Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Do you have yellowing headlight lenses?

The headlight lenses on our campervan were yellowing with age and most of the lacquer film has come off; they may have been an MoT failure due to the colour. I rubbed some toothpaste on them this afternoon, rinsed them off and applied car polish. They look almost as good as new now. Whitening toothpaste is reported to be better than normal toothpaste but I just added a bit of baking soda paste for a bit more abrasion.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Does your sink have a smell coming up from the waste tank?

Our kitchen sink used get the smells from the waste water tank below. Now we add some biological washing liquid (which we use to stop our loo from smelling) to the tank when the smell starts and it stops quickly. We also rinse out the tank with diluted biological washing liquid every so often to reduce the likelihood of the smell starting.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

Our kitchen sink used get the smells from the waste water tank below. Now we add some biological washing liquid (which we use to stop our loo from smelling) to the tank when the smell starts and it stops quickly. We also rinse out the tank with diluted biological washing liquid every so often to reduce the likelihood of the smell starting.

We do same and it works for us
A quick fix that was recommend for to us is a bottle of cheap orange soda pop
Sounds daft but it works fine and smells ok as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Do you have yellowing headlight lenses?

The headlight lenses on our campervan were yellowing with age and most of the lacquer film has come off; they may have been an MoT failure due to the colour. I rubbed some toothpaste on them this afternoon, rinsed them off and applied car polish. They look almost as good as new now. Whitening toothpaste is reported to be better than normal toothpaste but I just added a bit of baking soda paste for a bit more abrasion.

For a great look use an avocado yes an avocado

or left over car polish

or you can buy a proper restoration kit

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
For a great look use an avocado yes an avocado

or left over car polish

or you can buy a proper restoration kit

What does the avocado do?

I've had mixed feedback re restoration kits but had good results with 2 mins. rubbing with toothpaste and then polishing with autoglym car polish.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your answer here............................

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_WF5Iei_I"]How To Restore Your Headlights - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'll give it a try sometime - it would be a good use of a skin. Not sure that I would use urine though - I can't see any noticeable difference. Toothpaste worked well for me. I'll feedback when I have finished with my mum's car tomorrow - it failed its MOT due to the hazing on the headlights and I'm hoping to fix it because her garage quoted her £20 per light to get the haze off :whatthe:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
What does the avocado do?

I've had mixed feedback re restoration kits but had good results with 2 mins. rubbing with toothpaste and then polishing with autoglym car polish.

It gives you a .....WAIT FOR IT......A.....SHINEY PAIR!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................

I find Home Brew does the trick::bigsmile:

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My mum's car failed it's MoT so I made some repairs as below:

Headlights were deteriorated beyond a toothpaste fix so I used wet and dry paper froma1500 through to 3000 grit to remove the pits and scratches followed by Autoglym glass polish and then a top coat of gloss polish. 20 mins of elbow grease per light and it they are almost as good as new. Sandpaper from Amazon seller cost £6 for 6 sheets of different grits and arrived in 24hrs.

Indicator light delivered from Ireland in 2 days for less than £20 to replace a broken lens.

Windscreen washer was not working although the pump was making a noise and found that the pump filter was blocked by a jelly like substance - probably algae. It worked perfectly once the jelly was removed.

Feeling chuffed and, of course, if I have to do it again, it will take half the time :)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our van side windows had some noticeable scratches from twigs etc. from overhanging branches etc. on the side of the road. I used rubbing compound to remove most of them.

I used the same compound to repair two Casio watches that were scratched to the point of making telling the time difficult. They look almost scratch free now.

Before rubbing:
WatchBefore.jpg
After rubbing but before washing to remove excess compound
WatchAfter.jpg

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This is a shower tray before I applied HG mould spray from Homebase (http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/mould-spray-902134)

image.jpg

Two or three applications later (over a couple of hours) without scrubbing:

image.jpg

Very satisfying. I've tried other stain removers but they don't seem to work as effectively and / or require scrubbing.

I've also used HG lime scale remover with good results:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For the wooden step ladders used to climb up to the drop down/bunk beds put foam pipe lagging around them secure it with a plastic tie thing.

In the shower on site not enough hooks for your clothes take a couple of S hooks with you hang them over the door.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back