New French gendarme teams crack down on speeding (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Interesting and quite frightening article in the Sunday Times describes the way the French police are cracking down on speeding British drivers:

"It’s your money or your licence: France welcomes rosbif drivers"

They expect to make €1.73bn (£1.38bn) in speeding fines in 2014, up from €1.66bn last year. They are lying in wait for us in the Nord-Pas de Calais, so be careful. You only need to do 1kph over the speed limit and they will stop and fine you, there are no warning signs, and they wait till you reach the next toll booths to arrest you! The penalties are very severe... read the article!:thumbdown:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I was led to believe you could also get done by your average speed between tolls

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Seen plenty of Brits speeding away from the channel ports in France, some of them getting stopped by police. All they have to do is keep to the limit, after all, they are on holiday.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My mate (stupid) was recently done for doing 200 km there. Fine 1000 euros and they took his UK licence which they have told him will be forwarded back in 3 months...........it was pay straight away or take the car...........

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I was led to believe you could also get done by your average speed between tolls
IIRC, that was about 30 years ago. What would they do if you proved that you stopped and innocently changed drivers between toll booths ?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Why do you say that they are targetting Brits, I suspect they target everyone who is caught speeding... I would suspect that the vast majority of those caught would be French. Motto, don't speed.

The Toll road speeding, they would have one hell of a job catching me, I nearly always on a long stretch, stop for a coffee..

On my last trip on the Toll roads, I was keeping to a steady 90kmph... Great for fuel economy...:thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
hFC295223

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IIRC, that was about 30 years ago. What would they do if you proved that you stopped and innocently changed drivers between toll booths ?

It's an age thing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's rare for us to speed anywhere - we're already on holiday, what could possibly be the rush?

As the van speedo always reads more (a greater number of mph) than TomTom, if we go by that we should be OK we always reckon.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Reading it again I suppose they could do you both:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't see a problem.. the French are tough on those breaking the speed limits. :thumb:

Also tough on drink driving.. :thumb:

If you have more than 0.8g/l : licence confiscated, fine up to 4500 euros and possible jail time up to 2 years, decided by a judge

Speeding fines here

Link Removed

Speeding fines in France
Foreigner or not, speeding is punishable by law (usual speed limits). Having a french driving licence or not, driving a vehicle with french driving plates or not, will make a difference in the outcome:
- You are arrested by the police or gendarmerie for moderate speeding. Fine to be paid on the spot. Points lost if french driving licence.
- You are arrested by the police or gendarmerie for inmoderate speeding (in excess of 50km/h). Fine to be paid, licence confiscated, vehicle might be impounded.
- You are caught speeding by a speed camera but not arrested with a foreign registered car. You are not likely to ever have to pay the fine, except if you are from Luxembourg. For now. Check here for more.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
And it might have been a bit of luck that there weren't any cameras on a certain road in SE France one evening about 12 years ago when somebody may have managed 185 miles in around 2 hours.

**Whistles innocently ***

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

WRONG Sorry !

1) Not between 2 tolls , but between 2 precise cameras without aire / place where you could or should stop on the way

2) Not ready yet

So nothing to worry YET!

Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
[HI]Why do you say that they are targetting Brits, I[/HI] suspect they target everyone who is caught speeding... I would suspect that the vast majority of those caught would be French. Motto, don't speed.

The Toll road speeding, they would have one hell of a job catching me, I nearly always on a long stretch, stop for a coffee..

On my last trip on the Toll roads, I was keeping to a steady 90kmph... Great for fuel economy...:thumb:

The article says it - I didn't!!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I couldn't speed on an Autoroute driving downhill with a following wind - not a lot to worry about there as I see it.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I remember similar articles in the British press 10-15 years ago basically suggesting the same thing. I am sure the French target speeding the same way police do here. I doubt very much its an excuse to target Brits. Make's for a sensational story though and give someone at the papers a job.

Steve

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We came back from Le Mans a couple of weeks ago on the bikes and the speed cameras were out in force but pulled just as many French bikes as Brit bikes, definitely not targeting just Brits that weekend.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Le Mans

Whilst travelling from Calais during the above week (didn't know at the time !) there were many, actually, many sporty + good looking English vehicles passed us ( of course) 'en route' to the event. It was very obvious due to the livery the occupants slapped on their cars. The traffic we saw were not speeding at all but seemed to actually relish in showing off their cars and enjoying the ride. in the sun

:Nowink:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Isn't this just a revenue collecting excersise. All police forces that use covert systems to catch one speeding are just money snatchers.

If they, the police and the governments genuinely want to deter people from speeding on a particular stretch of highway, wouldn't it be more appropriate to be highly visible so as to deter all and future users of the road.

Average speed cameras, in Britain, virtually stop speeding on dangerous roads.
Q.Why are they not used on all major (or minor) roads where speeding might be a problem.

A. No speeding ....no revenue.

PS..... yours truely hasn't had as much as a parking ticket.::bigsmile::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Isn't this just a revenue collecting excersise.[HI] All police forces that use covert systems to catch one speeding are just money snatchers.[/HI]

If they, the police and the governments genuinely want to deter people from speeding on a particular stretch of highway, wouldn't it be more appropriate to be highly visible so as to deter all and future users of the road.

Average speed cameras, in Britain, virtually stop speeding on dangerous roads.
Q.Why are they not used on all major (or minor) roads where speeding might be a problem.

A. No speeding ....no revenue.

PS..... yours truely hasn't had as much as a parking ticket.::bigsmile::thumb:

Why? If people discipline themselves not to speed there will be no money to make ::bigsmile:

As I've said before, if the authorities here really wanted to make money they would put officers on dual carriageways like the A19 between Teesside & Thirsk and catch virtually every Transit, Berlingo/Partner (& similar) van because few travel within the 60 limit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And it might have been a bit of luck that there weren't any cameras on a certain road in SE France one evening about 12 years ago when somebody may have managed 185 miles in around 2 hours.

**Whistles innocently ***

2 hours.

Must have been a push bike.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
if you are flashed by a static camera dont worry cos the frogies wont pay the dvla for driver info . :moon::moon::moon: stan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back