HELP !!! Fon unit arrived but am absolutely stuck !! (2 Viewers)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Plug it in, all the lights do the right things.. I can connect to it ok
But
I want to configure it how I want it.. ( change the password etc )

I have tried accessing it from my main computer ( http://198.162.10.1 ) and via my iPad and Android fone.

Tried downloading the app and it says not available in the UK :-(

frustration now kicking in big time..
I SHOULD know how to do this but I admit it has me beat :Sad:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Update ( already ! )
Managed to download the android app ok and now changed the password

So...

I am out in the wilds and find a Fon hotspot.. I want to connect to it using my iPad and via my iBoost system

What is the procedure ?

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
just clicked on your link,it didn,t work.
try just 192.168.10.1 ,leaving out http:// that worked for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Log onto the Fon hotspot with your I Boost using your fon password and then just log your ipad on to the Motorhome wifi (iBoost) should do the job.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
just connect to a fon spot using your email address and password you used to setup the fonera,try logging onto fon.com using this same username/password to test it works ok.it should show your fonera box is online ,if it is.
BTW you dont need this connected permanently to connect to a fon hotspot,i,ve had mine offline for a while now,just plugged it in to test the ip address.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need to register your fon and set up the username (e-mail) and password you are using, you cant use it until registered.

Then switch on i-boost and log in as a wifi spot, then go into the set up page via 10.20.30.40 and scan for wifi signal, pick the best signal that is BT Fon or SFR fon etc and log into this with your Fon username and password.

Its all in the instructions are with the iboost and if you have any problems with Fon I have found they are quite good at answering and sorting stuff out.

This is not comprehensive instruction but just to give you the drift.

Martin

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Martin.. been using the iBoost for a while now ( great bit of kit ! ) it was just the other half.. The Fon bit.

Thanks to everyones input I think I have it all working now !

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just connect to a fon spot using your email address and password you used to setup the fonera,try logging onto fon.com using this same username/password to test it works ok.it should show your fonera box is online ,if it is.
BTW you dont need this connected permanently to connect to a fon hotspot,i,ve had mine offline for a while now,just plugged it in to test the ip address.

Which I believe breaks the terms and conditions. Morally it's totally wrong too. I believe that they do periodically "ping" your FON unit to ensure that freeloaders aren't trying to get something for nothing. You may have got away with it up till now but you're taking a chance (and a liberty).

Tim

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
Which I believe breaks the terms and conditions. Morally it's totally wrong too. I believe that they do periodically "ping" your FON unit to ensure that freeloaders aren't trying to get something for nothing. You may have got away with it up till now but you're taking a chance (and a liberty).

Tim

sorry to upset yet another forum "expert" but what i do with my own equipment is my own business,certainly fon know by the mac address weather its online or not ,weather or not they police it is another matter and between me and fon.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sorry to upset yet another forum "expert" but what i do with my own equipment is my own business,certainly fon know by the mac address weather its online or not ,weather or not they police it is another matter and between me and fon.

Seriously, where do you think FON wifi access comes from? Fairies?. No, in this country it's BT internet customers and Fonera users who knowingly or unknowingly, willingly or or unwillingly but most certainly CONTRACTUALLY provide a share of their bandwidth to create a widespread wifi network available to others.

If we were all like you where would these FON access points be? Sure, do what you like with your kit but you're taking without giving and that's wrong.

Tim

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
Seriously, where do you think FON wifi access comes from? Fairies?. No, in this country it's BT internet customers and Fonera users who knowingly or unknowingly, willingly or or unwillingly but most certainly CONTRACTUALLY provide a share of their bandwidth to create a widespread wifi network available to others.

If we were all like you where would these FON access points be? Sure, do what you like with your kit but you're taking without giving and that's wrong.

Tim
so all the bt fon users from bt dont turn turn their internet off ?
you.re havin a laugh.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I leave mine on, thats how the system works:winky:

Martin

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
so all the bt fon users from bt dont turn turn their internet off ?
you.re havin a laugh.

Don't understand this not bothered what anyone else does but my internet has never been switched off, why would it be:Doh:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well I am so confused now just gown to stick my head in with the piranhas and drown my shelf :cry:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mine is on all the time anyway.. has to be for other reasons.

But actually it is not wrong.. Having actually read the terms and conditions it can be interpreted that you have to leave it on but not doing so does not break the contract you enter in to..

Mind you, a bit unsure why you would turn it off.. Not exactly a big power user ( A quick work out .. About .7p a week )

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we moved to our new house we had no internet, no BT phone and almost no 3g or mobile phone signal. We are one of 3 houses at the end of a lane, next nearest house is 1/2 mile away. I joined BT and had to wait a month for connection. BT told me I could use BT wifi for free, till my line was connected. I also had a Fon unit from my other house and used Fon extensively while in France..
No chance using either here, I thought, but incredibly, my neighbour is on BT so I was able to use his wifi to get online using my new BT account and my existing Fon account
A lifesaver, albeit, quite slow.
Fon and BT are providing a global wifi network offering access sharing to members for free and paying access for others.
Fon states....As a member of the Fon community, you agree to share a little bit of your WiFi at home, and get free roaming at Fon Spots worldwide in return. Sharing WiFi with Fon is safe and secure, and you won’t even notice when others are connected because Fon only uses a tiny portion of your bandwidth.

I agree, you can do what you like with yours, but I am sharing mine, even though my broadband speed is a miserly 1.5mb max ( We are 8 miles from the nearest exchange) , as I agreed when I bought the Fon unit.
That way, more people get access to free wifi all over the place.
I'm doing my bit!

Allan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>>> HELP !!! Fon unit arrived but am absolutely stuck !!

How very sad.

Yet it is happening to all of us.

Well I say "us" but of course that of course does not include me.

I have yet to indulge in senile decline, being sober, God fearing and vegetarian.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
>>> HELP !!! Fon unit arrived but am absolutely stuck !!

How very sad.

Yet it is happening to all of us.

Well I say "us" but of course that of course does not include me.

I have yet to indulge in senile decline, being sober, God fearing and vegetarian.

Brian.. On the M6 last night.. A HUGE pile of cow poo was discovered..

I think it might be the bullsh!t you dropped when you posted this ?? :ROFLMAO:

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Been searching the net for one of theses Fon boxes !
Where do you get them ? We are BT customers and have a BT Infinity router is this the same
Link would be handy

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Been searching the net for one of theses Fon boxes !
Where do you get them ? We are BT customers and have a BT Infinity router is this the same
Link would be handy

I don't think you need one if you are a BT customer.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Jaws. Where did you get your fon unit from. Looked on line and they say "not available".

I ordered one successfully just a couple of days ago. I dare say that they'll be back in stock soon.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Jaws. Where did you get your fon unit from. Looked on line and they say "not available".

Ordered it direct from Fon about a week ago.. Guess I was just lucky !

I ordered one successfully just a couple of days ago. I dare say that they'll be back in stock soon.

They do seem incredibly popular at the moment..

The way they are selling is nothing but good news really.
The more sold, the more hot spots there will be :thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I don't realy understand any of this but think I could................ Can I have a word with you at Wrenbury so you could tell me a bit about it? I am a BT Business Infinity customer so should be able to get Fon for when I'm touring? If so need to know what equipment I need to get.
Jacky

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't realy understand any of this but think I could................ Can I have a word with you at Wrenbury so you could tell me a bit about it? I am a BT Business Infinity customer so should be able to get Fon for when I'm touring? If so need to know what equipment I need to get.
Jacky

If you're a BT customer whether residential or business they will have sent you a username and password that will let you access BTWiFi and FON hotspots when mobile. The username will be a @btconnect.com or @btinternet.com email address. Your phone or tablet or whatever will find the hotspot and connect to it. When you connect to the internet it will open a BT Wifi login page to enter these details.

You don't need any special equipment to do this.

The FON box is only needed if you aren't a BT broadband customer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back