Copied from Pembrey Country Park thread (1 Viewer)

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Sorry, this doesn't make sense for me being as I travel alone. Pembrey Country Park is a fantastic place and although £15 a night may be a fair price for a couple, for myself travelling alone it will be considerably cheaper to stay on the Caravan Club site by the entrance to the park. EHU will also be included there - not that I have any requirement for electricity..

So sorry, but you can count me out of this one ...unless I find a travelling companion by September :winky:

Perhaps Motorhome Fun would like to revise their idea of meets for solo travellers so us singles can team together over issues like this. Either that or at least consider a fresh policy for inclusivity. It's not much fun feeling excluded by being priced out and I am feeling uncomfortable about standing alone over this matter again. :wub:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The site rally fees are not set by Chris and out of his hands. Rally fields almost always set a price based upon a per van price.

Perhaps Motorhome Fun would like to revise their idea of meets for solo travellers so us singles can team together over issues like this. Either that or at least consider a fresh policy for inclusivity. It's not much fun feeling excluded by being priced out and I am feeling uncomfortable about standing alone over this matter again. :wub:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
simply

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
I expressed an interest in the Pembrey meet when the suggestion was first posted - I even commented that I would like to spend a week there. When the meet details were posted and uptake was slack I felt an explanation would be appreciated, hence I explained my reasoning. I have no intention of staying at the Caravan Club site but citied the fact that even there with all their facilities and electric hook up it was cheaper for somebody travelling solo.
Just because I spoke up doesn't mean I am the only person that dismisses a meet due to cost. £15 per night for a couple or family in a large van may well be a bargain but for a solo traveller in a small van it most certainly is not.
I don't doubt that it is common practice for owners of rally fields to charge a blanket flat fee per van regardless of size or occupancy. Just because it is the easiest thing for them to do it does not make it fair nor anymore affordable. Accepting this practice and not challenging it is in my view condoning it.
I understand that on being approached the landowners at the Dorset Fun Rally were very amiable when approached about the cost implications for solo travellers and made appropriate concessions. I am much of the view "don't ask don't get". Afterall, it is quite feasible that folk that had never travelled alone would never have considered the matter, and it would be unreasonable to expect everybody to consider every circumstance without a case being presented. My point is that we don't have to accept a "one cap fits all" policy, we can ask for something more favourable.
I appreciate that Jim is a very busy man and does a great deal for Motorhome Fun and I am not suggesting he takes on the role of challenging costs but being this is the "friendliest motorhome forum on the Internet" it would be reasonable to support the needs and voices of not just the majority.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've been a 'solo' motorhomer for more years than I've been part of a couple.

It's my thinking that where no facilities are offered - hook-up, showers etc - the cost to the landowners is the same whether there are one or two people in the 'van and a reduction for solo occupancy is not feasible.

Even the big motorhome shows - Malvern, Peterborough etc - are the same cost for one or two travelling in the same van.

It's just they way it is.

Enjoy your motorhoming without getting too hung up on a couple of quid here and there. After all, the cost of fuel to get to the event far outweighs the site cost but you wouldn't expect to get that half-price!

Last edited:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
am thinking that for those on a very limited income, and being one of those myself, we do have to look for the meets and rallies that fit our purse, would love to go to them all and make the very most of the motorhome that took so long to save for but being a singleton means that we really do have to budget hard to enjoy our fun time away..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back