LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
I need help urgently, my laptop which has all my work related data on it was working perfectly normal this morning. I closwed it down to go and have breakfast and when I restatrted it I couldnt get past the log in screen up popped the message. " A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Windows product activation error code ox80090019"
I have googled this code and there is info out there but it seems complicated and I have limited experience. I can go into safe mode and I have tried to do a system restore but it will not do one. I have tried to save my file fot the garage but it will not copy and there is no save to button. Can anyone help
Lin

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi Lin, pm American Dream or Camcondor or Doug at the pips, they are pretty good and will be able to help you.
Eileen

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I need help urgently, my laptop which has all my work related data on it was working perfectly normal this morning. I closwed it down to go and have breakfast and when I restatrted it I couldnt get past the log in screen up popped the message. " A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Windows product activation error code ox80090019"
I have googled this code and there is info out there but it seems complicated and I have limited experience. I can go into safe mode and I have tried to do a system restore but it will not do one. I have tried to save my file fot the garage but it will not copy and there is no save to button. Can anyone help
Lin

:Eeek: Have you done ANY Windows Updates recently? Did you try several earlier restores?

Is it a genuine copy of Windows?

What version and does it have SP2 update?

This code can be tied to a few things but usually it is Windows not being able to verify the Product Key. ie. Invalid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lindyloot

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi ,Windows updates automatically, it is a genuine copy of XP purchased from PCV world in Feb 2007 and it does have service pack 2. I can get in via safe mode but it will not let me do much, you cannot access the start menu or control panel but I do have a short cut to my computer on the desk top. I cannot shut down unless I do ctrl alt delete. I cannot save or copy any of my files to disc or usb stick.
Lin

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Lindy
try this, it looks complicated but is straight forward. can you get in to the start menu from safe mode?

Boot into Safe Mode
then

start>run, and type
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
Click OK and wait for the message that the registration succeeded.

Then go to

start>run, and type
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Click OK and wait for the confirmation again.

Reboot the system normally

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
sorry forgot to say, if succesful go back in and then restore computer to an earlier time,

best to before your last updated material.

OP
OP
lindyloot

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi Lindy
try this, it looks complicated but is straight forward. can you get in to the start menu from safe mode?

Boot into Safe Mode
then

start>run, and type
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
Click OK and wait for the message that the registration succeeded.

Then go to

start>run, and type
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Click OK and wait for the confirmation again.

Reboot the system normally
Hi when in safe mode I cannot access the start button on th task bar all I have on my screen are the desktop shortcuts and in the four corners safe mode
Lin

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok lindy, sounds worse..

You have tried a system restore you say, does it allow you to restore to an earlier time not doing a full restore.

Have you tried pressing f11 or f10 or f12 on some pcs whilst starting up and then going in to the boot menu? If so have a look that it's deffinately booting from your c drive and is not booting from anywhere else. can't remember in xp but you could be able to boot from disc and use your xp disc if you have one to restore the code.

Are you sure you have no other bits plugged in to your USB sockets as well?

OP
OP
lindyloot

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Ok lindy, sounds worse..

You have tried a system restore you say, does it allow you to restore to an earlier time not doing a full restore.

Have you tried pressing f11 or f10 or f12 on some pcs whilst starting up and then going in to the boot menu? If so have a look that it's deffinately booting from your c drive and is not booting from anywhere else. can't remember in xp but you could be able to boot from disc and use your xp disc if you have one to restore the code.

Are you sure you have no other bits plugged in to your USB sockets as well?

Yes tried that will not do one, only F8 seems to do anything and nothing else is plugged into my laptop except the mains lead
Lin

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
The following is from the Microsoft help website. Failing this? A FULL re-install of Windows will probably need to be done. :Doh:

To resolve the problem, repair the installation of Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive.
2. Restart your computer.
3. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to start from CD
Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer.
4. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console. This part of the Setup program prepares Windows XP to run on your computer.

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.

To exit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Press 1 to access your primary drive installation by using the Recovery Console.
6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password. If you do not have an administrator password, press ENTER.
7. Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
8. Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do this, type REN File_Name.extensionFile_Name.old at the command prompt.
• Wpa.dbl
• Pidgen.dll
• Actshell.html

Note This file is located in the following subfolder:
oobe
• Licdll.dll
• Regwizc.dll
• Licwmi.dll
• Wpabaln.exe
Note In the previous command, File_Name.extension represents the new file name. Additionally, File_Name.old represents the old file name.
9. Type the drive letter of the CD drive together with a colon, and then press ENTER. For example, you type D:, and then press ENTER.
10. Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
11. Type the following commands individually. Press ENTER after each command:
• Expand licwmi.dl_ %Systemroot%\System32\licwmi.dll
• Expand regwizc.dl_ %Systemroot%\System32\regwizc.dll
• Expand licdll.dl_ %Systemroot%\System32\licdll.dll
• Expand wpabaln.ex_ %Systemroot%\System32\wpabaln.exe
• Expand wpa.db_ %Systemroot%\System32\wpa.dbl
• Expand actshell.ht_ %Systemroot%\System32\oobe\actshell.htm
• Copy pidgen.dll %Systemroot%\System32
12. Type Exit, and then press ENTER to restart the computer.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

Prior to that, have you tried repairing the operating system?

1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive.
2. Restart your computer.
3. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to start from CD
Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer.
4. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console. This part of the Setup program prepares Windows XP to run on your computer.

WARNING. DO NOT FORMAT/DELETE/MODIFY THE SYSTEM PARTITIONS.

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation WITHOUT using Recovery Console,continue along the install route NOT pressing "R"

Press F8 to accept licencing agreement.

The installation routine will look for existing Windows installations.

It should come up with something like C:\WINDOWS

It should come up with something like To repair the existing windows installation press "R".

It then checks Drive "C"

It'll then proceed to reload all the Operating System files and ask for the activation key.

Try that one first.Seems a bit drastic to reinstall first, and this way will only take a few minutes.

I'd give it a try first.

Steve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lindyloot

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Update

Thanks to all for your help. Today I took laptop back to PC World only to be told a 3 day wait so took it back to work. Spoke to some friends who use computers in the course of their work and they phoned up their computer compny that does things for them The company asked me to drop it round asap which i did. 3 hours later I get a phone call from them a worm or virus had invaded the laptop and completely f%^&*(% it up. They hope to be able to retreive some of my data and will have to wipe it clean and reformat it, then reload the programmes. They are also going to scan some software that I got off ebay to see if they are the culprits . If that is the cause then i shall be wanting compensation as well as my mioney back ( am in a dispute with the seller before this happened)
Lin

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
sorry to hear that lindy, :cry:
Its a pain in the arse I know,,,, having had to do several reinstalls myself. I ddid have concerns when my first fix never done anything.

good luck with it though:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back