Free Member
Mar 22, 2014
Hyde
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700SE
Exp
Hi Guys,
New to the forums so, sorry if this has been asked somewhere else.

I'm thinking of full timing fairly soon and I am concerned about the European rules for fitting winter tyres at the appropriate time.

If you have them fitted, what do you do with them come Summer? I'm assuming they need to be removed and Summer tyres fitted and I guess they won't buy back the Winter units with just a few hundred miles on them.

Any information would be most appreciated.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to MHF!

We leave our winter tyres on all year round. They help on muddy fields too!:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi .. and welcome

There are tyre dealers that operate a 'tyre hotel' , try Googling.

They store your winter/summer tyres .. and change when required..

Kwick fit have this service
We will store them for a maximum of 6 months from the date of purchase. We will contact you to arrange the ‘swap’ back the following season. Kwik Fit reserves the right to responsibly dispose of any unclaimed tyres left in the hotel after 6 months.

Do I need to change over my tyres when it’s above 7°C?

We recommend that come March when it should be averaging nearer 7 degrees in the morning, you change back to summer tyres. We will contact you to arrange the “swap” back the following season.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
After needing towed off 3 times in 4 days a year past last November in wettest Wales, I bought Toyo winter tyres, technically M&S,( mud and snow). I did intend swapping them back when it warmed up but haven‘t bothered. I can‘t say I‘ve noticed any excessive wear, the ride is not as hard as the Vango campers I had on previously, but be aware that you do feel some “movement” during steering inputs due to the blocky tread pattern. We haven‘t been anywhere “hot” on this set of rubbers yet but will be heading south later this year and will see how they cope then.
ps. haven‘t needed towed off any sites since we fitted them.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We leave them on all year round. Not noticed any difference and wear not an issue as they need to be changed every 5 or 6 years anyway.

Continental vanco winter 2 tyres are brilliant but expensive.

Toyo H09 also cracking winters along with Vredstein comtrac and Bridgestone Blizzak.

Paul.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After needing towed off 3 times in 4 days a year past last November in wettest Wales,[HI] I bought Toyo winter tyres, technically M&S,( mud and snow)[/HI]. I did intend swapping them back when it warmed up but haven‘t bothered. I can‘t say I‘ve noticed any excessive wear, the ride is not as hard as the Vango campers I had on previously, but be aware that you do feel some “movement” during steering inputs due to the blocky tread pattern. We haven‘t been anywhere “hot” on this set of rubbers yet but will be heading south later this year and will see how they cope then.
ps. haven‘t needed towed off any sites since we fitted them.

Two different types of tyre..

Winter tyres are NOT the same as M&S

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Winter tyres are a softer compound so as to grip better at lower temperatures but have a normal tread pattern for water dispersal,

this is a winter tyre

continental-winter-tyre-440.jpg

Snow tyres also have of a softer compound but have a specific tread pattern,that is biased towards gripping in loose or slippery conditions but are often not so good at dispersing standing water at speed.

this is an M&S tyre

Broken Link Removed

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good pointe Jim.

The Continental vanco winter 2 tyres are classed as everythjing, mud and snow, winters, snowflake symbol, I was half expecting there to be a mark on them saying ''suitable for crossing the sea''

Now that would have saved a few quid on the ferry.:roflmto:

Paul.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good pointe Jim.

The Continental vanco winter 2 tyres are classed as everythjing, mud and snow, winters, snowflake symbol, I was half expecting there to be a mark on them saying ''suitable for crossing the sea''

Now that would have saved a few quid on the ferry.:roflmto:

Paul.

This is what you have..
Product description
The VancoWinter 2 is a high-traction tyre designed for safe transport of goods and people through the winter. It boasts optimised braking effect on snow and ice, car-orientated handling on snow, cost-effectiveness even in winter, excellent protection against aquaplaning and safe wet handling and a robust construction.

To the casual eye they eye look like 'normal' tyres.. and no reason why they can't be used all year.. except due to the soft compound they will wear out faster than summer tyres which have a harder compound.. but most people never wear them out as they only do 5k miles a year and the tyres usually need replacing due to age.. not wear.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Now I‘m confused :Sad: Toyo‘s website describes the Toyo H 09 as “ a new generation winter tyre, that can overcome even deep snow covered roads ”
They don‘t have a mountain or snowflake symbol on them, just M&S, so can I use them in areas that require ‘winter tyres’ or not ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Now I‘m confused :Sad: Toyo‘s website describes the Toyo H 09 as “ a new generation winter tyre, that can overcome even deep snow covered roads ”
They don‘t have a mountain or snowflake symbol on them, just M&S, so can I use them in areas that require ‘winter tyres’ or not ?

It is indeed described as a winter tyre..:

Category : Light truck winter

789.jpg

so yes is the answer..

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Is it correct though Jim.

I thought such as parts of Germany during the winter months you had to have tyres with the snowflake symbol on.

Paul.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is it correct though Jim.

I thought such as parts of Germany during the winter months you had to have tyres with the snowflake symbol on.

Paul.

You may well be correct..

The AA has this advice .. no mention of Snowflake.

more info here http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

Winter tyres in Germany

The rules in Germany changed at the end of 2010 - regulations now require all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintery.

If your vehicle becomes stuck during the winter months because the tyres are unsuitable you will be liable to an on the spot fine in Germany. If the vehicle causes an obstruction and aggravation to other traffic, the fine may be doubled. You may also be prevented from continuing your journey.

EDIT

update
4) - Germany introduced regulations in 2010 requiring all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintry. Winter tyres (or 'all season' tyres) [HI]should bear the mark M+S* or the snowflake symbol[/HI] on the side wall.

Last edited:

Stevewin999

Free Member
Feb 9, 2014
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Mirada RV
Exp
Eden Park Services ltd

I have just opened an extension of my Car and Van Hire set up to include supplying Tyres, servicing etc. I intend to look at the supply of such tyres for my fellow members and also the Tyre Hotel in our secure storage building.
Please feel free to Pm me with your preferred sizes and makes and I will see if we can get some great deals for you all.
Stevewin999:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Jeeez, the risks I take...

Never ever had winter tyres ever.

Was never aware there were such things until joining this forum... just the same with habitation checks!

I did know about snow chains...

... and rear wheel drive.

JJ :cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jeeez, the risks I take...

Never ever had winter tyres ever.

Was never aware there were such things until joining this forum... just the same with habitation checks!

I did know about snow chains...

... and rear wheel drive.

yup.. and eating FB pies, .. you certainly live life on the edge JJ

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Surely habitation checks are essential?
To check safety things like gas and boilers and damp ingress?
Much like servicing gas heaters in houses?

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
On continental tyres web site it says:

"If you are reluctant to change tyres and have nowhere to store summer tyres when they are not in use, you are better off using winter tyres all year round.

Winter tyres are as quiet and comfortable as summer tyres and, thanks to sophisticated compound technology, do not wear any more quickly.

There is a slight trade off with stopping distances as a winter tyre does not stop as quickly in the dry as a summer tyre, however, on balance if it is not possible to switch tyres in the winter, experts say you are better off with winter tyres all year round. This is because the difference in stopping distances of summer tyres in winter is far greater than for winter tyres in the summer."

Broken Link Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Surely habitation checks are essential?
To check safety things like gas and boilers and damp ingress?
Much like servicing gas heaters in houses?

For lots of people they must be...

I am one of those who leaves things well alone if they are working normally.

A system can be fine at the time of a check but "break" hours later.

But please NEVER do things that I do...

My nose can smell a lpg leak at a hundred yards away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back