Where to buy a PVC for less than £6,000? (1 Viewer)

RedHead28

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Transit conversion
Exp
A not quite so newbie anymore!
Hi,

Found this website having visited Stratford today, lots of information which is great.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dealers that sell older panel van conversions. My 13yr old daughter and I are planning to leave the UK in September to spend a few months traveling through Europe - Netherlands, Belgium, France and Italy (if we can make it that far financially and emotionally!).

I know it will be an older model for the money, and the engine is the top priority but we want to also use the Aires to keep the costs down so a toilet compartment / shower would be necessary / nice.

Been recommended JMT Leisure near Bristol and have been trawling Ebay and Gumtree for a couple of weeks. A Ford Transit or Peugeot Boxer seem to be top of the likely candidates. Any thoughts?!

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
For your budget i think you would be best buying private, a good 20% or more of your money will be profit if you buy from a dealer.
Private purchase and a few quid spent on a inspection if you are not mechanically minded would be my recommendation. Join motorhome buy and sell on facebook a few in your price range come up now and again.
OH and if you have'nt already pay a tenner and ask all you want to know.

Good look

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As mentioned before, spend your £10 on this forum. It will save you many many pounds, and also offer great advice on your potential purchase.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

Found this website having visited Stratford today, lots of information which is great.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any dealers that sell older panel van conversions. My 13yr old daughter and I are planning to leave the UK in September to spend a few months traveling through Europe - Netherlands, Belgium, France and Italy (if we can make it that far financially and emotionally!).

I know it will be an older model for the money, and the engine is the top priority but we want to also use the Aires to keep the costs down so a toilet compartment / shower would be necessary / nice.

Been recommended JMT Leisure near Bristol and have been trawling Ebay and Gumtree for a couple of weeks. A Ford Transit or Peugeot Boxer seem to be top of the likely candidates. Any thoughts?!

Your main problem at this end of the market is that sometimes things just don't work, particularly things like gas heaters, chargers, batteries, water pumps etc.

If you're handy with a spanner and a multimeter, it will make much more sense than if you are one to get a man in. If you are the latter, I would only buy for this price if you know of the vehicle (or owner) personally or through a club like this, where people might be more embarrassed about selling a lemon.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome to fun,,

Watch out for scams on gumtree and ebay.. NEVER part with any cash, even a small deposit until you have seen the van...

If your on Facebook I have a group where vans get listed..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/610527115641833/

There is a nice compass drifter on there for £6,500 ono if you fancy a coachbuilt..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are into DIY you would be better off converting your own van. The problem with a 6K MH is you are paying 5.5K for the conversion and £500 for the van.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You are in a very dodgy price range there, if you are a bit handy you can probably get one for 3 grand that would do you admarable and don't stand to lose much money, but when you go up into the next range you could be geting a bargain or one that is still only worth 3 grand but over priced, you really need someone who knows about them to go with you

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Plenty of advice on here from very experianced owners so use it.

I was looking in this area with a price tag of 7k with a back up of a family loan so the options I had in mind for the 7k bit was specific either an ol mercedes autotrail or possibly a talbot & I quite fancied the merc trouble was when I was looking they werent to be seen, there are now at least 3 on ebay at the moment.

We ended up with the family loan option & are glad we did.

Good Luck :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RedHead28

RedHead28

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Transit conversion
Exp
A not quite so newbie anymore!
Just an update to my original post - thank you for your comments and yes, pretty sure I'll be paying my £10 to join the forum!

Thankfully, via Ebay I found a 2005 Ford Transit 350 LWB, for £5,500. Went to see it yesterday, the conversion needs some tidying up, but it has what we need and more besides in the way of Rhino roof bars and brand new tow bar. The last two items I will be removing to sell, as there is a canopy awning to go back on as well as a back door step - which will be more useful to us.

Most importantly though the vehicle seems to have been well looked after and it has done 78,500 miles so not too bad for an 05 van.

Driving it will take some getting used to having never driven a van until today, rear camera in the planning! Let's hope the 13yr old daughter does not get too hit too hard with the reality of living in it for 3mths round Europe....

Caroline

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back