Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Hopefully off to mainland Europe around the end of September for our first ever over the channel sun chasing adventure.
I was wondering about winter tyres & the law in France & Germany. I have normal general use camping tyres and have no desire to splash out .
We will be wanting to avoid winter conditions in any case and will be aiming for the warm bits. I just wondered if there's a genuine requirement to carry snow chains or socks anywhere over there?
All advice greatly appreciated:Smile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
At end of Sept you'll need to be above 2500m to find snow and even then they'll be nothing on the roads, for that you need to be at 3500m and I doubt your Camper will manage that as there are only a few roads at that altitude and they aint for camping cars…..

You'd be extremely unlucky to get caught out but just to be safe avoid the mountain passes and chase the sun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hopefully off to mainland Europe around the end of September for our first ever over the channel sun chasing adventure.
I was wondering about winter tyres & the law in France & Germany. I have normal general use camping tyres and have no desire to splash out .
We will be wanting to avoid winter conditions in any case and will be aiming for the warm bits. I just wondered if there's a genuine requirement to carry snow chains or socks anywhere over there?
All advice greatly appreciated:Smile:

You won't need them in September. However, next time you replace them, consider running a winter tyre all year round. You don't do this on a car, because they wear the tread quicker, especially at high speed. However, on a motorhome usually driven at 60mph or less, you tend to replace due to sidewall cracking, not tread wear. A softer winter compound tyre will more likely last 10 years on the sidewall than 6. And it still won't have worn out the tread...

As for the law, these things change all the time, but I think German law is based on conditions. i.e. you must have winter tyres when it is snowy, frosty or icy. In France, it is only in the mountains. In Austria, between November and April...

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You won't need them in September. However, next time you replace them, consider running a winter tyre all year round. You don't do this on a car, because they wear the tread quicker, especially at high speed. However, on a motorhome usually driven at 60mph or less, you tend to replace due to sidewall cracking, not tread wear. A softer winter compound tyre will more likely last 10 years on the sidewall than 6. And it still won't have worn out the tread...

As for the law, these things change all the time, but I think German law is based on conditions. i.e. you must have winter tyres when it is snowy, frosty or icy. In France, it is only in the mountains. In Austria, between November and April...

I'd would disagree with this.

2yrs ago the van I bought was delivered with Vanco Winters on, the dealer said they would be fine, the 38 degree South of France roads had other ideas…. they wore out extremely quickly and when we got back I contacted Continental who advised not to run true winter tires all year round. We took the tires and the email back to the dealer and they agreed to replace them.

It's correct that the lower speeds have less impact but unless you can find 4 season tires then I wouldn't recommend it. I run 4 seasons on my car and they are OK although not fantastic, my wife prefers true winters and she's probably just smarter than me:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ideally all season tyres are the key here.
mind i put summer tyres on mine as i usualy only do winters in warm climates .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I'd would disagree with this.

2yrs ago the van I bought was delivered with Vanco Winters on, the dealer said they would be fine, the 38 degree South of France roads had other ideas…. they wore out extremely quickly and when we got back I contacted Continental who advised not to run true winter tires all year round. We took the tires and the email back to the dealer and they agreed to replace them.

It's correct that the lower speeds have less impact but unless you can find 4 season tires then I wouldn't recommend it. I run 4 seasons on my car and they are OK although not fantastic, my wife prefers true winters and she's probably just smarter than me:Doh:

We had continental vanco winters on and ran all year round, found them wonderful tyres, they do wear a little quicker than other winters, according to reports. Better wearing winters are Bridgestone Blizzak w800, Toyo H09 and Vredstein comtrac.

We have used the Bridgestone w800, Toyo H09 and vanco winter 2, the Toyo and Bridgestone are much better for wear, I suppose though in the temps you are talking about they could wear a little more.

Paul.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
ideally all season tyres are the key here.
mind i put summer tyres on mine as i usualy only do winters in warm climates .

Yes, I was meaning all season M&S tyres, rather than the full mountain snowflake, especially if you're heading for the desert!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back