has not really given me too many problems. All mechanical things can break down, whatever they are. However FIAT offfer good value for money in terms of coachbuilders hence why so many MHs are built on the chassis. But please also accept the peaugot and citroen are the same as the fiat, with even the new Ford having the euro engine out the same stable. Fiat are tagged on previous performance from years gone by, but look how many now drive skodas? Times have moved on. If you get a well looked after fiat then it will give you no more trouble than most other vans on the market.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
i have a 04 plate Fiat 2.8jtd and have done 20,000 miles since I bought it and I've had it serviced twice, but not by FIAT. It has a crunchy second gear, which it had when I bought it, but is no problem if driven correctly. I had a Temp. Sensor fail on the engine but the FIAT agent in Roquettas De Mar fixed that for the princely sum of 138 euros, no other problems (touch wood):thumb:. It's very good to drive and fairly economical and I for one would not hesitate to buy another FIAT based MH.:Smile:
Pete

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Frosties,

I have a Bessacarr based on the new Fiat X2/50 chassis and love it.

It did have the water problem but has now had the mods done as I believe all the new ones have.

Don't seem to have the reversing problem.

It drives like a car up hill and down dale and returns about 27 mpg.

If I was in the market for a new MH I would certainly go for another Fiat based jobbie.:thumb:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Fiat

I have had a 2.8JTD for nearly 5 years 20000 mls and am changing to the Peugeot 2.2 X250 soon. I have yet to own a motorhome (or caravan) that does`nt have teething problems whether it be the base or caravan side. the first FIAT 2.8TD had no problems, the second 2.8JTD had to have drive shafts changed - wrong type fitted not actually failure, drive shaft oil seal failed - all done on warranty, A/C has played up on a couple of occasions otherwise its been fine. My Peugeot 307 - 6 years old, 30000mls has cost about £1600! in repairs. I`ve travelled a fair few miles in the UK and Europe and I have`nt seen the roads littered with broken down Motorhomes. The Forums are full of horror stories and you can undoubtedly be unlucky. If you see something you like check it over thoroughly before parting with money, insist on a demonstration of equipment, don`t trust the dealer one inch, insist on a long test drive uphill, down dale (including reverse!) don`t rely on the PDI and buy from a dealer near you, in case you have to return for repairs more than once.
Its a great hobby though and you get used to the niggles.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have a 2005 Autotrail Apache built on a 2.8 Fiat Ducato. And I have no problems with the vehicle at all, the only complaint was the rear suspension not being up to the loaded weight of the motorhome. But air suspension has sorted this.

Andy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Frosties,

I have a Bessacarr based on the new Fiat X2/50 chassis and love it.

It did have the water problem but has now had the mods done as I believe all the new ones have.

Don't seem to have the reversing problem.

It drives like a car up hill and down dale and returns about 27 mpg.

If I was in the market for a new MH I would certainly go for another Fiat based jobbie.:thumb:

"D" you alomost sound sad about not having it!!! try and find someone with the problem abd do a swop:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
our old fiat ducato highwayman was registered in 1988 and it ran superbly.

same it got trashed.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What ever you buy, just make sure your dealer has a good after sales service and that your saleman looks after you, most dont! Ours DO!

Good luck

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we've had 3 fiat based 'homes....2004 2ltr JTD.....1999 2.5 TD and our present 'home is a 2001 2.8 TDI and have never had a bit of trouble from any of them except the current one and that was nothing more than a poor electrical connection on the fuel tank sender causing erratic fuel readings. (15 minute fix)
the only time i'v had a judder is when i select too high a gear to set off, usually through forgetting to change to first at lights ect or selecting third through sheer stupidity/lack of concentration.

john

josielynne

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Funster No
What ever you buy, just make sure your dealer has a good after sales service and that your saleman looks after you, most dont! Ours DO!

Good luck

Peter

then dont go to discover coppul chorley ,,,,,,new burstner argos door mechanism broke ,,,notified them 5 th july ,still not taken care off ,sell seemes to be all that they care about ,,had to use cabin door on holiday in france ,,,,disgusted with them even spoke to service manager (lies lies lies ) went into discover near pickering when was at show they fixed my door temporarily and they ordered the whole door mechanism said they would phone me when it came in ,,,,,nice people from yorkshire very helpfull

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back